Rimrock, WA - July 4th Weekend Pictures (lots) - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Trail Reports & Pictures > Rimrock, WA - July 4th Weekend Pictures (lots)

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineNEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!! Year End Clearance Sale! Save 20%

Unread 07-05-2010, 05:38 PM   #1
lupinsea
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Rimrock, WA - July 4th Weekend Pictures (lots)

Weekend at Rimrock
Rimrock, WA

June 30 to July 3rd, 2010

From Wednesday to Saturday late afternoon I spent several days down at the Rimrock ORV in the hills to the south of Rimrock Lake. Weather was oddly cold, about 20-25 degrees colder than last year and skies were overcast most of the time with an occasional sprinkling of rain one afternoon and in the middle of the night of another day. The time there was spent in company with a few other members of the Jeep club I'm a part of. Our club has been heading down to Rimrock around the 4th of July for the last 3+ decades and it's a club tradition.

This year I decided to take the scenic route down there and travel the Cayuse and White passes, as well as the rural route from I-5 over to Enumclaw by cutting through the Muckleshoot indian reservation. The route through the mountains follows some valleys that are wedged between the eastern side of Mt. Rainier and the rest of the Cascade mountain range through a National Park. It's not as fast as looping around on the freeway but it's a significantly more pleasant drive and one of my favorites with gorgeous scenery.

The Jeep'n this weekend was at a very relaxed paced. We scoped out some great trails and I was able to capture new (to me) routes on my GPS for later mapping. Most of the trails here run (almost) straight up and down the ridge lines flanking each side of the valley. To the east is a ridge overlooking Goat Rocks, and to the west is Divide Ridge. On the other side of which is the Yakima Indian Reservation. Our camp was at 3500 ft of elevation and the trails would reach the tops of the ridges at 7,000 ft elevation. Most of this elevation gain happened in a very short lateral distance with incredibly steep slopes. At the top of Divide Ridge we ran into some snow that had not yet melted.

On the way home I retraced my route from a few days earlier. Unfortunately, coming through the Muckleshoot indian resevation on the eve before the 4th of July was a mistake. There was an hour and a half traffic jam from all the people trying to get a last-minute deal on the fireworks on sale at the reservation. It was quite the party atmosphere as a fog of burnt gun powder wafted over the street and people were lighting off substantial fireworks in some case less than 50 ft from about 2 acres of firework stands. . . . dry plywood boxes filled with explosives. Joy.

The start of Hwy 123 at Cayuse Pass behind Mt. Rainier. The road winds down
through the forested valley with it's lush, mossy understory and many creeks and
rivers.

East of White Pass on Hwy 12 is this "scenic view point" looking eastward to
Rimrock Lake in the distance. "Scenic" . . . whatever. The view point was at Clear
Creek Falls which was right besides me a dropped all the way to the valley floor below.

This fellow wasn't part of our club but usually shows up at the campsite each year.
Today he and some friends of his joined us on the run.

Most of the trails run straight up the steep sections. But on this trail there was
some slight off camber sections that required helpers as a counter-weight. It was
only about a 10 ft section of trail. Once past it the rest of the route was just fine.

Most of the trails at Rimrock are steep, like this one, but free of large, hairy
obstacles like boulders or logs. And it's usually steep like this for 1/4 - 1+ mile at
a stretch.

At the top of the climb the trail turned 90 degrees and headed back down to cross
the valley in front of my Jeep.

Our group sets off again down the valley.

On the way down into the valley before the trail crosses in
a sharp "V" and climbs up to Narrow Neck.

It's about this steep going down as it is coming up. And yes, the Jeeps have enough
traction on the loose trail surface.

After stopping for lunch on top of the ridge at the end of one trail, we headed off on
another trail that ran along the top of the ridge. At nearly 7,000 ft of elevation
there was still some snow up there that hadn't melted yet. But it was going fast.
In another couple weeks this would probably be bare ground. The wind was strong
up here, and cold, which seem to make the decision to drop the top and leave the
doors back at camp a poor one but I put on some leather work gloves and it made
the cold much more tolerable.

