Snow wheeling Paiute pass 1/12/13 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Trail Reports & Pictures > Snow wheeling Paiute pass 1/12/13

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitTHE NEW! VANCO DUAL MODE 15”/16″ Big Brake Kit w/BlaFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 01-13-2013, 08:19 PM   #1
Phimosis
2012 JK Wrangler 

Snow wheeling Paiute pass 1/12/13

Southern California. Open year round. No permits or anything needed.
pics are 2012 Rubicon with 38.5x15 Boggers running 6 psi.

At 6,500 feet elevation, as the snow started to get more than a few inches thick, there were a few steep hills with some old tracks in the snow and everyone else having turned around, it was all virgin snow, without a track in sight.

After a 10 minute run at 6,500 rpm I started to overheat, even running the heater on full blast. The computer started dropping my rpm incrementally, 6,000, 5,500, 5,000 and when I was down to about 4,500 rpm, I got to a spot that was flat enough that I could get my rig moving again, so I stopped and let it idle until it was cool again.

After a few stops to cut out fallen trees across the road and more 6,500 rpm runs, I made it to the top and started to go down the backside towards Weldon. When I got to the signs that pointed towards Bodfish and Lake Isabella, I realized I missed the fire trail that goes to the Peak of Paiute Mountain, so I headed back.

On that last fire trail, about a quater mile from the peak, the snow was so deep that my bumper was plowing snow and I could't make it all the way to the top. My last tracks were 30" from the snow surface to tread marks, but it was still packed snow without any dirt to be seen.

Goodyear Wrangler MTR's clogged up with snow. He did eventually get himself out of this mess. What you can't see is that it's at the edge of the trail with a scary downhill slope. I was very impressed by his skills!

Phimosis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-13-2013, 10:34 PM   #2
BAMFpullin719
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Sweet. Thats a sharp looking jk in all white on white. What gears are turning those 38s?
BAMFpullin719 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-14-2013, 09:57 AM   #3
Jeffro06
October 2012 TJOTM

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Very nice.

Moab Trails I've done: Onion Creek, Long Canyon, Dome Plateau, Top of The World (2), Fins-N-Things (2), Poison Spider,
Golden Spike, Gold Bar Rim, Hell's Revenge (2), Baby Lion Back, Cliff Hanger, Moab Rim, Kane Creek Canyon, Strike Ravine

Shortcuts to key points in my build: MTRk's OME 2" HD Lift Antirock Skidrow steering box & radiator skids LoD rear bumper
Rokmen Mercenary bumper w/Superwinch Rokmen sliders Skidrow engine skid Rampage Top CB set up
Custom trunk Rokmen 1" Billet spacers JJ track bar Rokmen Adjustable Control Arms Currectlync Steering
Rokmen Trail Corners Metalcloak Overlines Kentrol Hood Latches JK Turn Signals Xenon 4" Flat Flares Hood Decal Duratracs
Derale Tranny Cooler DieHard Factor 55 Thimble Ten Factory Front Chromo Shafts

Get your build sheet here.
Jeffro06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-14-2013, 10:06 AM   #4
jonwood
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Looks fun, snow wheelin at night is a blast!!
Unread 01-14-2013, 10:12 AM   #5
Tom95YJ
[] Eye'd Jeep Connoisseur

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Nice pics I did a little snow wheeling this weekend with a few local Jeepforum members also. We had knee deep snow most of the time

Sent from iPhoneusing JeepForum
Unread 01-14-2013, 10:56 PM   #6
Phimosis
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAMFpullin719 View Post
Sweet. Thats a sharp looking jk in all white on white. What gears are turning those 38s?
5.13's. When I'm seriously digging, it's usually in 3rd lo.
Phimosis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-15-2013, 07:27 PM   #7
outbackmatt

Man why cant we get snow around here! Awesome jeep btw. One of the best looking wranglers Ive ever seen.
outbackmatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-23-2013, 06:15 PM   #8
grogie
M-F: Cell Block #4533

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phimosis View Post

Wow! Awesome pictures. The first photo above reminds me of frozen Narnia.

And then the second... how cool is that! Thanks for sharing your adventure.

Red Jeep Club #345
2006 TJ Sport
2004 KJ Limited
2013 Off-Road Trailer

grogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-01-2013, 04:09 PM   #9
bsutton
1983 CJ7 

Jealous!!

great pictures...
Unread 02-06-2013, 02:07 PM   #10
yoda13
Force Wheeler

2007 JK Wrangler 

just beautiful, thanks for posting, I am now insanely jealous
2007 White Jeep Wrangler X-auto, black freedom top, 15x8 Pro Comp Rock Crawlers, 33x12.5x15 BFG KM2s, Superchips Flashpaq, 2" OME Spring Lift, Bilsteins, Rusty's Adjustable front and rear trac-bar, JKS Quicker Disconnects, Rusty's adjustable lower control arms (front and rear), PolyPerformance adjustable upper control arms (front and rear), OEM Rubicon Rock Rails, Finishlinewest Stonehenge Series rear bumper, Smittybuilt winch, Body Armor Front High Clearance Bumper w/ KC Highlights mounted, Roadmaster towbar, Valley 2" receiver hitch, Skid Row Engine Transmission skid, sPod switching system, KC Highlights windshield mounted lights, Delta replacement non-quadbar xenon headlamps, and Bestop saddlebags-Member of the United Four Wheel Drive Association and Blue Ribbon Coalition, †John 3:16†

RIP Mrs. yoda13... My life is better for having had you in it and you made me a better man...I can't wait to see you again...I love you always and forever, and for all eternity

If you want to help the sport of off-roading, and protect your right to do so, please visit the Envirobeat
forum...

yoda13 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.