Potts Mountain Jeep Trail, VA (several pics) - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
Sign Up   Today's Posts
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Trail Reports & Pictures > Potts Mountain Jeep Trail, VA (several pics)

Labor day sale @ rockridge 4wd! 8/29-9/1 site wide..promo Rough Country Deals at JeepHut.comShocktober is here! Get new shocks for your Jeep!!!!

Reply
Unread 06-23-2009, 06:32 AM   #16
VTJeePTJ
Registered User
2003 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Christiansburg, VA
Posts: 391
Quote:
Originally Posted by RUparrothead View Post
SWVA4W has thier annual multi club "Meet in the middle" potts run/camping trip weekend of july 11th. Anyone is welcome to attend.

Yep I think I saw a post on Star City Crawlers Site about this. I need to get on that board more often to get the updates on events like this. I definitely would like to try and make that one. Do you by chance know where people intend to camp? in the field at the top I presume?

VTJeePTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-23-2009, 01:45 PM   #17
RUparrothead
Registered User
1980 J-Series Truck 
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Rocky Mount, VA
Posts: 252
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTJeePTJ View Post
Yep I think I saw a post on Star City Crawlers Site about this. I need to get on that board more often to get the updates on events like this. I definitely would like to try and make that one. Do you by chance know where people intend to camp? in the field at the top I presume?
Yup. Campground will be in the field.

I'm hoping to ride with Jon, since he won't be camping. I have to be home Sat night for family coming in.
__________________
1980 j-10, 4 speed Grandpa's old jeep
14 mk, FD1' 5 speed
RUparrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-24-2009, 10:07 AM   #18
VTJeePTJ
Registered User
2003 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Christiansburg, VA
Posts: 391
Cool, thanks for the info. I will probably pack to camp and decide for sure once we get to that point. If you make it out there, keep an eye out for my pile as I've got it penciled in to come as of now.
VTJeePTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-22-2010, 02:10 PM   #19
rocknrubi04
Registered User
2004 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: va
Posts: 9
Once you go tru the whole trail what road do you end up on if you started at the pine campgroud side
thanks,
Brett
rocknrubi04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-04-2010, 05:32 PM   #20
Dan_S
Registered User
2003 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Raleigh, North Carolina
Posts: 50
is this trail closed during any part of the year?
__________________
'03 Sport with:
4.5 Rubicon Express lift w/ quick disconnects and front and rear adjustable control arms. 33x12.5R15 Kevlar Goodyear tires on GA9 wheels. Teraflex Fixed Yoke SYE & CV Drive Shaft. OME shocks with Currie lower rear relocation brackets(must have). Currie Heavy duty tie rod system.
Dan_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-05-2010, 07:13 PM   #21
RUparrothead
Registered User
1980 J-Series Truck 
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Rocky Mount, VA
Posts: 252
Yes. Usually from around the end of December until April or so. I think it closes when bear season starts and reopens when the USFS decides it is ok to open (pending snow on trail, etc.).
__________________
1980 j-10, 4 speed Grandpa's old jeep
14 mk, FD1' 5 speed
RUparrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-31-2012, 11:45 AM   #22
wpark013
Registered User
2002 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Roanoke, Virginia
Posts: 248
Potts will be open on April 7th this year. Im going opening day. Hope more rigs can make it out.
__________________
02' SAHARA 4.0L D30/44, HARD/SOFT/BIKINI TOPS, 32" KM2's and 33" ATs, 2" OME HD SL, 1.25" JKS BL, GenRight fenders, Metalcloak control arms, UCF tummy tuck......and other fun stuff
My build thread. http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/black-sahara-build-972965/
wpark013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-31-2012, 01:58 PM   #23
wisconsinalex
Registered User
1997 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Blacksburg, Virginia
Posts: 319
Quote:
Originally Posted by wpark013 View Post
Potts will be open on April 7th this year. Im going opening day. Hope more rigs can make it out.
I'm gonna be there At least I hope I will be. Gonna try and convince some of the other girls I go wheeling with to join me.
__________________
HeyHey it's Alex!


The Iron Blueberry- 1976 Ford F100 Ranger XLT

The Thing- 1997 TJ Wrangler (it's a love/hate kinda thing)
wisconsinalex is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-31-2012, 02:01 PM   #24
wpark013
Registered User
2002 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Roanoke, Virginia
Posts: 248
Quote:
Originally Posted by wisconsinalex

