Planning a 2 week roudtrip...need recomendations for points of interest - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Trail Reports & Pictures > Planning a 2 week roudtrip...need recomendations for points of interest

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineNEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!! Year End Clearance Sale! Save 20%

Unread 04-24-2012, 10:26 PM   #1
fxbrry
2007 JK Wrangler 

Planning a 2 week roudtrip...need recomendations for points of interest

My wife and I are starting to plan a 2 week road trip in the Jeep. This has been a dream of ours for a while. We know we want to see the Grand Canyon, Yellowstone and Imogene Pass in Colorado. Other than that we would like some suggestions. Just looking at the map, Im thinking we will start from Tennessee then head west on I40 to Arizona. Hit the Grand Canyon then go North thru Utah to Idaho, turn east and hit Yellowstone, then turn south and hit Colorado. After Colorado well head east thru Kansas and head home. I know this is alot of driving. Any ideas of some good trails along the way or some points of interest that are a must see. This is the first time for the both of us to see the western part of the country. We plan to camp some as well as stay in hotels or bed and breakfast. Any help will be appreciated.

fxbrry is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-25-2012, 03:28 PM   #2
my73CJ
1973 CJ5 

hit moab, if possible, i don't think you would dissappointed
my73CJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-25-2012, 05:18 PM   #3
RockinWrangler
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Look through this guys thread.. he did a good job posting about his 5 week trip....

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f58/e...afari-1122536/
Unread 04-26-2012, 11:09 AM   #4
MountainMan864
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Glacier national park. Go see wyoming and montana.
MountainMan864 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-26-2012, 02:33 PM   #5
Gymguyjeep
2004 TJ Wrangler 

You could easily spend two weeks in Colorado and see great stuff everyday and without so much pavement driving.

1993 XJ Cherokee - 3" Lift, 31" tires
Previous Jeeps - 1981 CJ-5, 1985 CJ-7
Gymguyjeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-26-2012, 02:42 PM   #6
Jeffro06
October 2012 TJOTM

2006 TJ Wrangler 

[CENTER]Black Bear Pass:

Moab Trails I've done: Onion Creek, Long Canyon, Dome Plateau, Top of The World (2), Fins-N-Things (2), Poison Spider,
Golden Spike, Gold Bar Rim, Hell's Revenge (2), Baby Lion Back, Cliff Hanger, Moab Rim, Kane Creek Canyon, Strike Ravine

Shortcuts to key points in my build: MTRk's OME 2" HD Lift Antirock Skidrow steering box & radiator skids LoD rear bumper
Rokmen Mercenary bumper w/Superwinch Rokmen sliders Skidrow engine skid Rampage Top CB set up
Custom trunk Rokmen 1" Billet spacers JJ track bar Rokmen Adjustable Control Arms Currectlync Steering
Rokmen Trail Corners Metalcloak Overlines Kentrol Hood Latches JK Turn Signals Xenon 4" Flat Flares Hood Decal Duratracs
Derale Tranny Cooler DieHard Factor 55 Thimble Ten Factory Front Chromo Shafts

Get your build sheet here.
Jeffro06 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-28-2012, 07:10 AM   #7
unlblkrubi
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Headed west on I-40 before Flagstaff, AZ. there is the Meteor Crater. Also outside Flagstaff there is the Sunset Volcano and Anzi Indian ruins. If you are going up towards the San Juans to run Imogene and such you need to stop in Cortez, CO. and see Mesa Verda ruins. 2 weeks is pushing it to see much of anything in that part of the country but its a start. If you head noth from the Grand Canyon (bring lots of water with you) up thru Utah You have Moab, Arches NP, Canyonlands NP.. Just never enough time.....

Unread 04-28-2012, 08:09 AM   #8
h2ogun
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Your plans sound like a fun trip.

Imogene Pass is certainly one of my favorite trails, and the second highest pass in Colorado that you can drive through. In planning your trip, you will want to make sure the pass is open. Last year, with heavy snow, the pass did not open until mid July. From what I understand, the snow fall this year is less and the pass will probably be open earlier.

You can check with http://bushducks.com for the most current trail reports. You did not indicate when you would be taking your trip, if later in July, all of August, and September, you will probably find Imogene Open.

There are a lot of good trails in the Silverton, Telluride, Ouray area (Imogene is between Telluride and Ouray). You may want to consider some other trails while you are so close. Let us know if you want detail suggestions for that area.

Have fun, good luck.
h2ogun is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-28-2012, 11:40 AM   #9
bobsled84088
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Two weeks is not enough time . The "West" is big with many miles between destinations.
bobsled84088 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-28-2012, 12:49 AM   #10
majmjjen
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Mosquito pass near Leadville, head East toward fairplay and head north toward Breckenridge, and take Georgia Pass or hop over to Keystone and take Handcart pass. Go here for a good guide book on trails http://www.funtreks.com/colorado-boo...ls-3rd-edition

Too many trails to name
majmjjen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-31-2012, 10:58 PM   #11
TripLeader
2005 LJ Wrangler 

What to do in Kansas

If you have extra time driving down I-70 in western Kansas, you might check out Castle Rock and Monument Rocks. They're about 20 minutes south of the interstate, but completely unexpected for Kansas.

It's definitely worth it if you need to take a break and stretch your legs. There's the actual "Castle Rock" then a small area of "Badlands" next to it. "Monument Rocks" is a separate area close by that has the appearance of Stonehenge.

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Attractio...er_Kansas.html
castle-rock.jpg   monument-rocks.jpg  
TripLeader is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.