Moon/Funny Rocks/Eastern WA, 9/11/2010 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Trail Reports & Pictures > Moon/Funny Rocks/Eastern WA, 9/11/2010

ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO December Specials at Jeephut.comAlloy usa heavy duty ball joint kits

Unread 09-14-2010, 02:19 AM   #1
RaggedOleMan
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Moon/Funny Rocks/Eastern WA, 9/11/2010

Group shot when we aired down.

MCE Mike/WAC

MCE Jason/Ziptie and father Phill...:-)

This trip had been planned for several weeks. The MCE boys, (Mike/Jason; Modern classic Enterprises), Robb & Barb/RBXj, John #1, John #2, John #3 & Donna (Donna Mae & I), Rich/PepCsLj & Scott/SnoqualmieTj all met up in North Bend, WA at 8:30 am on Saturday 9/11. It was another 80 miles or so to Ellensburg, WA where we all topped off our tanks before heading to the trail head.

RBXj (Robb & Barb)

SnoqualmieTj/Scott! Great to gret to wheel with you again, Scott!

John #1

John #2

Rich/PepCsLj

John & Donna/RaggedOleMan

We aired down, did our pre-trail tasks and headed out for a day at Funny & Moon Rocks in Eastern, WA. There were supposed to be 150 rigs +/- up there that day and we wanted to be there, too. By the way, see the distorted flares on the red Tj/my heep? That's what happens when you don't add an inch or so of bumpstop to the front on a 2-1/2" OME suspension lift, 1-1/4" pucks on 33x12.5r15 BFG KM2's...no problemo, the MCE Flatty's are in the garage, about to be christened...

It was only 10/20 minutes into the trail before the only carnage of the day surfaced. A bad rear u-joint relegated the Rubi to front wheel drive only. A few minutes to pull the driveshaft and we were rolling again.

For all the d35 haters out there...the red Tj is sportin' a d35 with a Superior C-Clip Eliminator with Superior Evolution Series, 27 spline shafts. It's pullin' that Rubi up this, and several other inclines/hill climbs on the way to Funny/Moon rocks. More than once, others offered to tow him up, concerned the d35 couldn't make it, but, this was a great test of the Superior kit and well, I wanted to give it hell...it performed flawlessly and never once complained, EDIT: until it did a little over a year later. The Superior CCE with 27 spine shafts busted and took out the locker with it in January of 2012. I would not buy the Superior 27 spline set up, and run a locker with it.

A view of Manastash Lake on the way to Funny & Moon Rocks...

(Above) Not sure who this guy is, but, he made easy work of this thing. Jason had been watching, waiting his turn!

There he goes...that's MCE Jason doing the line he'd not done before.

He was providing an opportunity to check out the underside of them Flatty's! Lookin' Good Jason...

MasterPull was there...

Showin' off them Flatty's again...

That's MCE Mike. He made this little climb look easy. He just crawled to it, bumped it and floated on up. He made it look so easy in fact, that I just had to give it a try. The pics are below. I ended up doing it three times that day! Well, two...the first time I got up, but, let's just say finesse' wouldn't be the best way to describe it. A group of onlookers that were taking photo's of the attempt scattered like someone farted when I got up this thing! Man, they were lucky! We all laughed about it, but, frankly it was ugly...so I took another shot at it determined to do it better, smoother like I knew what I was doing...and man it was sweet. It was smooth...and if everyone hadn't seen me do it the first time, they'd have thought I really did know what I was doing!

Later, feeling pretty proud of myself I came back to this spot to do it again. Man, I couldn't get up that thing to save my soul! Phillip, MCE/Jason's father was shouting; "Bump it! Bump it!" But it wasn't to be...I had to suck it up and back down. Talk about embarrassing! and there was a few dozen onlookers to boot...

RaggedOleMan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-14-2010, 02:28 AM   #2
RaggedOleMan
2005 TJ Wrangler 

That's that d35/Superior CCE again...

No sweat!

Had to go back down, so I could come up this thing again! Never did this kind of wheelin' before. Man, I never thought it would be so much fun! I'm not geared for this stuff @ 307...well, not YET anyway!

