Palo Duro Jeep Jamboree 2010 (warning 56k!) - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Trail Reports & Pictures > Palo Duro Jeep Jamboree 2010 (warning 56k!)

RIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all ECGS Black Friday Sale!!6th Annual, Beat Your Wife to the Credit Card Sale!

Unread 05-16-2010, 08:08 PM   #1
trw
2011 JK Wrangler 

Palo Duro Jeep Jamboree 2010 (warning 56k!)

I attended this one again (I did for the first time back in 2008) because I had a ton of fun the first time I did it.

This year, however, the Jamboree went sour after the first day. The weather got so bad a lot of Jeeps didn't make it out of the canyon at the end of the first day as the trails began to fill up with water from the torrential rains. The exit trail out of the canyon is a steep and twisty trail that turned to pure clay from the rain and made it nearly impassable. I was the last Jeep up that trail myself, and the few Jeeps that did get up had both a winch and a locker and used both.

From what I heard over the CB, most people had to leave their Jeeps on the exit trail overnight, as it was too dangerous to back down, and there were quite a few on that trail as the back log of groups was immense from it taking so long to winch 1 Jeep up the exit trail (it took long enough to move a broken Jeep out of the way, by then there was a long line of Jeeps waiting to winch up the exit trail).

The people that did leave their Jeeps had to pile into Jeeps already at the bottom of the canyon for another way out.

I never heard what happened to them after that, whether or not they made it safely out or not. Once I made it to the top of the canyon, there were only about 6 or 7 Jeeps that made it out, the rest were still down there.

struggling with the exit trail left me with 2 flat tires (struck a boulder, got dirt in the beads) and trashed idler pulleys from all the water (the road back to the property entrance alone was under loads of water) I ended up limping back to town and leaving the next day after getting the tires fixed.

On my way home, I was passed by a few other dirty Jeeps (none from my group though) so I assume they canceled the second day, I imagine a lot of trails were washed out as the creek crossings were quite deep when I crossed them the day before.

If anyone has heard anything on the other Jeeps (I'm hoping someone here was there as well) I would like to know if everyone made it out O.K. that was a truly scary thing, and I was worried afterward, the wind gusts alone made it hard to walk the exit trail.

we did manage to get a full day of wheeling in though before the weather turned bad, here are the pics I got:

1978 Jeep CJ-7 - 304 V8, TH400 auto and quadratrac
2007 Jeep Liberty - Mother's Jeep, BFG ATs and....mud?
trw is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-16-2010, 08:09 PM   #2
trw
2011 JK Wrangler 

take 2

Unread 05-16-2010, 08:10 PM   #3
trw
2011 JK Wrangler 

take 3

Unread 05-16-2010, 08:12 PM   #4
nwiTJdave

looks like a blast. sorry to hear about the weather

This is for fighting, this is for fun.
nwiTJdave is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-17-2010, 01:51 PM   #5
IslandTJ
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Location: where I wheel: N 45º 36.663' W 123º 20.935', Oregon
Great pics, mahalo for sharing .
1998 TJ Moss [COLOR=darkgreen][B][SIZE=3]Green[/SIZE][/B][/COLOR] Sahara w/ numerous scratches & dents whose playground is on a tropical island that's 33 miles long and 4-12 miles wide, in year-round 82 degree weather.

[Edit] "Now jeepin in Oregon" [/Edit]
IslandTJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-17-2010, 05:52 PM   #6
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Wow, sucks you only got one day of wheeling in. Did they refund people some money or offer money off another trip for not being able to run the two day event?
Unread 05-18-2010, 02:08 AM   #7
yoda13
Force Wheeler

