Shaver lake CA Bald Mtn/Brewer lake run - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Trail Reports & Pictures > Shaver lake CA Bald Mtn/Brewer lake run

Rampage Bowless Soft Top Oconee offroadAlloy USA Still AvailableAdvance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 11-07-2011, 07:15 PM   #1
AstroZombie
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Shaver lake CA Bald Mtn/Brewer lake run

Well, last weekend I had to make it to Shaver before Brewer lake gets closed for the season. These are two fairly easy trails, but still fun. Here are the pics, that's the best part anyway!!

Bald Mtn trail, obligatory poser shots:

From the tower:

Shaver lake is EMPTY!

Brewer lake:

USN Jeep Club Hull # 199
AstroZombie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-08-2011, 01:07 PM   #2
ThrillSeeker
1998 ZJ 

Nice pics

What is the distance for the trail runs?

Any overnight camping there?
Unread 11-10-2011, 06:43 PM   #3
jakeWI
1996 XJ Cherokee 

great pictures

Jeep Buildhttp://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/p...hwoods-958674/
jakeWI is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-10-2011, 10:04 PM   #4
AstroZombie
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThrillSeeker View Post
Nice pics

What is the distance for the trail runs?

Any overnight camping there?
Thanks!

If you're planning a trip out this way, the Shaver lake area is full of good trails, Coyote lake, Dusy Ershim etc. Keep in mind though that Bald Mountain is the only trail open year round. The rest are open only from around late July to beginning of November. (Right now Brewer is closed. I got to run the weekend before the annual closure)

Brewer Lake is 3.5 miles and according to the books it takes about an hour one way, but realtime is about an hour 45 minutes.

Bald Mountain is about 5 miles and takes me about 2 and a half hours one way. Mostly because there are a ton of side trails and rocks to play on so I can't ever just blaze to the top! Snow all the way to late May provides an extra challenge, and at times I haven't been able to make it to the tower.

There is overnight camping (almost) anywhere. You'll need a fire permit from the ranger station, and you can't camp within 100ft of lakes, or trails.

USN Jeep Club Hull # 199
Unread 11-12-2011, 12:06 AM   #5
Grt_Ape
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Wow. I've never seen Shaver so low.

Haven't been to Brewer Lake since 8/07. Nice easy but scenic trail ride. Brewer looks the same. Compare the big rock in the center of your last pic to the one in the pic I took over 4 years ago. Water level is the same.

2006 LJ Rubicon
Grt_Ape is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-12-2011, 11:08 PM   #6
AstroZombie
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Awesome pics man, thanks for adding them! You're right, not much changes out there.... Besides Shaver Lake!! I think they may be doing maintenance on the dam or something, but I haven't ever seen it that low either. I suppose the fishing will be ruined for the next ten years or so...

USN Jeep Club Hull # 199
Unread 11-19-2011, 08:06 AM   #7
RockWoRM
Web Wheeler

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AstroZombie View Post
Awesome pics man, thanks for adding them! You're right, not much changes out there.... Besides Shaver Lake!! I think they may be doing maintenance on the dam or something, but I haven't ever seen it that low either. I suppose the fishing will be ruined for the next ten years or so...
Yup, dam is being worked on this year.
Nice Brewer pics. btw... did you take that Rubi in that last couple hundred ft. of the trail closest to the lake?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 80 CHOPPER View Post
Knowledge is a tool, without knowledge, you are just a tool.
RockWoRM is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-19-2011, 01:02 PM   #8
AstroZombie
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockWoRM View Post
Yup, dam is being worked on this year.
Nice Brewer pics. btw... did you take that Rubi in that last couple hundred ft. of the trail closest to the lake?

Haha, well I tried it last year but it didn't take too long to get high centered on the frame rail! I have since learned my lesson and park before the boulders with the rest of the goons. In my mind I justify it saying "it's a nice walk" but one day (when my Jeep grows up) I'll drive to the lakefront!!

A buddy that went with me has a long arm LJ and he made it. It is certainly a game changer when the rest of the trail is like a dirt road then the last bit is a rock quarry!!

USN Jeep Club Hull # 199
Unread 11-26-2011, 11:40 AM   #9
RockWoRM
Web Wheeler

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Went up yesterday to check out the snow and blow off a 'few' rounds of .40 cal.
Great sunny day for snow wheel'n! But it got real chilly @ the top in the afternoon!

Forgot the camera, but took a couple from the iphone...

and since you asked about the lake... at bit fuzzy, but the water is low!

WRM

Quote:
Unread 11-26-2011, 11:11 PM   #10
AstroZombie
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Nice! I figured there was snow by now. Looks like just enough to make the trail fun, not impossible. Great pics, even if they're from a phone. Shaver Lake looks crazy so low!

USN Jeep Club Hull # 199
Unread 11-28-2011, 11:45 PM   #11
cherokeen77
1998 ZJ 

Anyone have a good website or guide book on the trails in this area? Also wondering about minimum clearance...guessing there is some stacking in my future.
cherokeen77 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-29-2011, 08:38 AM   #12
Grt_Ape
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherokeen77 View Post
Anyone have a good website or guide book on the trails in this area? Also wondering about minimum clearance...guessing there is some stacking in my future.
I keep a copy of Backcountry Adventures / Northern California (Massey & Wilson) in my Jeep. It covers many of the trails in the Shaver Lake area. It's not a quick and dirty trail-info-only book though. It's more like a phone book in size and has lots of historical info that is cool to read about.

They rate the Brewer Lake OHV Route as a 5 on a scale of 1-10; calling it a "moderate trail, suitable for all high-clearance 4WDs." "Most of the trail is rates less than a 5 for difficulty. The 5 rating comes from a short section of loose rock and large boulders and the final 0.3 miles of moderate to difficult rock crawling."

I ran the trail in my stock LJ Rubi (245/75/16 ~30.5x9.5) and had no difficulty without the need for my lockers. I did not, however attempt the last kick down to the lake, but one of our club members did in his CJ5 on 33x12.5. He made it down and back without incident. (I was too busy watching him and didn't take any pics. But you can see his rig in one of the pics I posted earlier in this thread).

The 4WD club of Fresno rates the trail as "easiest" and has info here:
http://www.4wdcfresno.net/index.php?...d=47&Itemid=62

Google "Brewer Lake OHV Trail" for lot of info.

2006 LJ Rubicon
Grt_Ape is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-29-2011, 04:53 PM   #13
RockWoRM
Web Wheeler

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherokeen77 View Post
Filling out your profile is helpful. Then we can see what you have for a rig and what mods you have. That way we can make better assesments.
Also, your relative location. Some trails may be closer to you.

WRM

Quote:
Unread 11-29-2011, 05:03 PM   #14
cherokeen77
1998 ZJ 

1998 Grand Cherokee Laredo, all stock.
cherokeen77 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.