This guy was in a fix...didn't envy him! Of course, after some rock climbing seat time, who knows, eh?

He finally made it. He went around to the right and emerged "relatively" unscathed. Well, lets just say he could drive it home, but it wasn't as pretty going as it was coming...

Another 1st for me was this hill climb at Moon Rocks. I followed MCE Mike/WAC's lead...

It doesn't look as difficult from these pictures, as I experienced it. It was a little intimidating the first time up.

I got 3-4 feet of air as I crested this last little wall. I was learning to "bump" it a bit, and well, I bumped it a bit much...looked cool, though! Here's a link to the video of that last wall climb;

Naches 09-11-10 :: Climb6.mp4 video by PepCsLJ2 - Photobucket
In the video above, note how that d35 kicked the Jeep up and over...

Unread 09-14-2010, 02:53 AM   #3
RaggedOleMan
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Finally, that front bumper of mine looks like crap. It's taken the hits hasn't it? Looks like I drive by braille! Well, a nice new, Savvy front bumper isn't in the budget, so I accepted the offer of a free, stock Tj bumper from Scott/SnoqualmieTj, and he was kind enough to bring it along with him that day. Rich, PepCsLj helped out but stuffing it in is Lj for the day. On Sunday, I made a stubby out of it and put my Kc's back on it.

(Above/BEFORE)

Below is a stock bumper, stub-a-tized. What can I say, it fit the budget and looks a helluva lot better than the other one, eh?
img_0115-8x6.jpg   img_0116-8x6.jpg  
Unread 09-14-2010, 10:45 PM   #4
yelset

1999 TJ Wrangler 

ROM,

Nice pictures, and it looks like alot of fun. I do need to go there. With a son a junior at CWU, it seems like a no brainer to get up there. A Friday in October, maybe??? Something to think about.
yelset is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-15-2010, 10:34 AM   #5
RaggedOleMan
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by yelset View Post
ROM,

Nice pictures, and it looks like alot of fun. I do need to go there. With a son a junior at CWU, it seems like a no brainer to get up there. A Friday in October, maybe??? Something to think about.
Absolutely! The most difficult trails out there really deserve the rating in the wet months. The only one where clearance issues can ruin a guys day is the Lilly Pond Trail. Other than that, the Kaner Trail contains several hill climbs, some of which are quite long and intimidating. And in the wet seasons it can be a winch fest. So, for your first trip out there let's see if we can luck out and pick a dry day!
Unread 09-15-2010, 03:54 PM   #6
WAC_Jeeper

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaggedOleMan View Post

Thanks for posting the pics!

This is just as ROM almost ran me over . What the picture doesn't show is about .5 - 1 second earlier, the passenger tire was dangling in the air as the front of the Jeep took a sudden dive to the driver's side. John stayed on the gas and just as quick as it all turned tippy, the driver's side front tire caught traction which stopped the front end coming around and pulled the remaining rear tire up the ledge. It all happened very quickly and was spectacular, like something you'd see on a rock racing video.

I guess the age old saying applies here: "when in doubt, throttle out".

MikeH good to see you on this board.

97 TJ, MCE fenders and flares, heavily used and reliable on 35's.
WAC_Jeeper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-16-2010, 11:51 AM   #7
Ziptie
1998 TJ Wrangler 

I am up for a trip… I do want to try some other lines on the rocks.

Was a great time

[B]Modern Classic Enterprises, LLC[/B]
Home of the flexible "FLATTY FENDERS"
[url]http://modernclassicenterprises.com/[/url]
Ziptie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-16-2010, 07:36 PM   #8
RaggedOleMan
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Man, you were fearless Jason! At my tender age, and lack of hard rock experience...I think I'd need a full pack of Depends on board!

We're headed to the Operation Shore Patrol (I think that's what it's called) this weekend/Saturday Sept 18 @ Westport, WA. But, the following weekend @ the rocks could work for us, if your schedule permits.
Unread 09-05-2011, 03:51 PM   #9
jeepyj13
1993 YJ Wrangler 

looks fun! yep im sold. im getting a 27 sp. superior cce for my 35 soon. "the little axle that could"
Unread 09-17-2011, 06:41 AM   #10
tahoe wheelers

I wouldnt get overly to impressed with your dana 35 just yet. Before you know it one of those rear tires and axles will pass you and your jeep up! A friend of mine ran that same axle set up with 37's on the rubicon for quite a few years and got lucky. But ive seen rigs with smaller tires waste those c clip axles.

