Ouray, CO - San Juan Mountains - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Trail Reports & Pictures > Ouray, CO - San Juan Mountains

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 08-15-2013, 02:35 PM   #1
bfewkwa

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Ouray, CO - San Juan Mountains

I had to work in Montrose, CO for a week, so the wife and I took advantage of grandparent's babysitting and enjoyed a long weekend of Jeeping in the San Juan mountains.

In two days, we rode:
- Black Bear Pass
- Imogene Pass
- Engineer Pass (about half of it)
- California Pass
- Hurricane Pass
- Corkscrew Gulch
- Yankee Boy Basin

It was our first time to take the Jeep on an extended road trip. I was slightly apprehensive as to how it would go, but the TJ just ate up the miles and the trails like it was nothing.

If you want to see a full trip report with about 60 pictures, I've posted one here: http://www.bfewkwa.com/?p=222

If not, the summary is that CO rocks and I wish I lived there. Ouray is amazing and I now have first hand knowledge of why it is nicknamed the Jeep Capitol of the World.

Here's one picture to whet your appetite. Follow the link above to see the rest.

bfewkwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-15-2013, 03:33 PM   #2
av8tr

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Great report, thanks for sharing. My family and I made it to Ouray two years ago, I have found my retirement location.

()_)-()_)-o-)_)

2001 TJ
2007 KJ
2007 Dodge Ram 2500
av8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-15-2013, 04:41 PM   #3
bfewkwa

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by av8tr View Post
....I have found my retirement location.
No doubt....I just don't want to wait that long.
Unread 08-15-2013, 04:49 PM   #4
av8tr

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Nor do I, actually have half way looked in Grand Junction. Couple hours to Ouray or Moab. That would be just a move, not retirement, still have 20 plus years for that.

()_)-()_)-o-)_)

2001 TJ
2007 KJ
2007 Dodge Ram 2500
av8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-16-2013, 02:58 PM   #5
boydmc85
2008 JK Wrangler 

Ouray is great

Awesome pics. Brings back memories from 2 months ago when the wife and I spent a week in the same area. It was a long drive from Plano, TX but well worth it.
boydmc85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-17-2013, 12:13 PM   #6
yoda13
Force Wheeler

2007 JK Wrangler 

Been on these trails many many times! Thanks for reminding me how great they are!
2007 White Jeep Wrangler X-auto, black freedom top, 15x8 Pro Comp Rock Crawlers, 33x12.5x15 BFG KM2s, Superchips Flashpaq, 2" OME Spring Lift, Bilsteins, Rusty's Adjustable front and rear trac-bar, JKS Quicker Disconnects, Rusty's adjustable lower control arms (front and rear), PolyPerformance adjustable upper control arms (front and rear), OEM Rubicon Rock Rails, Finishlinewest Stonehenge Series rear bumper, Smittybuilt winch, Body Armor Front High Clearance Bumper w/ KC Highlights mounted, Roadmaster towbar, Valley 2" receiver hitch, Skid Row Engine Transmission skid, sPod switching system, KC Highlights windshield mounted lights, Delta replacement non-quadbar xenon headlamps, and Bestop saddlebags-Member of the United Four Wheel Drive Association and Blue Ribbon Coalition, †John 3:16†

RIP Mrs. yoda13... My life is better for having had you in it and you made me a better man...I can't wait to see you again...I love you always and forever, and for all eternity

If you want to help the sport of off-roading, and protect your right to do so, please visit the Envirobeat
forum...

yoda13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-19-2013, 12:24 PM   #7
rendell
2006 LJ Wrangler 

I recently made the same trip on the same trails. Such an awesome place!
rendell is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-11-2013, 10:14 AM   #8
cllllllb
1974 CJ5 

Glorious. I'm headed that way next yeat for sure! Nice pics btw.
cllllllb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-11-2013, 04:42 PM   #9
je4wdep
1997 TJ Wrangler 

We lived in Montrose for 4 years until the bottom fell out in 2008. That meant moving back to Texas for work. Loved living there except for the winters. We were not into winter sports......but if you are, that will work in your favor. The ghost towns in the San Juans are numerous and documented here. www.ghosttowns.com We were also into geocaching.....always good to get out and exercise your legs. www.geocaching.com
Unread 09-12-2013, 10:02 AM   #10
BimotaBruce
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Great trip!!

Generally, anyone know what are the months that these trails are passable?
MetalCloak Overlines, 4" Currie springs & CA's, 1" BL, Rancho 9000's, 35" MTR's, D44's w/ARB's & 4.27's, RCV & Superior Axles, 241 TC, UCF TummyTuck, GenRight mini-boatside sliders DirtWorx bumpers, OR Fab sportcage, Viair OBA, Savvy GTS
BimotaBruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-13-2013, 09:36 AM   #11
Jeffro06
October 2012 TJOTM

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Very cool, I hope to be out there in August of 2014.

