Quick Sand in Goblin Valley Utah - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Trail Reports & Pictures > Quick Sand in Goblin Valley Utah

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 04-03-2014, 10:36 PM   #1
daryl50
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quick Sand in Goblin Valley Utah

This weekend my wife and I camped near Goblin Valley State Park in southern Utah and decided to take a little trail on the way home. We did the trail between the state park and 24 called Wild Horse Road. It was for the most part a gravel road with nothing technical or difficult. There was an easy river crossing. All of a sudden, our jeep hit a patch of quick sand. It wasn't slow or gradual, but all of a sudden we dropped into this pit. The ground was dry so there was no way to see it coming. It was in a wash and after sitting there for a while, there was clay and water beneath the sand. There was nothing to winch to and no cell service so we walked 7 miles or so back to where we had cell service. Long story short, winching on a rangers truck did no good and we ended up not being the only ones that got stuck. We had to call a tow company who had to use their truck and winch while being anchored to another truck so they didn't get pulled by the winch. Lotsa shoveling and winching didn't do anything. We ended up using the hi-lift jack to break the suction that the cement-like sinking sand created and winching it at the same time. The hi lift jack became stuck several times in the sinking sand and three men could not pull it out. We had to use the winch. We ended up being stuck from 10 AM to 9 PM and just stayed in little Hanksville for the night. Oh, and the towing company charged us a fat $700. Lucky them, they said they pull a couple vehicles out a week. BE CAREFUL of the quicksand down in southern Utah.

image-573709845.jpg

image-3663337597.jpg

image-1543574076.jpg

image-452357652.jpg

image-168894561.jpg

image-520614903.jpg

image-1020810274.jpg

daryl50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-03-2014, 10:41 PM   #2
drerict
1983 CJ7 

Man that sucks (literally). At least your have pictures and a story.
Unread 04-04-2014, 01:33 AM   #3
GunHo198
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Sooooo. How did your wife handle that adventure? Is she going to be up for another camping / off-roading trip in the next few months? I always carry a flask of something when I go just in case it becomes an all day affair. LOL
Unread 04-04-2014, 10:08 AM   #4
daryl50
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GunHo198
Sooooo. How did your wife handle that adventure? Is she going to be up for another camping / off-roading trip in the next few months? I always carry a flask of something when I go just in case it becomes an all day affair. LOL
Haha

Well, I thought she'd wanna sell the Jeep after that. All she said was "I'm done Jeeping for a little while." Haha
daryl50 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.