Nice pics.
1985 cj 7. 360 V8, 35X12.50 BFG's sitting on Crager 15X8 rims, summer brothers axle rear, Yukon axles up front, lock rite lockers front and rear, 5" of lift, body armor, six point roll cage, 8000lb warn winch, 4.56 yukon gears front and rear, t-18, dana 300. And much more on the way.

www.therockgods.com
www.reno4x4.com
tahoe wheelers is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-17-2011, 09:44 PM   #11
RaggedOleMan
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tahoe wheelers View Post
I wouldnt get overly to impressed with your dana 35 just yet. Before you know it one of those rear tires and axles will pass you and your jeep up! A friend of mine ran that same axle set up with 37's on the rubicon for quite a few years and got lucky. But ive seen rigs with smaller tires waste those c clip axles.

Nice pics.
The Superior CCE is a c-clip eliminator...his axles won't pass him up As far as running 37's on your friends d35...he must have some good karma, eh?
Unread 09-17-2011, 11:06 PM   #12
tahoe wheelers

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaggedOleMan View Post
The Superior CCE is a c-clip eliminator...his axles won't pass him up As far as running 37's on your friends d35...he must have some good karma, eh?
Oh daa I should of know that lol. Ya cant believe that axle stayed together on his rig. And he was rocking a dana 30 front with all the aftermarket parts. He's moved on know and is finishing his build with a 5.3 chevy v8, dana 60's and 40" tires. Makes me jealous. Oh well.
1985 cj 7. 360 V8, 35X12.50 BFG's sitting on Crager 15X8 rims, summer brothers axle rear, Yukon axles up front, lock rite lockers front and rear, 5" of lift, body armor, six point roll cage, 8000lb warn winch, 4.56 yukon gears front and rear, t-18, dana 300. And much more on the way.

www.therockgods.com
www.reno4x4.com
tahoe wheelers is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-17-2011, 11:12 PM   #13
Jeffro06
October 2012 TJOTM

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Very nice.

I hate Illinois.

Moab Trails I've done: Onion Creek, Long Canyon, Dome Plateau, Top of The World (2), Fins-N-Things (2), Poison Spider,
Golden Spike, Gold Bar Rim, Hell's Revenge (2), Baby Lion Back, Cliff Hanger, Moab Rim, Kane Creek Canyon, Strike Ravine

Shortcuts to key points in my build: MTRk's OME 2" HD Lift Antirock Skidrow steering box & radiator skids LoD rear bumper
Rokmen Mercenary bumper w/Superwinch Rokmen sliders Skidrow engine skid Rampage Top CB set up
Custom trunk Rokmen 1" Billet spacers JJ track bar Rokmen Adjustable Control Arms Currectlync Steering
Rokmen Trail Corners Metalcloak Overlines Kentrol Hood Latches JK Turn Signals Xenon 4" Flat Flares Hood Decal Duratracs
Derale Tranny Cooler DieHard Factor 55 Thimble Ten Factory Front Chromo Shafts

Get your build sheet here.
Jeffro06 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-11-2011, 10:36 AM   #14
jeepyj13
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tahoe wheelers View Post

Nice pics.
oh knw that the 35 isnt the strongest axle out of the bunch. yep granted im running 33s on that stock axle now. my yj is my DD for now until nxt summer(well i hope) but when i saw the pics of him pulling a rubi up a steep incline on that axle and the vids he posted about the hill climbs that impressed me seeing most bash that axle like its the plague of jeeps. i hardly go offroad cause yes ive read all over the forum the more i offroad the worse it will become but thats with everything. when i do though its mostly mudding and small hill climbs nothing big. i will prob buy this CCE 27sp kit from superior and prob their truss, that will allow the compromise of 33s and breakage. yeah im throwing money away which what most will say but hey i just want to be that guy.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.