Southern Indiana - Interlake April 2013 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Trail Reports & Pictures > Southern Indiana - Interlake April 2013

Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 04-24-2013, 12:53 PM   #1
sdillinger
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Southern Indiana - Interlake April 2013

Saturday and Sunday 4/20 and 4/21

Interlake DNR property, Lynnville, Indiana
20 miles east of Evansville Indiana off Interstate 64
No fee to use property, but vehicles must either have plates or ORV tags.

Site amenities:
Bathrooms, picnic shelter, large parking lot, smooth gravel main road

Weather: Clear 50-65 degrees depending on breeze or cloud cover.

Pros:
No crowds, even on the weekend. We never had to wait behind anybody else.
Very cool place, fun scenery, something for everyone.
The trails marked difficult are a lot of fun.
Enough trails for 2-3 days.
No fee.

Cons:
Most trails are not marked.The whole first day it seemed like we were on Trail #2.
Don't let the large acreage fool you, the whole site is not open to Jeeps. Look at the 4x4 trails on the map.
Some trails end due to being overgrown or are marked closed.
Trail numbers not marked on map.
Some trails shown on map were not found on site, even with a GPS.

Trails:
Large easy main trails in the open areas, mild enough for stock 4x4's, big enough for huge full-size trucks, although we didn't see many of those.
Despite steady rain all week, the trails were pretty dry. Some puddles in the low areas but they all had solid bottoms (except one big mud hole at the exit of trail 19)

Tips:
Use a GPS if you have one. Most trails are marked #1 or #2, which is not helpful. I saw one sign for #3, then nothing from #4-#18
Even with a GPS, print maps off the website before you go. There are no maps available on site.
Don't leave without doing Trail 19.

My experience:
We had a group of 4 on the first day. My YJ with open axles and 33's, a CJ7 locked on 36's, TJ locked on 36's, and a TJ Rubicon on 33's. The Rubicon did not stay for the second day. The goal was to run all of the 4x4 trails. It looks like we hit about 85% of the 4x4 areas over two days. We missed the northeast area trails. See links below for the routes from my GPS. We did have some damage to our Jeeps but they were all avoidable. There were three encounters with trees with the CJ and one with the YJ. The big TJ couldnt resist the large mudhole at the end of day 2, got mud in the clutch and had to be towed back to the parking lot.

It looks like the place still has some potential for new trails if they allow the unmarked areas to be opened up for Jeeps and trucks. Overall I would say it's definately worth the 4.5 hour trip it took us to get there.

Link to entire album:
http://s87.photobucket.com/user/hbfl...20April%202013

Saturday Route from my GPS
http://adventures.garmin.com/en-US/b.../#.UXa_GLUqbvd

Sunday Route
http://adventures.garmin.com/en-US/b.../#.UXa_F7Uqbvd

Unread 04-24-2013, 02:32 PM   #2
lost in mud

Nice pictures. I am moving to the Evansville area next week and didn't realize i would have a place to wheel 30 mins from my apartment.
lost in mud is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-01-2013, 02:59 AM   #3
JkE
2001 TJ Wrangler 

I have been up there twice but never made it too far off the main trail since I didn't have another vehicle with me. Still had fun and look forward to heading that way this summer.
JkE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-01-2013, 07:35 AM   #4
ToxicTJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by JkE
I have been up there twice but never made it too far off the main trail since I didn't have another vehicle with me. Still had fun and look forward to heading that way this summer.
I've been wanting to go down there but none of my fellow wheelers want to waste 4 hours driving down there when the badlands is only 30-40 min from us, I use my jeep for daily drivin and weekend wheelin so I don't do anything too crazy but if someone wants another jeep to tag along let me know!

image-1687948313.jpg

image-162244788.jpg

image-351332735.jpg
ToxicTJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-01-2013, 12:04 PM   #5
nwiTJdave

Toxic, I used to make the 4.5 hr trek once a year from northern Indiana down there for a few days of wheeling solo (yea yea). I love it down there. Its peaceful, wide variety of trails and the scenery is relaxing. Plus, there is usually nobody there (and its large enough that if there is you rarely run into them). Not to mention it is free to get in (well aside from paying taxes to the state). Most of the trails down there you are okay so long as you have a winch. The biggest issue is being on trails that turn into ATV only or horse only trails. Some of the trails that are over grown as nobody has driven them are actually pretty fun. I've got a few trail reports on here from both times I went that you can check out for some other trails.

This is for fighting, this is for fun.
nwiTJdave is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-09-2013, 03:51 PM   #6
lost in mud

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToxicTJ View Post
I've been wanting to go down there but none of my fellow wheelers want to waste 4 hours driving down there when the badlands is only 30-40 min from us, I use my jeep for daily drivin and weekend wheelin so I don't do anything too crazy but if someone wants another jeep to tag along let me know!

Attachment 619282

Attachment 619283

Attachment 619285
Ill be getting my jeep here in a month or so now that I am moved in and have plans to go up there a couple times a month so Ill shoot ya a PM when i know im heading up there.
Unread 05-09-2013, 09:30 PM   #7
ToxicTJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by lost in mud

Ill be getting my jeep here in a month or so now that I am moved in and have plans to go up there a couple times a month so Ill shoot ya a PM when i know im heading up there.
Sounds good names TJ, where u located now?
Unread 05-10-2013, 06:59 AM   #8
lost in mud

Quote:
Sounds good names TJ, where u located now?
East side of Evansville. Got moved here for a project at a power plant in Petersburg, IN.
Unread 05-20-2013, 08:04 PM   #9
Jeeper4life88
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Wow, didn't really know about this place. I'm up north in Fort Wayne. I will have to make a trip down there when things calm down a bit for me..

2004 Jeep Liberty- BFG A/T's and some skid's and tow hooks, otherwise pretty much stock.
Jeeper4life88 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-20-2013, 10:37 PM   #10
ToxicTJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeeper4life88
Wow, didn't really know about this place. I'm up north in Fort Wayne. I will have to make a trip down there when things calm down a bit for me..
PM me when u do, I'm down in martinsville so we can meet up on your way down
Unread 05-21-2013, 05:30 PM   #11
Jeeper4life88
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
PM me when u do, I'm down in martinsville so we can meet up on your way down
Will do man, one of my buddies has an 03 rubi with a 2 inch lift that would probably join us if you didn't mind.

2004 Jeep Liberty- BFG A/T's and some skid's and tow hooks, otherwise pretty much stock.
Unread 05-21-2013, 05:50 PM   #12
ToxicTJ

Quote:

Will do man, one of my buddies has an 03 rubi with a 2 inch lift that would probably join us if you didn't mind.
Not at all the more the merrier lol I've just got a 3" budget boost and it's my daily driver so I don't do anything too crazy lol
Unread 05-21-2013, 05:59 PM   #13
Jeeper4life88
1997 TJ Wrangler 

yeah mines my DD also, after my last wheeling trip and getting water in the trans, I plan to be more careful! lol

Unread 05-21-2013, 07:35 PM   #14
ToxicTJ

Quote:
yeah mines my DD also, after my last wheeling trip and getting water in the trans, I plan to be more careful! lol
Ouch! I've had mine through a pit that burnt up my fan clutch but that was as bad as its got for me so no biggie
Unread 05-21-2013, 09:18 PM   #15
Jeeper4life88
1997 TJ Wrangler 

yeah I limped it home from the park.. all part of wheeling right? lol

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.