Most Unusual Trip To Ouray-Telluride - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Trail Reports & Pictures > Most Unusual Trip To Ouray-Telluride

GEARSHADE Pocket Tops in stock and available at ROCKRIDGE The ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! BroughFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 09-12-2013, 01:35 PM   #1
h2ogun
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Most Unusual Trip To Ouray-Telluride

Made the summer trip to Ouray Telluride area This time with the new to me Green 2006 Rubicon. By end of July, all passes were open and not much snow left, think it was a low snow year. However, more rain than the usual evening showers.

Met up with friends from Denver and Utah, and ran Governors , Sydney, and Yankee Boy Basins. Super wildflowers and greeeeen mountains.

Topped Out

Next day we ran Imogene from Telluride. Slid a little off the south side of the summit at the sign. Out of the blue (literality) we were buzzed by a sail plane (well guess it's more like swooped).

Imogene Summit

Sail Plane above the Imogene Pass Summit

First half of next day was normal weather before the storms moved in. Small hail made one peak near Cement creek look like snow.

Elk were feeding the on Corkscrew.

Once the storms moved in, the goal was to go back to Imogene Pass and get above the storm clouds. Never happened, and ended up with layer of clouds below and above with clear (overcast) weather that gave new perspective of Bridal Veil and Ingram Falls Imogene summit was only about 20 ft visibility.

Cloudy Imogene Summit

Ingram and Bridal Vail Falls between cloud layers

To keep this post from being photo heavy, attached is YouTube presentation of the sights. Video moves quickly and much more informative with shots from Ophir, Black Bear (telephoto shots of Black Bear steps from far west side of Telluride), Engineers Pass, California , Corkscrew, Porphyry , Poughkeepsie Gulch, Treasure Loop, Etc.
Make sure to select large screen format and adjust volume
Enjoy.
Link to More: Click on the Green "youtube"bar to see video
YouTube (Short URL)
?start=" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen>

For some reason, jeepforum is not letting he link go through.

Ride Hard Tread Lightly
Dif

Last edited by h2ogun; 09-12-2013 at 01:48 PM.. Reason: Jeepforum not picking up on youtube link???
h2ogun is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-13-2013, 09:32 AM   #2
Jeffro06
October 2012 TJOTM

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Awesome. I'm planning on being out there in August of 2014.

Fixed your link:

Moab Trails I've done: Onion Creek, Long Canyon, Dome Plateau, Top of The World (2), Fins-N-Things (2), Poison Spider,
Golden Spike, Gold Bar Rim, Hell's Revenge (2), Baby Lion Back, Cliff Hanger, Moab Rim, Kane Creek Canyon, Strike Ravine

Shortcuts to key points in my build: MTRk's OME 2" HD Lift Antirock Skidrow steering box & radiator skids LoD rear bumper
Rokmen Mercenary bumper w/Superwinch Rokmen sliders Skidrow engine skid Rampage Top CB set up
Custom trunk Rokmen 1" Billet spacers JJ track bar Rokmen Adjustable Control Arms Currectlync Steering
Rokmen Trail Corners Metalcloak Overlines Kentrol Hood Latches JK Turn Signals Xenon 4" Flat Flares Hood Decal Duratracs
Derale Tranny Cooler DieHard Factor 55 Thimble Ten Factory Front Chromo Shafts

Get your build sheet here.
Jeffro06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-15-2013, 06:45 AM   #3
h2ogun
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffro06 View Post
Awesome. I'm planning on being out there in August of 2014.

Fixed your link:

fixed it for you
Jeffro06
Thanks loads for fixing the link. I have this posted on other forums and it went in fine, was hoping one of the moderators would know what to do.

Your plans for next August, your gonna love it. Different than Moab, and distinct challenges I admit I like mid July or little after, but less rain in August. Lets stay in touch, it may be possible that we can jeep together there.

"Ride Hard, Tread Lightly"
Dif
Unread 09-16-2013, 01:50 PM   #4
04LJmas

Very nice job on the pics, definitely on my bucket list, started up there this year but broke down 2 hours away from home. maybe next year.
04LJmas is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-16-2013, 01:56 PM   #5
relgnarw
2002 TJ Wrangler 

I love that first picture. I really miss the Rockies.

My onboard air build.
[url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f176/viair-install-02-tj-w-cruise-5-spd-1379665/[/url]
relgnarw is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-22-2013, 10:56 PM   #6
dubb77
2013 JK Wrangler 

Going out to ouray in 2 days. Gonna be my first time off roading. Anything I need to be aware of? Where not to go for my first time?
(o)_) (o)_)--(o)_)
dubb77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-23-2013, 06:35 AM   #7
h2ogun
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubb77 View Post
Going out to ouray in 2 days. Gonna be my first time off roading. Anything I need to be aware of? Where not to go for my first time?
Always a good idea to travel on the trails with someone even if you just met them. Better still if your travel buddy has been there before.

Start early in the day, to give yourself plenty of time to find your way in the event you get lost, don't want to be on stuck on the trail at night. Once you know your way(subsequent trip) that will be less an issue.

I looked at your profile, and you appear to have a competent, well equipped jeep, I am surprised that this is your first time to go off road.

When I go and have someone new, I like to take them to Governor Basin and Yankee boy Basin first. They give good experience, are a realistic challenge and yet a more forgiving of mistakes than some of the other trails.

Most anything on the alpine loop is good and easier than Governors Basin. So after Governors basin, everything else will seem like a "piece of cake"

Would have to say Imogene pass is a favorite with lots of waterfalls, views, mining history, etc. and no major obstacles, shelf roads can be a little "nerving".

Black Bear pass is always done from east to west. Black bear pass is a major challenge and the switchbacks are un-forgiving. If you have any doubts about your ability, just avoid that trail. Black bear is partially one way so you hve to make a commitment past that point, no backtracking. The steps are a challenge and the last step at Ingram falls (overlooking Telluride) takes a lot of courage, but as noted, the switchbacks after Ingram falls are dangerous. The first 4 are the most critical, three point turns with your wheel base, and having a spotter is a good idea. And knowing your jeep well is a necessity (turning radius, friction points, emergency brake, etc.). Don't think snow or Ice will be an issue yet, but doing Black bear in slick conditions is not a good idea.

Poughkeepsie Gulch will have some extreme obstacles, you be the judge.

Other things to consider, all the trails are one lane and up hill traffic will have right of way, but my philosophy is to be courteous and let others pass if you have a good place to pull over. ATVs can be unpredictable, watch out for them. Motorcycle folks are usually pretty good to share the trail, they move faster and take less space, so let them pass.

I am envious, wish I were going, and you may catch some of the fall colors. Have a good time, error to caution.

Hope this helps

"Ride Hard, Tread Lightly"
Dif

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.