Top Of The World - Moab - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 Old 03-12-2009, 11:16 PM Thread Starter
Cliff333
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Top Of The World - Moab

Sorry guys I am a little late on this TR... I have been Backcountry skiing the past few days. This past Sunday we decided to do Top Of The World... a jeep trail that's about 40 min north of Moab and 15 min from my house. It had just snowed up in the mountains the day before and we weren't sure if the trail was going to be covered with snow since it ends on top of Waring Mesa which is 7,000 ft high. The day was sunny and a bit colder than usual. The top half of the trail which is rated hard in Well's book was made a little harder since it had a few inches of snow in some places. It’s a good thing a few of the obstacles had bypasses because my Dad would have had trouble in his stock XJ without skid plates. Any type of a lift and it’s not bad... I only bottomed out once. Anyway on to the pics...

The trail starts in a pretty cool area called Dewey Bridge and heads east towards the mesa on a dirt road.

The view just past the start of the trail

The main trend of this trail was broken rocky ledges

Part way up... the view is getting better

This ledge was kinda tricky and took a few attempts

Random Shots

Some of the many ledges

1998 Cherokee Classic
Current Mods
6.5" Rough Country Long Arm Lift on 33s - SYE / CV Drive Shaft - Wheel Spacers - adj. Track Bar - Sway Bar Discos - Surco Roof Rack With Hi Lift jack - ARB Front Bumper - Warn MX8000 Winch - Flowmaster Catback - Upgraded Stereo System - Hella Lights - Custom Seat Covers and Door Thresholds
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old 03-12-2009, 11:18 PM Thread Starter
Cliff333
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Rocks and Snow

Sorry some of these pics have a white haze going on due to some water drops on the camera I didn't notice.

This hill would have been tricky if some of the snow didn't melt the afternoon before

Getting closer to the top

1998 Cherokee Classic
Current Mods
6.5" Rough Country Long Arm Lift on 33s - SYE / CV Drive Shaft - Wheel Spacers - adj. Track Bar - Sway Bar Discos - Surco Roof Rack With Hi Lift jack - ARB Front Bumper - Warn MX8000 Winch - Flowmaster Catback - Upgraded Stereo System - Hella Lights - Custom Seat Covers and Door Thresholds
post #3 of 21 Old 03-12-2009, 11:19 PM Thread Starter
Cliff333
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Guiding my Dad through the maze of rocks... I told him he has to get a lift lol

A view from the Top Of The World...looking down at Fisher Towers

The Lasal Mountains, kinda hazy due to the bright sun and my ****ty camera

Onion Creek Ranch from above

You can't see them in this pic due to the lack of zoom but you are looking directly across at the wind caves you visit while doing Dome Plateau Trail.

The jeeps and the view back the way we came

"Hey you can almost see my house from here" The tip of Castle Rock in the distance

1998 Cherokee Classic
Current Mods

post #4 of 21 Old 03-12-2009, 11:20 PM Thread Starter
Cliff333
1998 XJ Cherokee 

We hung around for a while and ate lunch but since it was kinda windy and cold we decided to head back down.

Back down the rocks

More Ledges

1998 Cherokee Classic
Current Mods
post #5 of 21 Old 03-12-2009, 11:22 PM Thread Starter
Cliff333
1998 XJ Cherokee 

After we got back down from Top Of The World we decided to take an easier ride to Dolores River Overlook. The trail is very easy... more like a dirt road but very long.

A view down a random canyon on the way to the overlook.

We got to the overlook right at sunset. Some of these pics got a little messed up due to lighting but it was sweet hanging out looking out at the river and the sunset.

I got to try out my new lights on the long bumpy ride back. All in all a sweet trail The next one that was on list for this weekend was Poison Spider Mesa but due to a recently discovered blown U joint it may have to wait till sometime next week.

1998 Cherokee Classic
Current Mods
post #6 of 21 Old 03-13-2009, 08:17 AM
Northsidejeepin
2008 JK Wrangler 

Awesome pics! Thanks for sharing with us.
post #7 of 21 Old 03-13-2009, 11:21 AM
IGotADisneyJeep

2000 TJ Wrangler 

What a beautiful place and looks like both of you had fun. Thank You for sharing your pictures.

I'm Michael, Founder of: "Jeeps Gone Wild™"
www.JeepsGoneWild.org
<><
post #8 of 21 Old 03-13-2009, 01:36 PM
Polecat

2006 LJ Wrangler 

Your pics and trail reports rock man. I wish I would have known about a lot of these trails last June when I was there.

Over the mountains and through the woods, across the stream and up the slickrock, down the canyon and over the rocks to nobody's house I go.
post #9 of 21 Old 03-13-2009, 02:48 PM
ThrillSeeker
1998 ZJ 

Nice pics there Cliff... Looks and sounds like you had a good time

Now what's up with TWO CT Jeeps in Moab? Did you talk your Dad from CT into coming out West?

Eat Rocks... **** Dust...
Get In Sit Down Shut Up and Hold On....
post #10 of 21 Old 03-13-2009, 10:55 PM Thread Starter
Cliff333
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Thanks guys!
Quote:
Now what's up with TWO CT Jeeps in Moab? Did you talk your Dad from CT into coming out West?
Haha no, both me and my parents moved from CT to Utah last October and we just haven't gotten around to re registering the jeeps yet. We figure we will wait till the CT reg runs out before paying to re register in Utah.

1998 Cherokee Classic
Current Mods
post #11 of 21 Old 03-14-2009, 08:49 PM
TheEddie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northsidejeepin View Post
Awesome pics! Thanks for sharing with us.
Quote:
Originally Posted by IGotADisneyJeep View Post
What a beautiful place and looks like both of you had fun. Thank You for sharing your pictures.
We are definitely running this trail next April. That view is amazing.

Current: 02 TJ

Past Jeeps: 01 TJ, 97 TJ, 98 XJ, 2000 WJ
post #12 of 21 Old 03-16-2009, 11:56 AM
my73CJ
1973 CJ5 

great pics. I'm heading to Moab the week of April 13th. Hope to take a day and rent a rubi for some more serious stuff, will have a trail blazer for all the other times.
looks like fun
post #13 of 21 Old 03-16-2009, 09:15 PM Thread Starter
Cliff333
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
great pics. I'm heading to Moab the week of April 13th. Hope to take a day and rent a rubi for some more serious stuff, will have a trail blazer for all the other times.
looks like fun
Awesome!... you will have a great time. On my first trip ever to Moab we rented a rubi and went wheelin. Hey I noticed you live in CT, I lived in CT my whole life till I moved out here near Moab this past October. I used to live in Torrington in the North West corner. Where do you live?

1998 Cherokee Classic
Current Mods
post #14 of 21 Old 03-17-2009, 08:16 PM
rkates
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Love the pics man.

Robert

black xj

IndyORV™

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #15 of 21 Old 03-27-2009, 02:34 PM
lupinsea

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Awesome photos. Very nice! I gotta get my Jeep down there some day.

- Jay

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.