Moab Trails I've done: Onion Creek, Long Canyon, Dome Plateau, Top of The World (2), Fins-N-Things (2), Poison Spider,
Golden Spike, Gold Bar Rim, Hell's Revenge (2), Baby Lion Back, Cliff Hanger, Moab Rim, Kane Creek Canyon, Strike Ravine

Shortcuts to key points in my build: MTRk's OME 2" HD Lift Antirock Skidrow steering box & radiator skids LoD rear bumper
Rokmen Mercenary bumper w/Superwinch Rokmen sliders Skidrow engine skid Rampage Top CB set up
Custom trunk Rokmen 1" Billet spacers JJ track bar Rokmen Adjustable Control Arms Currectlync Steering
Rokmen Trail Corners Metalcloak Overlines Kentrol Hood Latches JK Turn Signals Xenon 4" Flat Flares Hood Decal Duratracs
Derale Tranny Cooler DieHard Factor 55 Thimble Ten Factory Front Chromo Shafts

Get your build sheet here.
Jeffro06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-22-2013, 10:40 PM   #12
dubb77
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfewkwa
I had to work in Montrose, CO for a week, so the wife and I took advantage of grandparent's babysitting and enjoyed a long weekend of Jeeping in the San Juan mountains. In two days, we rode: - Black Bear Pass - Imogene Pass - Engineer Pass (about half of it) - California Pass - Hurricane Pass - Corkscrew Gulch - Yankee Boy Basin It was our first time to take the Jeep on an extended road trip. I was slightly apprehensive as to how it would go, but the TJ just ate up the miles and the trails like it was nothing. If you want to see a full trip report with about 60 pictures, I've posted one here: http://www.bfewkwa.com/?p=222 If not, the summary is that CO rocks and I wish I lived there. Ouray is amazing and I now have first hand knowledge of why it is nicknamed the Jeep Capitol of the World. Here's one picture to whet your appetite. Follow the link above to see the rest.
cool review. I'm heading out there in 2 days. It is going to be my first time off roading and I'm wondering if it will be something a novice wheeler can handle? And do you go out with people or meet people and tag along? Any advice would be helpful. Thanks
(o)_) (o)_)--(o)_)
dubb77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-24-2013, 08:47 AM   #13
bfewkwa

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubb77 View Post
cool review. I'm heading out there in 2 days. It is going to be my first time off roading and I'm wondering if it will be something a novice wheeler can handle? And do you go out with people or meet people and tag along? Any advice would be helpful. Thanks

Sorry for the slow response. I hope you get to see this before you head out to CO.

I consider myself to be a novice wheeler too. I've been to a couple of off-road parks here in TX, but this was my first trip to CO.

Generally speaking it is never a good idea to wheel alone, but I didn't worry about it too much when we were in CO simple because of the number of people out running the trails. I'm not sure how busy the trails will be this time of year, but we were always seeing other people every 30 min or so.

In my opinion, the key to enjoying any of the trails is to be prepared, take it easy and go slow. Black Bear is the perfect example. There's nothing too technical or hard about the trail, but it has a bad reputation because of the high risk factor of the last mile of switchbacks heading down into Telluride. I had no trouble tackling it in the rain, but we simply locked the Jeep down into 4-Lo and crawled down slowly.

Enjoy your trip and take lots of pictures. The colors should be starting to change and I think you'll see some amazing scenery.
Unread 09-24-2013, 08:55 AM   #14
BimotaBruce
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BimotaBruce View Post
Great trip!!

Generally, anyone know what are the months that these trails are passable?
Any local advice from anyone?....or is it so variable that this is a stupid question? Is May totally impassable?

I'm planning a trip out there...would just like to know what the windows of opportunity are.

Thanks for any help!
MetalCloak Overlines, 4" Currie springs & CA's, 1" BL, Rancho 9000's, 35" MTR's, D44's w/ARB's & 4.27's, RCV & Superior Axles, 241 TC, UCF TummyTuck, GenRight mini-boatside sliders DirtWorx bumpers, OR Fab sportcage, Viair OBA, Savvy GTS
BimotaBruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-24-2013, 09:06 AM   #15
bfewkwa

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfewkwa View Post
Sorry for the slow response. I hope you get to see this before you head out to CO.

I consider myself to be a novice wheeler too. I've been to a couple of off-road parks here in TX, but this was my first trip to CO.

Generally speaking it is never a good idea to wheel alone, but I didn't worry about it too much when we were in CO simple because of the number of people out running the trails. I'm not sure how busy the trails will be this time of year, but we were always seeing other people every 30 min or so.

In my opinion, the key to enjoying any of the trails is to be prepared, take it easy and go slow. Black Bear is the perfect example. There's nothing too technical or hard about the trail, but it has a bad reputation because of the high risk factor of the last mile of switchbacks heading down into Telluride. I had no trouble tackling it in the rain, but we simply locked the Jeep down into 4-Lo and crawled down slowly.

Enjoy your trip and take lots of pictures. The colors should be starting to change and I think you'll see some amazing scenery.
One more thought.....

jscherb was just there in CO and posted some pictures from his trip. Might be ready for snow....

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/sa.../index411.html

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.