Snow wheeling Elbe Hills style 3-5-11 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Trail Reports & Pictures > Snow wheeling Elbe Hills style 3-5-11

Dan's Old as Dirt Birthday Sale!Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGGEARSHADE Pocket Tops in stock and available at ROCKRIDGE

Unread 03-06-2011, 04:36 PM   #1
yelset

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Snow wheeling Elbe Hills style 3-5-11

We met up at the Elbe Chevron at 9:00. cmyjeep, Trailjunky, BaddAndy, awkragt, his brother in a '89 XJ, Rick in a black 2 door JK and myself. I was very impressed that awkragt and his wife brought their beautiful 9 month old daughter with them; she seemed to do quite well. Anyways were aired down before we got on the 92 road, which was mostly plowed past the 9 road. On the way up there was a pack of Subaru’s, some with cross country sticks strapped to their roof, that seemed to not know where to park, that we had to maneuver around. And two trucks towing trailers, that we had tom pull to the ditch to let pass. This was all before we got to the parking area on the 9 road.

We started up Sunrise Trail, cmyjeep was breaking trail through the snow, and trailjunky, who was on a test run was following, was having problems with the snow on the first hill. His front locker was not working and the Baja Claws weren't doing it in the snow. So he turned around and was going to drive up the 9 road and catch up with us on the Mainline.

Mainline was next. Again cmyjeep was blazing the trail through the snow. Narrow bridges are fun in the snow! we had to stop and find the edges on a few bridges. Anyway, cmyjeep when we came to the mud hole on The Mainline Trail, the question was asked, "do we stay to the right or do we go left?". Well Clinton zigged instead of zagged and nosedived the 4 door JK into the mud. I tried yanking him out with the little TJ, but the 6300 pound beast was a little too much for my light weight, so this was the first time that my winch line was stretched out. I believe that the '89 XJ was tied to my back bumper and we pulled cmyjeep out. So it was my turn to blaze trail and I took the route to the right, and the new MT/R's did me well going through the hole.

After a short time of in the lead, which I missed part of the Mainline trail, and had to turn around, cmyjeep was back to blazing the trail. Until... his front locker gave out and while trying to winch himself, his winch went TU. So after, that Clinton hit the road back home.

Oh yeah, we got a CB report from trailjunky, that he was having to winch on the 9 road, so he turned around and went back to the barn.

So with cmyjeep not breaking the trail, BaddAndy was now in the lead. We continued on the Mainline trail. Then we took a little detour on the "old part" of the Busy, for the hill climb in the snow. I will say the new JK's did amazing!

After the "detour" we stopped for lunch and Andy cooked up some hot dogs on his camp stove. Thanks for the hot lunch, Andy.

Back to the Mainline. We passed up the Alder loop and went up to Gotcha trail. By this time the weather was very nice the sun was coming out and it was turning out to be a beautiful day.

Next was the Rainier Vista, with BaddAndy still in the lead. Up until the hill climb when he asked me if I could lead, so I started up and snap... I broke the ears off of the driver’s side axle shaft. I had to winch myself down and with a lot of help turn the Jeep around, limp to a flat spot on the trail, remove the broken part and stuff a rag in the tube. Driving in the snow with three wheel drive was fun.

At this time the whole group called it a day and drove back down the 9 road.

I'd like to say that this was it, but it wasn't.

We came across some 2 Toys and a Bronco II in the middle of the road that was a little stuck. One of the Toys just would not start; the other one was trying to and finally made it. As far as the Bronco II, I don't know what was going on inside of that rig. A little too much Budweiser was had by all.

Once the running Toy got out of the way The 89 XJ tried to go to the right and he got stuck in the snow, so Rich in the JK went to the left, and pulled out the XJ.

We helped the people out to the 92 road.

Rich pulled out a couple more people at the staging area. Then down to HWY 7 to air up and say good bye.

All in all, a great trip.

I know there were cameras please post your pictures, I am waiting to get pictures from my rider, then I will post pictures.

Thanks, Mike

Unread 03-06-2011, 04:42 PM   #2
yelset

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Oh yeah, I almost forgot, but awkragt broke the bead on his front passenger side tire trying to pull out cmyjeep on the Mainline (which he did). Again trail fix, a strap and some air. No one had some lighter fluid and a match. I wanted to see that. Anyways, here a some pictures from my cell phone. I should be getting other pictures soon.
wp_000283.jpg   wp_000287.jpg   wp_000288.jpg   wp_000289.jpg   wp_000290.jpg  

Unread 03-06-2011, 04:47 PM   #3
yelset

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Some more video and pictures.

Winching down after the carnage

I see the problem.

It goes back together like this!

New Avatar???
Unread 03-06-2011, 05:29 PM   #4
RaggedOleMan
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Ah man...that busted axle was bad news in the snow, eh? Time for an upgrade! Really sorry I missed the fun! Well, let me rethink that...

Great write up & pics, Mike!
RaggedOleMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-06-2011, 06:31 PM   #5
RBxj
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Nice write up Mike, sorry I missed this run. Sounds like a lot of fun and a lot of broke stuff. Looking forward to the next time.
Unread 03-06-2011, 08:14 PM   #6
Jeffro06
October 2012 TJOTM

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Looks like a fun time.