2007 JK Wrangler 

great pics...sorry it turned bad...
2007 White Jeep Wrangler X-auto, black freedom top, 15x8 Pro Comp Rock Crawlers, 33x12.5x15 BFG KM2s, Superchips Flashpaq, 2" OME Spring Lift, Bilsteins, Rusty's Adjustable front and rear trac-bar, JKS Quicker Disconnects, Rusty's adjustable lower control arms (front and rear), PolyPerformance adjustable upper control arms (front and rear), OEM Rubicon Rock Rails, Finishlinewest Stonehenge Series rear bumper, Smittybuilt winch, Body Armor Front High Clearance Bumper w/ KC Highlights mounted, Roadmaster towbar, Valley 2" receiver hitch, Skid Row Engine Transmission skid, sPod switching system, KC Highlights windshield mounted lights, Delta replacement non-quadbar xenon headlamps, and Bestop saddlebags-Member of the United Four Wheel Drive Association and Blue Ribbon Coalition, †John 3:16†

RIP Mrs. yoda13... My life is better for having had you in it and you made me a better man...I can't wait to see you again...I love you always and forever, and for all eternity

If you want to help the sport of off-roading, and protect your right to do so, please visit the Envirobeat
forum...

yoda13 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-19-2010, 11:34 AM   #8
74CJMatlock
1974 CJ5 

Great pics. I'm interested in the pair of flatties. Not common to see one of that vintage--much less two together. Do you know anything about them?

I realize that JJUSA can't control the weather, and they can't make money giving refunds every time it rains. However, you'd think that in the interest of repeat business, they could at least give discounts to next year's JJ if the trails were truly impassible on the second day.
Unread 05-19-2010, 11:50 AM   #9
cstepp2002

anyone that participated in JJ2010 @ palo duro canyon, could you please get in contact with me? I need pics and would love a video of the climb out!
cstepp2002 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-19-2010, 01:46 PM   #10
grogie
M-F: Cell Block #4533

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Wow... weather turns too bad that Jeeps can't make it out! Who would have thought? Thanks for sharing the pictures. Still looked like a nice time.

Red Jeep Club #345
2006 TJ Sport
2004 KJ Limited
2013 Off-Road Trailer

grogie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-19-2010, 03:23 PM   #11
trw
2011 JK Wrangler 

Northern Texas is known for severe weather (and tornadoes) that day was one of those days mother nature decided to throw a hissy fit and we all got caught in the middle of it.

I emailed JJUSA about the outcome, and they've told me 25 Jeeps were left stranded in the canyon overnight, and that they are working on compensation packages for everyone.

I do want express my appreciation towards the the trail leaders for trying their best to keep everyone safe, JJUSA has assured me new emergency plans are being worked on for future events.

As for the flatties, those things were awsome They had small issues (but that's to be expected from a vehicle more than half a century old) but they were easily fixed on the trail and just amazed me all day at their abilities; not once did they have to be strapped or pulled for anything (well, until the end of the day that is, they were behind me, so they never made it up).

I did speak with the drivers a couple times, they have been upgraded with a few modern conveniences such as power steering, power disk brakes, and electronic fuel pumps. That is all I know about them really.
Unread 05-20-2010, 02:41 PM   #12
jeepraider
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Good ol amarillo weather. i went to high school there. matter of fact we had our senior trip to that very canyon. 29 years ago.
jeepraider is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-26-2010, 06:21 PM   #13
gkart65

great pictures
gkart65 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-27-2010, 08:34 AM   #14
Gymguyjeep
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Is there anywhere to trail ride out there that is legal and not on private land? I was passing through that area a couple of years ago and looked for a place to ride and found nothing. The guy across from the main entrance that runs vehicles on trail rides was no help at all.

1993 XJ Cherokee - 3" Lift, 31" tires
Previous Jeeps - 1981 CJ-5, 1985 CJ-7
Gymguyjeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-27-2010, 09:15 AM   #15
gkart65

north of Amarillo is an OHV area. Canadian River. Nothing in the canyon, it is all private or park. The Jeep club has 2 events a year, spring Jamboree and a fall ride. Jeep Exclusive is the club name.
gkart65 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.