I'm gonna be there At least I hope I will be. Gonna try and convince some of the other girls I go wheeling with to join me.
Awesome.
__________________
02' SAHARA 4.0L D30/44, HARD/SOFT/BIKINI TOPS, 32" KM2's and 33" ATs, 2" OME HD SL, 1.25" JKS BL, GenRight fenders, Metalcloak control arms, UCF tummy tuck......and other fun stuff
My build thread. http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/black-sahara-build-972965/
wpark013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-31-2012, 03:06 PM   #25
rocknrubi04
Registered User
2004 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: va
Posts: 9
The Va Jeep Trail Dogs will be up there on April 19-21
Brett
Organizer
rocknrubi04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-01-2012, 06:28 AM   #26
RUparrothead
Registered User
1980 J-Series Truck 
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Rocky Mount, VA
Posts: 252
Quote:
Originally Posted by wpark013 View Post
Potts will be open on April 7th this year. Im going opening day. Hope more rigs can make it out.
Some folks from the area are going...here is a quote from Jon's thread on scc4x4.com

""I'm putting together a trail ride on Potts Mountain for April 7th. We will meet at the Liberty/Burger King(114 Sheraton Dr, Salem, VA 24153) at 9am and caravan to the trail head at 9:30 sharp(I won't wait!) which is 35-45min away in Craig County VA.

The Liberty/BK is just off of I-81 in Salem and its a good place to pick up final supplies and gas before heading to the trail head.

A couple of notes;
Potts Mountain is considered a state road and all rules apply including no alcohol, rig must be tagged and insured and the driver must have a valid drivers license.

You will need recovery points front and rear
You need to carry a fire extinguisher, tools and a first aid kit.
You should carry any "rig specific" parts that are known to leave you stranded.
You need a spare that matches your tire size you are running.

Your rig needs to be in top running condition as it will be challenged in some spots.

You need at least 31's to even have a chance at clearing any of the rocks up there.

We will be on the trial at 10:30 and we will break for lunch at the field around 1pm "
__________________
1980 j-10, 4 speed Grandpa's old jeep
14 mk, FD1' 5 speed
RUparrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-07-2012, 05:00 PM   #27
rocknrubi04
Registered User
2004 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: va
Posts: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by RUparrothead View Post
Some folks from the area are going...here is a quote from Jon's thread on scc4x4.com

""I'm putting together a trail ride on Potts Mountain for April 7th. We will meet at the Liberty/Burger King(114 Sheraton Dr, Salem, VA 24153) at 9am and caravan to the trail head at 9:30 sharp(I won't wait!) which is 35-45min away in Craig County VA.

The Liberty/BK is just off of I-81 in Salem and its a good place to pick up final supplies and gas before heading to the trail head.

A couple of notes;
Potts Mountain is considered a state road and all rules apply including no alcohol, rig must be tagged and insured and the driver must have a valid drivers license.

You will need recovery points front and rear
You need to carry a fire extinguisher, tools and a first aid kit.
You should carry any "rig specific" parts that are known to leave you stranded.
You need a spare that matches your tire size you are running.

Your rig needs to be in top running condition as it will be challenged in some spots.

You need at least 31's to even have a chance at clearing any of the rocks up there.

We will be on the trial at 10:30 and we will break for lunch at the field around 1pm "
Could you let me know how the conditions are up there this year. We will be going up in 2 weeks.
Thanks,
Brett
rocknrubi04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-08-2012, 06:50 AM   #28
RUparrothead
Registered User
1980 J-Series Truck 
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Rocky Mount, VA
Posts: 252
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocknrubi04 View Post
Could you let me know how the conditions are up there this year. We will be going up in 2 weeks.
Thanks,
Brett
There is a HUGE tree down right at the bypass of the ledge (the bypass is actually the main trail). One of our guys from SWVA4W is going to let the forest service know asap. - We cant use chainsaws in the national forest without proper certification.

There was a jeep that tried to winch it out of the way - but it was too big.

Are you with the group coming in from tidewater area at the end of the month?
__________________
1980 j-10, 4 speed Grandpa's old jeep
14 mk, FD1' 5 speed
RUparrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-08-2012, 08:07 AM   #29
rocknrubi04
Registered User
2004 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: va
Posts: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by RUparrothead View Post
There is a HUGE tree down right at the bypass of the ledge (the bypass is actually the main trail). One of our guys from SWVA4W is going to let the forest service know asap. - We cant use chainsaws in the national forest without proper certification.

There was a jeep that tried to winch it out of the way - but it was too big.

Are you with the group coming in from tidewater area at the end of the month?
Thanks for he info. My group (Va Jeep Trail Dogs) will be up on Friday (20th of April). Thanks for letting the Forest Dept. know about this. Is this where the creek bed is or the ledge?
Brett
rocknrubi04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-08-2012, 01:58 PM   #30
RUparrothead
Registered User
1980 J-Series Truck 
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Rocky Mount, VA
Posts: 252
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocknrubi04 View Post
Thanks for he info. My group (Va Jeep Trail Dogs) will be up on Friday (20th of April). Thanks for letting the Forest Dept. know about this. Is this where the creek bed is or the ledge?
Brett
To be honest, I'm not sure. I didn't go on the ride yesterday - this is just what I was told by one of my club members.
__________________
1980 j-10, 4 speed Grandpa's old jeep
14 mk, FD1' 5 speed
RUparrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools


Suggested Threads





Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.