Otay Mountain Trail Pictures - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Trail Reports & Pictures > Otay Mountain Trail Pictures

1984-2001 Jeep Cherokee Front Upper & Lower Control ArSwag Off Road BIG-HIT TJ-YJ Rear BumperFS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome Effect

Unread 08-18-2006, 02:19 PM   #1
dionysius
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Otay Mountain Trail Pictures

I took my son and grand daughter over the Otay Mountain truck trail here is San Diego. Otay Mountain is located on the border of Mexico and Otay Mesa here in southern San Diego. We accessed the trail from Alta Road which is off the 905 highway that runs along the border.

The west access we took was recently oiled to keep the dust down. My jeep is now well lubed (only 146 miles on it). This isn't technically challenging other than you need to stay on the trail as the drop off is a thousand feet or better in some spots. The trail is over 12 miles in length and will take a couple of hours.

The east side is less well kept and the trail is quite narrow. There is an offset, or mid trail that can take you just east of the Upper Otay Lake, however, that run is usually really washed out, so be warned.

This trail has our Border Patrol/Homeland Security folks actively working the area. They are good folks and will let you know if and when the trail is closed.

Here are some pictures of the trip:

Denis

Unread 08-18-2006, 02:26 PM   #2
SirGCal

Quote:
Originally Posted by dionysius
I took my son and grand daughter over the Otay Mountain truck trail here is San Diego. Otay Mountain is located on the border of Mexico and Otay Mesa here in southern San Diego. We accessed the trail from Alta Road which is off the 905 highway that runs along the border.

The west access we took was recently oiled to keep the dust down. My jeep is now well lubed (only 146 miles on it). This isn't technically challenging other than you need to stay on the trail as the drop off is a thousand feet or better in some spots. The trail is over 12 miles in length and will take a couple of hours.

The east side is less well kept and the trail is quite narrow. There is an offset, or mid trail that can take you just east of the Upper Otay Lake, however, that run is usually really washed out, so be warned.

This trail has our Border Patrol/Homeland Security folks actively working the area. They are good folks and will let you know if and when the trail is closed.

Here are some pictures of the trip:

Denis
Click free...

Living and loving on borrowed time. Life with Multiple Sclerosis. My MS/Life blog, Audio and Electronic write-ups, project how-tos, pictures, stories, and more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirGCal
If you can't take a nano-second to press shift/period/etc. and make proper sentences and paragraphs, I don't know if I can take a few minutes to respond to your topics... It doesn't have to be perfect by any means, but a little effort goes a long way.
SirGCal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-18-2006, 02:27 PM   #3
SirGCal

Pardon my language.. but that is one @#$%ING pretty view!!! Holy cow!

Living and loving on borrowed time. Life with Multiple Sclerosis. My MS/Life blog, Audio and Electronic write-ups, project how-tos, pictures, stories, and more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirGCal
If you can't take a nano-second to press shift/period/etc. and make proper sentences and paragraphs, I don't know if I can take a few minutes to respond to your topics... It doesn't have to be perfect by any means, but a little effort goes a long way.
SirGCal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-18-2006, 04:48 PM   #4
bvjeep
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Looks AWESOME!!! Good to see you getting it broke in good.

Remember: It Aint Perdy Till It's Dirty!!!!!
Colorado Jeep Member #1999
bvjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-18-2006, 06:48 PM   #5
GroundClearance
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Looks good! Wanna hit truckhaven labor day weekend?
'94 Grand Cherokee ZJ RIP FEB 25 2006
'47 CJ2A
Quote:
Originally Posted by knatdog55
matt, you are a dirty hooker, deal with it....
U.S. NAVY JEEP HULL # 41

TGC4x4 NOW WORKING
GroundClearance is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-28-2006, 03:34 PM   #6
GSPJeeper

OH MAN I MISS SAN DIEGO. I moved to denver exactly a year ago and I miss it incredibly. Go and check out Corral Canyon. Some good offroading out there, quite a bit more difficult than Otay but the rubi will not break a sweat. The thing I miss most is anza borrego. May still be too hot but in a month or so, you should go out fish creek, arroyo seco del diablo, canyon sin nombre, Arroyo Tapiado Mud Caves, etc. Big Bear should be on your list before winter too. God I am homesick. Have fun with your rubi.
GSPJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-29-2006, 06:15 PM   #7
dionysius
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Yeah, it's 108 degrees out there right now. Another month and it will cool down. Corral Canyon's nice, I use to ride my bike out there. Need to take the jeep there.

I just break out the Thomas Guide and look for truck trails and then go find them. Sloan Canyon an easy ride, nice view. The Anzo Borrego is really nice, got to try that again soon.

Denis
Unread 08-30-2006, 06:26 AM   #8
grogie
M-F: Cell Block #4533

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Nice view, and it is a beautiful area. Thanks for the pictures. My wife's job took us to SD for two years ('98 to '00). Unfortunately we didn't own a Jeep (although I almost bought an XJ while there... should have!). It's a neat corner of the world, as I use to refer to it.

Red Jeep Club #345
2006 TJ Sport
2004 KJ Limited
2013 Off-Road Trailer

grogie is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.