My July 4th weekend at Naches WA - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Trail Reports & Pictures > My July 4th weekend at Naches WA

SYE Kits from CCOR! 706-207-4140Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge Bushings

Unread 07-04-2011, 11:51 PM   #1
BaddAndy
2013 JK Wrangler 

My July 4th weekend at Naches WA

I arrived Friday afternoon and found a spot along the river along FR19.

Saturday, I waited till noon for friends to arrive, but they never showed up so decided to run the east end of the Naches trail 684 up to the west end where the 1175 trail starts. I latched onto the tail end of 4 Jeeps as we went thru some mud holes and over and around fallen trees until we hit snow with a long downhill. I turned around at this point as I didn't want to be a burden as it looked like a possible winch fest if I had to come back up it. After chatting with 3 Jeepers I met on the way back, I took a side road up to the 684-1175 intersection.

On Sunday I waited until 10am for my friends to show. No dice, so I decided to head out to take dirt roads to Clover Springs, then run the trails from there. I made it to about 6,400 ft and about 4 miles short due to snow. After I turned around, along came 2 Jeeps. After chatting for awhile, we all agreed to take a route to the Upper Clover Springs trailhead and see if we could reach the Springs that way. 1st we would take a little side-trip up to the Snowmobile cabin so they could look for a Geocash.

When we got to the turnoff from FR 1600 to FR 1605, we were greete by a closed sign. Alot of roads in the forest got wiped out by this springs storms, but I wasn't prepared for this one. After we weighed our options, it was decided to attempt and see how hairy the BLACK DIAMOND Lower Clover Springs trail was like.
Here we are starting down.

Bert is at the point of no return. Actually I'm at the point, but what he's looking at is alot scarier than what I'm looking at! The trail heads straight down from there!

Of course I couldn't take any pics on the way down, but here's some looking back up. At the upper end of the pics you'll see sky, but you're still coming straight down before that point!

After we reached the bottom, the trail tightly snakes in and around trees.

This trail doesn't get used much, I wonder why?

We had three fast moving creek crossings, the 1st one was the deepest and most worrisome.

Luckily the exit was totally different than the entry. Basically some short uphill, old logging road, then some semi-steep side hill that wasn't bad as I had reconnected my front swaybar before we headed up.

Lunch time a little self-pat on the back for accomplishing this trail I've wanted to try for a long time.

Unread 07-05-2011, 12:15 AM   #2
BaddAndy
2013 JK Wrangler 

After lunch, we pressed on the Upper Clover Springs 697 trail.

About .3 miles past the 697-695 intersection, we hit snow. After Bert and Joel winched up one section, we hit another possible winch section and it was agreed by all to turn around and run the Schneider Springs 695 trail to the Mud Springs trail back to road.

Creek crossing on the 695 trail.

I've never seen blown down on the Mud Springs trail before, but there were many, and some made for some interesting events.

After I got back to camp, I found 2 notes from my friends who had actually been camping 3 miles down the road. They never even dove up the road to look for me Saturday and only stumbled upon my camp on Sunday. Oh well, I had more fun!
Unread 07-05-2011, 12:16 AM   #3
moonshinefuel
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Wow, very cool. The worrisome part is what if something breaks on the worst part of one of those trails of course way out in the middle of the forest. Those were aggressive some of those areas, and images don't do it justice sometimes. Hats off you made it. Its a good feeling making it through. Great pics by the way. Thanks for sharing.
Unread 07-05-2011, 10:00 AM   #4
IslandTJ
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Location: where I wheel: N 45║ 36.663' W 123║ 20.935', Oregon
Great pics and commentary, mahalo for sharing. Pacific Northwest wheeling is always a sight and experience to behold .
1998 TJ Moss [COLOR=darkgreen][B][SIZE=3]Green[/SIZE][/B][/COLOR] Sahara w/ numerous scratches & dents whose playground is on a tropical island that's 33 miles long and 4-12 miles wide, in year-round 82 degree weather.

[Edit] "Now jeepin in Oregon" [/Edit]
IslandTJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-05-2011, 09:28 PM   #5
bjrman38

That was a good run down the clover springs trail. Not sure if I would want to go up it. Those are some great pics I'm glad we ran into you.
bjrman38 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-06-2011, 11:50 PM   #6
BaddAndy
2013 JK Wrangler 

Like I said after we made it down, I would make trail so I wouldn't have to go back up that hill. LOL Thanks for letting me tag with you guys, had a good run. BTW, NWJeepn describes the trail opposite we ran it. I DON'T THINK SO! Awaiting your pics.
Unread 07-07-2011, 12:27 PM   #7
MountainMan864
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Thats awesome. Great camping and great wheeling area. Cant believe there is still snow up there thats insane.
MountainMan864 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-07-2011, 11:31 PM   #8
BaddAndy
2013 JK Wrangler 

Record snows this year. Heavy April snow was the topper. We still have one resort near the pass still open for skiing!
Unread 07-09-2011, 06:51 AM   #9
grogie
M-F: Cell Block #4533

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Looked like a good time! Thanks for sharing.

Red Jeep Club #345
2006 TJ Sport
2004 KJ Limited
2013 Off-Road Trailer

grogie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.