Unread 07-05-2010, 05:39 PM   #2
lupinsea
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Just following the trail. It's there somewhere under the snow.

Lower down in elevation later in the day we tried this side trail. It terminated at
this "bowl" at the edge of Blue Slide where some of our group tried this hill climb.
One of the rigs is coming back down while the guy at the bottom was having fuel
filter problems.

Near the lake itself was an old, little used trail that climbed up to a cliff face
overlooking Rimrock Lake. Up the right cove is the Heli-Pad airport and up the left
cove Tieton Dam which created this man-made lake.

Much further down near Hwy 12 on one of the trails that stayed in the 3000 ft
elevation rate we ended up circling this andesitic rock formation. Years ago lava
had forced it way up through a fisure in the crust and then cooled. Years of erosion
washed the surrounding material away to leave this.

The trail circling the rock formation was relatively flat but muddy and slick with
clay. It packed up the voids of the tires turning them into racing slicks. And larger
rigs that had cut deep tire tracks made it tough work for my small Jeep.

On the way home just out side of Enumclaw I took this picture across the rural
landscape. It's a beautiful, relaxed route that I think I'll take on future trips. About
15-20 minutes later I hit the traffic pouring out of the fireworks stands on the
Indian reservation.
Unread 07-05-2010, 05:39 PM   #3
lupinsea
2001 TJ Wrangler 

[ Message deleted as duplicate of previous post ]
Unread 07-05-2010, 06:18 PM   #4
jonwood
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lupinsea View Post

This fellow wasn't part of our club but usually shows up at the campsite each year.
Today he and some friends of his joined us on the run.

Is that Even Pratt?

Looks like a god time
Unread 07-07-2010, 10:54 PM   #5
RaggedOleMan
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Looks like this section would be a little gnarly in wet & muddy conditions. As always, Jay, your write-ups and pictures are outstanding.
RaggedOleMan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-08-2010, 06:28 PM   #6
lupinsea
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaggedOleMan View Post

Looks like this section would be a little gnarly in wet & muddy conditions. As always, Jay, your write-ups and pictures are outstanding.
Yes it would. . . as would most of the trails.

This isn't a place you want to play when the trails are wet. They're too steep and treacherous to be farting around on without a lot of room for maneuvering if you get going sideways.

IIRC, nwjeepn.com has most of the Rimrock trails listed as "most difficult". And while I wouldn't necessarily agree with all their classifications of the trails it should serve as a warning to be careful.

They even have one trail rated as "death wheel'n" and won't give out any directions on how to find that trail.

There are guys in my club who've been wheel'n for 40+ years, including may decades of wheel'n down at Rimrock. There are some trails they've been on only once and vow never to run those trails again because they scare the piss out of them.

Yet for all that, most of the trails I've run there the last several years have been a lot of fun and not really an issue.
Unread 07-12-2010, 12:14 AM   #7
RaggedOleMan
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Geezus, Jay..."Death Wheelin'", eh? Don't think I'd want to try that area without a Rimrock experienced guy in the lead...

If you guys head there again this summer, and post up before hand, I'd sure like to tag along, or PM me...I'm also on the WAVJC site, same moniker/RaggedOleMan...my rig is mild, 30/Aussie/35-CCE & PowerTrax on 33 BFG KM2's. And I'm without a doubt, still a noobradoodle...

Thanks,
~John/Tacoma
RaggedOleMan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-12-2010, 11:40 AM   #8
aircruiser
1996 XJ Cherokee 

wow looks like a great time!
Unread 07-15-2010, 04:30 AM   #9
Mitchness
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Yet another great write up. Awesome photos and great documentary. I'd surely like to try that trail sometime.
Mitchness is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-15-2010, 08:03 AM   #10
conifers4
2007 JK Wrangler 

Great report...makes us East Coast guys jealous
Unread 07-15-2010, 08:09 AM   #11
justanotherjpr

Awesome pictures!
justanotherjpr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.