Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

My adventures in Moab

2K views 10 replies 8 participants last post by  madmax79 
#1 ·
I made a short trip to Moab recently and like everyone said, it was hot. It was comparable to Florida but if you don't have a/c in your Jeep, it would be bad.

Here's a few of my lessons learned:

1. If you rent a Jeep, be sure to ask what trails you are allowed to go on. I rented from Canyonlands and they had a list of prohibited trails. I could have went on some of the prohibited trails, but they also do Hummer tours and I probably would have been spotted. They made it feel like they would really scrutinize the Jeep for damage if they found out. The hardest trail I went on was Fins & Things. It was fun but I was reminded by a local at a car wash on the last day that "it's one of the easiest trails around here".

Basically what I got was a sightseeing Jeep. Next time I get out there I will rent from Jim at Outlaw tours. I met him out there and he was really cool and has a great product that you can take on the good/popular trails.

2. Service in town is hit and miss. I tried Eddie McStiffs and the Slickrock Cafe. Both had terrible service. I sat at McStiffs for 15 minutes and didn't even get acknowledged. At Slickrock, I at least got a glass of water but no menu and nothiing else for 10 minutes.

The best service was at Moab Brewery. Courtney and Heather were great and the food was awesome. I highly recommend it. Service and food was also good at Zax.

3. I have to go back and do it right!

Here are some pics... you have to go a little ways into it to find the Jeep pics but there are some there:

http://s34.photobucket.com/albums/d106/matanzasjeepclub/Moab July 2009/?albumview=slideshow

See less See more
#3 ·
Cool man, glad you had fun.

I just went in Late June/early July. Drove my TJ from Texas, and the A/C went out as we were polling out of my drive way... I drove about 3k miles with just my half doors and a top.

You can take rentals as two ways, its not your so you can beat on it, or... Its not yours so you can't beat on it.

#5 ·
You can take rentals as two ways, its not your so you can beat on it, or... Its not yours so you can't beat on it.
The deductible was $3000, so if something happened to it, it would have been part mine.:laugh:

#10 ·
madmax: question for you, did you do the jeep/stay package that the "big horn lodge" in Moab offers? i see they offer a jeep rental (through canyonlands) and a 2 night stay for like $129.99. i'd really like to get out to MOAB early next spring and was looking to do some type of package deal. i dont really care if i cant go on anything too wild with the jeep..more or less a nice way to see the beautiful landscape out west, from your pictures the place looks awesome!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.