Ouray, CO - San Juan Mountains - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Trail Reports & Pictures > Ouray, CO - San Juan Mountains

End of Summer Sale, 20% OFF!2007 - 2011 Jeep JK Long Arm Lift KitsIntroducing MONSTALINER UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 10-03-2013, 05:31 PM   #16
j2daugh
2004 WJ 

Amazing trip. I had grandparents who lived in Montrose when I was a boy. Trying my damnest to make it out there in 2014! Thanks for sharing and the info!

j2daugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-03-2013, 09:45 PM   #17
Oldjeepman
1999 TJ Wrangler 

I was there the 15 th thru the 18th of sept great time once again my 3rd trip to the area.Times of year to go after late june thru late sept for the passes to be open around Ouray depending on snow fall amount..Its snowed a couple inches while we were there on top of the passes..
Oldjeepman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-24-2013, 08:34 PM   #18
3Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by BimotaBruce View Post
Any local advice from anyone?....or is it so variable that this is a stupid question? Is May totally impassable?

I'm planning a trip out there...would just like to know what the windows of opportunity are.

Thanks for any help!
^^ for the best odds, wait until mid-July. August is best for predictably clear trails, although you will need to wheel before 2pm to avoid the occasional afternoon rain. September should be clear and dry, and less busy.

2000 WJ Limited 4.7L
(IRO 3" Lift, Bilstein 5100s, 3/4" KOR front spring spacers, IRO adj. track bar, stock Silverblade rims in matte black powdercoat, 245/75/16 Goodyear Duratracs, Akebono caliper upgrade, OE cracks on armrest...)
3Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-25-2013, 08:00 PM   #19
h2ogun
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BimotaBruce View Post
Any local advice from anyone?....or is it so variable that this is a stupid question? Is May totally impassable?

I'm planning a trip out there...would just like to know what the windows of opportunity are.

Thanks for any help!
For the most part, May is too early if you want to hit some of the best trails, but it all depends on how much snow the previous winter.

I have been going every year, and in 2011, there had been so much snow that Black Bear pass was not open until the last week of July. Because of so much snow, the streams were flowing much higher, also an impairment. Then 2012, I was able to get on Black Bear the last week of June (don't think it was officially open). Black bear seams to be the last trail open.

Generally speaking, in a normal year, all trails are open by mid July. August and Sept are open, and they start getting some snow in the high trails the last of Sept.

This past year, (2013), there was more than the usual evening showers. I storm moved in for a couple of days the last few days of July. Trails were all passable, but there was a lot of weather. Below is a link to the photo-video that I produce every year. There was two trips to the summit of Imogene Pass, one with no visibility. Scary but Cool.

There is also some informative shots of the last step and the switchbacks on Black Bear pass that I shot with a very powerful telephoto lens from near the Telluride Airport.

Note that Jeepforum has not been accepting the link to youtube, but if you click on the message in the green bar on the icon, the video will play. Jefro06 helped me with it before, and I have made jeepforum aware, let see how well it works this time.

Takes about 11 min, adjust volume and make sure to click on large screen.
Ride Hard, Tread Lightly

YouTube (Short URL)
?start=" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen>
h2ogun is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-25-2013, 08:51 PM   #20
JeepN4KC
Keep on Jeepin on........

Just went through this thread and checked out all the pics and links and vids - would really love to head out to Ouray, Telluride, Silverton, etc.

Been to Summit County the last 2 summers - amazing trails and views out there heading out of Montezuma/Keystone: SantaFe Peak, Deer Creek/Saints John, Chihuahua Gulch, Keystone Gulch, Radical Hill, Webster Pass, Handcart Gulch, Red Cone, North and Middle Forks of Swan.

The trails coming out of Ouray look fantastic!

My Build Thread WK
My Other Build Thread XJ
'01 XJ with some stuff
Sept 2013 Cherokee of the Month
'07 WK with some other stuff
~RED WK CLUB #7~
'11 KK with mostly stock stuff
'06WK our first Jeep with stock stuff - totalled and gone
JeepN4KC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-27-2013, 08:25 AM   #21
BimotaBruce
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Thank you for your insight and experience everyone!

GREAT vid h20gun!
MetalCloak Overlines, 4" Currie springs & CA's, 1" BL, Rancho 9000's, 35" MTR's, D44's w/ARB's & 4.27's, RCV & Superior Axles, 241 TC, UCF TummyTuck, GenRight mini-boatside sliders DirtWorx bumpers, OR Fab sportcage, Viair OBA, Savvy GTS
BimotaBruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-28-2013, 08:26 PM   #22
Jeffro06
October 2012 TJOTM

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Moab Trails I've done: Onion Creek, Long Canyon, Dome Plateau, Top of The World (2), Fins-N-Things (2), Poison Spider,
Golden Spike, Gold Bar Rim, Hell's Revenge (2), Baby Lion Back, Cliff Hanger, Moab Rim, Kane Creek Canyon, Strike Ravine

Shortcuts to key points in my build: MTRk's OME 2" HD Lift Antirock Skidrow steering box & radiator skids LoD rear bumper
Rokmen Mercenary bumper w/Superwinch Rokmen sliders Skidrow engine skid Rampage Top CB set up
Custom trunk Rokmen 1" Billet spacers JJ track bar Rokmen Adjustable Control Arms Currectlync Steering
Rokmen Trail Corners Metalcloak Overlines Kentrol Hood Latches JK Turn Signals Xenon 4" Flat Flares Hood Decal Duratracs
Derale Tranny Cooler DieHard Factor 55 Thimble Ten Factory Front Chromo Shafts

Get your build sheet here.
Jeffro06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-03-2013, 06:45 AM   #23
h2ogun
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Jeffro06
Thanks for fixing the link to the video..........AGAIN. Your the BEST.