Moab Trails I've done: Onion Creek, Long Canyon, Dome Plateau, Top of The World (2), Fins-N-Things (2), Poison Spider,
Golden Spike, Gold Bar Rim, Hell's Revenge (2), Baby Lion Back, Cliff Hanger, Moab Rim, Kane Creek Canyon, Strike Ravine

Shortcuts to key points in my build: MTRk's OME 2" HD Lift Antirock Skidrow steering box & radiator skids LoD rear bumper
Rokmen Mercenary bumper w/Superwinch Rokmen sliders Skidrow engine skid Rampage Top CB set up
Custom trunk Rokmen 1" Billet spacers JJ track bar Rokmen Adjustable Control Arms Currectlync Steering
Rokmen Trail Corners Metalcloak Overlines Kentrol Hood Latches JK Turn Signals Xenon 4" Flat Flares Hood Decal Duratracs
Derale Tranny Cooler DieHard Factor 55 Thimble Ten Factory Front Chromo Shafts

Get your build sheet here.
Jeffro06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-06-2011, 09:05 PM   #7
BaddAndy
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffro06 View Post
Looks like a fun time.
Oh, it was. It was epic. Of course I didn't bring my camera thinking i'd be just another Elbe run.
Unread 03-07-2011, 06:21 PM   #8
cmyjeep
2007 JK Wrangler 

WOW what a day i had out there. a big thanks to every one for getting me out of that mud hole. LOL i have pics. and some vids. to show. SO let me tell you all what didnt work or got broke. front locker will not lock bad switch on the compresser.
so that let the air out so my back locker was locking and unlocking. my winch will not work because the Hand Controller was broke. but the real fun was on the way home when i found out that i broke a brake line on the drivers front side. that was a fun drive home. again thats to all that show up and sorry i didnt stay longer. now the pics. and vids.
link
http://entertainment.webshots.com/album/579862809rSzzKu

MAIL LINE

MY BRAKE LINE GO BAD

VIDS.
http://entertainment.webshots.com/vi...01188837jmWwVp
http://entertainment.webshots.com/vi...01188837SDJiAj
cmyjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-07-2011, 07:49 PM   #9
awkragt
2007 JK Wrangler 

One Video of Rick in a Mud Pit:

My Photos from the day:
Line up on the mainline trail.

Where cmyjeep got really stuck, and the setup to get him out. That first try with the strap didn't work. Needed the winch.

Nice shot in the trees.

Lots of carnage that day. After the bead coming undone I had some crazy death wobble on the way home. Les Schwab today said both front tires were way out of balance. Even after the rebalancing I still got some death wobble. I probably blew out the track bar bushing or something.
http://kragt.blogspot.com
awkragt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-07-2011, 08:01 PM   #10
RaggedOleMan
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Death Wobble, eh? Bad news. Took me countless hours, over 1k and lots of frustration to track mine down. Good luck.
Unread 03-07-2011, 08:41 PM   #11
yelset

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaggedOleMan
Ah man...that busted axle was bad news in the snow, eh? Time for an upgrade! Really sorry I missed the fun! Well, let me rethink that...

Great write up & pics, Mike!
Yeah ROM, wish both you and RBxj were there. You guys missed a great run, the conditions were beautiful!!! I am glad to hear that you are feeling better.

As far as my Jeep, she's on jack stands at the moment, waiting for the debit card to do it's magic, again. It will be something CrMo, her favorite alloy.

Last Friday night, T and I went out to dinner with friends and the husband asked me how long has it been since I broke something major on my Jeep. I told him 2 1/2 years, when I broke the locker in the old 35.

I blame this all on him!

Mike
Unread 03-07-2011, 09:00 PM   #12
RaggedOleMan
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Sounds like it might be time to start planning a maiden voyage for the new shafts! Besides, RBXj needs to break in his new Aussie, and I need some seat time among friends...

EDIT; Like your new avatar!
Unread 03-07-2011, 09:19 PM   #13
yelset

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaggedOleMan View Post
Sounds like it might be time to start planning a maiden voyage for the new shafts! Besides, RBXj needs to break in his new Aussie, and I need some seat time among friends...

EDIT; Like your new avatar!
Sounds good I hope to have it ready when Evan's opens up, at the latest. I need to do my taxes. I may have enough to do some stuff around the homestead and still get some RCV's, too!

As far as the new Avatar, just a trail carnage trophy, I guess.
Unread 03-07-2011, 10:07 PM   #14
RaggedOleMan
2005 TJ Wrangler 

CmyJeep; Clinton, sorry to hear of your woes, man. Got her all fixed back up yet?
Unread 03-07-2011, 10:41 PM   #15
cmyjeep
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaggedOleMan View Post
CmyJeep; Clinton, sorry to hear of your woes, man. Got her all fixed back up yet?
nope but parts on order LOL should be ready in less than 2 weeks i hope
cmyjeep is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.