San Juans/Buena Vista/Leadville, CO 7/23-8/1/05 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Trail Reports & Pictures > San Juans/Buena Vista/Leadville, CO 7/23-8/1/05

FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valuePremium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGRugged Ridge 8500lb Winch w/ Steel Cable $294.99 Shipped O

Unread 08-08-2005, 09:16 PM   #1
chris_doing
Black Jeep of the Family

2006 TJ Wrangler 

San Juans/Buena Vista/Leadville, CO 7/23-8/1/05

We started out the trip with a leisurely stroll through Animas Forks under suicide grey skies that intermittently showered upon us

The sun did break out eventually as we continued on over the pass from Hurricane to Picayune Gulch

Then we started up blackbear to see a section that we had not been to in the past, just after the start of the ascent we turned off to the left and found a beautiful waterfall and a lake at the top of a short hike

Last edited by chris_doing; 08-09-2005 at 09:32 AM..
chris_doing is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-08-2005, 10:00 PM   #2
slimP
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Here you go, awesome pics by the way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris_doing
We started out the trip with a leisurely stroll through Animas Forks under suicide grey skies that intermittently showered upon us

The sun did break out eventually as we continued on over the pass from Hurricane to Picayune Gulch

--==(Blue Jeep Club Member #11)==--
--==(Pride, Heritage, Tradition - The American Legend - JEEP)==--
slimP is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-08-2005, 10:04 PM   #3
chris_doing
Black Jeep of the Family

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Day Two was Ophir Pass to Alta

We stayed at the S. Mineral Creek campground, a national forest campground with primitive spots and old fashioned (read - No running water) outhouses. While the amenities were missed, the solitude of the place is humbling although it is easily accessible from a well maintained gravel county road.

Easy access to the 4WD trails off of the million dollar highway (#550) as well as east of the active town of Silverton,CO. make this one of my favorite spots to wheel, Trails leading to Highways 149 and 145.

Day 2 and we crossed over Ophir pass to Highway 145

and then took the Alta road up to Alta Lakes where we found a picturesque setting for a picnic lunch

This road was rated a 2 of 10 for difficulty, and except for a short jaunt from the lower to upper Alta Lakes we were able to negotiate this trail in 2WD. In fact Jen (with no off-road experience) drove us back,

The wildflowers were beautiful up there

Last edited by chris_doing; 08-09-2005 at 05:32 AM..
Unread 08-08-2005, 10:30 PM   #4
slimP
1999 TJ Wrangler 

There you go chris, you'll get to 50 post soon. Man, thats some beautiful country.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris_doing
We stayed at the S. Mineral Creek campground, a national forest campground with primitive spots and old fashioned (read - No running water) outhouses. While the amenities were missed, the solitude of the place is humbling although it is easily accessible from a well maintained gravel county road.

Easy access to the 4WD trails off of the million dollar highway as well as east of the active town of Silverton,CO. make this one of my favorite spots to wheel, Trails leading to Highways 149 and 145.

Day 2 and we crossed over Ophir pass to Highway 145

and then took the Alta road up to Alta Lakes where we found a picturesque setting for a picnic lunch

This road was rated a 2 of 10 for difficulty, and except for a short jaunt from the lower to upper Alta Lakes we were able to negotiate this trail in 2WD. In fact Jen (with no off-road experience) drove us back,

The wildflowers were beautiful up there

--==(Blue Jeep Club Member #11)==--
--==(Pride, Heritage, Tradition - The American Legend - JEEP)==--
slimP is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-09-2005, 05:34 AM   #5
chris_doing
Black Jeep of the Family

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks much slimP, more photos are up here
Unread 08-09-2005, 06:05 AM   #6
TucsonRubicon

Beautiful place to cruise! Love the pics!
Unread 08-10-2005, 10:25 AM   #7
articulate

Thanks for the pics....very nice

Someone ought to take note that these Jeeps are pretty dang stock... and they're having serious fun. Who would have thought? Being on the trail with some friends is far more interesting than drinking...er wrenching... in the garage. Although the latter has its merits.

ANYWAY, thanks for sharing amigo.

M
articulate is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-01-2005, 11:21 AM   #8
87warrior
2003 TJ Wrangler 

I want to go back!

Great pics. Did you do Black Bear or Poughkeepsie? I was out there a few weeks back with a group of Rubis. Awsome landscape that even best photographer can not capture.

Here is a like to the photos I took while on my trip.
http://photobucket.com/albums/v233/8...t=DSCF0001.jpg
87warrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-16-2005, 10:34 PM   #9
jnorton1
2007 JK Wrangler 

Pics look really good, nice and clear. Beutiful area of the country.
jnorton1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-17-2005, 09:19 AM   #10
treeofliberty

Quote:
Originally Posted by 87warrior
I want to go back!

Great pics. Did you do Black Bear or Poughkeepsie? I was out there a few weeks back with a group of Rubis. Awsome landscape that even best photographer can not capture.

Here is a like to the photos I took while on my trip.
http://photobucket.com/albums/v233/8...t=DSCF0001.jpg
I'd be interested in hearing the answer to this question myself. We were there the week before you. Black Bear and Imogene were still snowed in. We were able to make the summit of Black Bear, but couldn't take the switchbacks into Telluride.

I couldn't get over how lush everything was. There were waterfalls and flowers everywhere.

Clear Lake was also well worth the drive. Like Ophir Pass, it's easy, but the scenery makes it worth the drive.

2004 Wrangler Unlimited, 4.0L auto, 4" Teraflex lift, 33x12.50x15 Goodyear MT/R's on MT Classic II wheels, ARB's front and rear, 4.56 gears, York OBA, Milemarker E9000 Winch, Shrockworks Rocksliders, KOZ Offroad Rear Bumper, Skid Row Engine Skid, Bestop soft half doors, Raingler Pet Nets
treeofliberty is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.