Ride Hard Tread Lightly
Dif
Unread 04-10-2014, 08:28 PM   #24
GeoBigJon
Cactus Hobbit

2014 JK Wrangler 

Great ride report, thanks for sharing.

If you eat, drink, or wear cloths then you're involved in agriculture.
GeoBigJon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-10-2014, 10:35 PM   #25
bfewkwa

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Absolutely glad to share. Best part is, I've relocated to Durango, CO now. Planning to pick up where we left off with more trails this summer.

Would welcome the chance to ride with any other forum members who might head this way.
bfewkwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-10-2014, 10:46 PM   #26
Jeffro06
October 2012 TJOTM

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfewkwa View Post
Absolutely glad to share. Best part is, I've relocated to Durango, CO now. Planning to pick up where we left off with more trails this summer.

Would welcome the chance to ride with any other forum members who might head this way.
Jealous. If all goes right I'll be out there in August......if only it were to live.

Moab Trails I've done: Onion Creek, Long Canyon, Dome Plateau, Top of The World (2), Fins-N-Things (2), Poison Spider,
Golden Spike, Gold Bar Rim, Hell's Revenge (2), Baby Lion Back, Cliff Hanger, Moab Rim, Kane Creek Canyon, Strike Ravine

Shortcuts to key points in my build: MTRk's OME 2" HD Lift Antirock Skidrow steering box & radiator skids LoD rear bumper
Rokmen Mercenary bumper w/Superwinch Rokmen sliders Skidrow engine skid Rampage Top CB set up
Custom trunk Rokmen 1" Billet spacers JJ track bar Rokmen Adjustable Control Arms Currectlync Steering
Rokmen Trail Corners Metalcloak Overlines Kentrol Hood Latches JK Turn Signals Xenon 4" Flat Flares Hood Decal Duratracs
Derale Tranny Cooler DieHard Factor 55 Thimble Ten Factory Front Chromo Shafts

Get your build sheet here.
Jeffro06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-11-2014, 05:34 AM   #27
h2ogun
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfewkwa View Post

"Must be nice" ( I say with a jealous tone)

But really, that would be a super permanent base to work from. Beats the 750 miles I hve to drive, and probably at least twice that for Jeffro

And Two questions:

Any feedback on quantity of snow this year? I know that other areas of Colorado have had more that normal amount of snow, which effects when the passes are open in the following summer. Im not sure when to plan to get there this coming summer.

2nd, I have been working on maps and planning other trails in the San Juans, other than the more popular trails. (more so, west and S-west of Silverton some great looking stuff there), Any chance that you have looked into that?

Dif
Unread 04-12-2014, 08:12 AM   #28
bfewkwa

2004 TJ Wrangler 

We just moved in Jan. The winter in town was extremely mild, but I've haven't heard if the snowfall up in the mountains was less than normal. My guess is that was lower, but I have no facts to back that up.

I also haven't really started researching trails too much. I've got the Charles Wells CO book and have so much left to do from that one resource that I've not looked any further.

So basically, I'm no help... : )
bfewkwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-13-2014, 11:40 PM   #29
learfxr
2000 TJ Wrangler 

We have taken our TJ up there twice and ran some trails with a great couple that used to live in Ouray. It was great to have people that know the trails so well. They showed us around both years we went up there.

This year we have booked another trip to the area. This year we have my wife's cousin and family coming with us. We will be up there the first part of August.

I'm trying to figure out a plan for trails that we can take each day. We have been on several of them, but that was a few years ago. I'm excited to make it back up there with the Jeep. We tow the Jeep to Durango and stay at a hotel there. I build up my hotel points all year at work and use them for trips like this.

00 TJ 8.8 swap, 35's and 4.88's
learfxr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-14-2014, 11:03 AM   #30
h2ogun
2006 TJ Wrangler 

bfewkwa

Im just glad to hear that the snow may not be as heavy as I thought.

The Charles Wells books are GREAT. Colorado has no idea what Funtreks (Wells books) has done for offroading in the state. They also have the SD cards for your GPS (most gps) that have all the trails, still need the book but with SDcard the trail is highlighted on your GPS.

Ill be glad when they get their offroad book out for New Mexico.

Your are fortunate, living in Durango, its all in your "backyard" and you can literally do the San Juan trails as a day trip..........lucky dog!

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.