Moab & Colorado Jeepin' Trip - Page 4 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Trail Reports & Pictures > Moab & Colorado Jeepin' Trip

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectSavvy Aluminum Gas Tank Skid

Unread 09-07-2009, 11:38 AM   #46
NorthwestYJ
1994 YJ Wrangler 

awesome report. This has been one of my farvorites

NorthwestYJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-25-2009, 09:34 PM   #47
03blackfx4

Nice trip. I used to go out west every year with my Dad. Man was it fun, at 15 I really didn't appreciate it like I do now. Looks like a good time. I can't wait to head out there again.

Looks like it wasn't a bad price either. Tent camping keeps the bills down for sure.
03blackfx4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-07-2009, 12:13 AM   #48
aircruiser
1996 XJ Cherokee 

just plain awesome man, moab is one of the places to wheel on my bucket list. thanks for sharing bro
Unread 10-07-2009, 06:06 PM   #49
Canfourjeep
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Colorado

I spent the week of Sept 20th 2009 around Ouray and Silverton. The weather was beautiful and only on the highest peaks was a dusting of snow. We rented a 4 door trail rated Wrangler with a 3.8 engine and it was gutless. On the highway between Ouray and Silverton we had to keep it in second gear just to get 40 miles per hour. On the trails we used mostly low range and first or second gear. The country was beautiful and we did not even need a coat on the highest passes. Since it was a rented jeep we could not go on Black Bear but we did most of the others. Had a great time.
Canfourjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-07-2009, 06:08 PM   #50
yoda13
Force Wheeler

2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canfourjeep View Post
I spent the week of Sept 20th 2009 around Ouray and Silverton. The weather was beautiful and only on the highest peaks was a dusting of snow. We rented a 4 door trail rated Wrangler with a 3.8 engine and it was gutless. On the highway between Ouray and Silverton we had to keep it in second gear just to get 40 miles per hour. On the trails we used mostly low range and first or second gear. The country was beautiful and we did not even need a coat on the highest passes. Since it was a rented jeep we could not go on Black Bear but we did most of the others. Had a great time.
must not have been running right....I had no problem maintaing speed this summer when I was up there...I do have a two door though...
2007 White Jeep Wrangler X-auto, black freedom top, 15x8 Pro Comp Rock Crawlers, 33x12.5x15 BFG KM2s, Superchips Flashpaq, 2" OME Spring Lift, Bilsteins, Rusty's Adjustable front and rear trac-bar, JKS Quicker Disconnects, Rusty's adjustable lower control arms (front and rear), PolyPerformance adjustable upper control arms (front and rear), OEM Rubicon Rock Rails, Finishlinewest Stonehenge Series rear bumper, Smittybuilt winch, Body Armor Front High Clearance Bumper w/ KC Highlights mounted, Roadmaster towbar, Valley 2" receiver hitch, Skid Row Engine Transmission skid, sPod switching system, KC Highlights windshield mounted lights, Delta replacement non-quadbar xenon headlamps, and Bestop saddlebags-Member of the United Four Wheel Drive Association and Blue Ribbon Coalition, †John 3:16†

RIP Mrs. yoda13... My life is better for having had you in it and you made me a better man...I can't wait to see you again...I love you always and forever, and for all eternity

If you want to help the sport of off-roading, and protect your right to do so, please visit the Envirobeat
forum...

yoda13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-07-2009, 06:49 PM   #51
Canfourjeep
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Colorado

It was a 2009 model 4 door wrangler so it was running good. The four door is just too heavy for the 3.8 engine in the mountains.
Canfourjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-08-2009, 11:31 AM   #52
wil3284
1993 YJ Wrangler 

i am really jealous. i have been trying to get my wife to go out with me but she wont. she thinks my jeep is hideous and doesnt like to get dirty. well im going to japan for 3 years because she wanted my to apply for orders there and i got them when i didnt want too. so when we get back i am making her go on this trip. looks like an amazing place to wheel, ride, and camp. thanks for all of the good footage.

You tube vid of my wrangler finally running
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bNA8LeAjalk
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zLlqF71WLXw
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-RNu9lTwKxE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mzq2FBCs4qU

need reptiles?
www.razorsharpreptiles.com

www.militaryjeepers.com
wil3284 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-25-2009, 10:45 AM   #53
grandpapy
1995 ZJ 

soo jealous right now!!!
Unread 11-11-2009, 08:46 PM   #54
h2ojeep
1978 CJ7 

UTMike
When I looked through your report and photos, I know I recognized something.

Look familiar?

Snow is missing, I took the photo on Aug 8th. (something like 5 or 6 weeks aftr you). I felt the way the clouds made the color of Sunshine Peak so unusual and very majestic.
Photo location, N37D, 56.63 M by W107D 28.3M.

WE have great shots!!
h2ojeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-19-2009, 10:06 PM   #55
Firedog13
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by UTmike View Post
........on the way home going South on 550 from Ouray towards Durango there's several mountain passes and I could smell the brakes getting nasty.
I actually lost function of my brakes on this stretch of road. I was really thinking about steering the truck into the mountain to slow us down, as the brakes weren't doing much for us. Lucky for us a runaway-ramp appeared and we utilized it. By then there was zero brake function. They were smoking like a freight train when we finally stopped. Took about two hours for them to cool off. Very scary to say the least. Nothing quite like barrelling down a mountain on a winding road, gaining speed rapidly, and losing the brakes. Not a good combo.
Needless to say, there will be a brake upgrade on the truck for next year (assuming I don't have a new one by then ).
Unread 12-05-2009, 12:45 PM   #56
bronco2guy
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Sweet pics, I'm from Linn, MO and we just did very simialer trip with my explorer and rzr, hualed them to Moab started there then went on to Ouray and did black bear, imogene and alot of others in a big group. If ur planning on going again, let me know my wife and I loved it and are going to go again, also I could prolly haukl 2 rigs out there on our gooseneck.

Since you didnt have any of black bear going down here are a few

bronco2guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-17-2011, 03:10 AM   #57
TxRubiGrl
2007 JK Wrangler 

Thats badass! I wanna go!

United States Coast Guard
TxRubiGrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-17-2011, 10:51 AM   #58
IslandTJ
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Location: where I wheel: N 45º 36.663' W 123º 20.935', Oregon
I must have missed this post...great pics .

Nice contrast between the hot and cold.
1998 TJ Moss [COLOR=darkgreen][B][SIZE=3]Green[/SIZE][/B][/COLOR] Sahara w/ numerous scratches & dents whose playground is on a tropical island that's 33 miles long and 4-12 miles wide, in year-round 82 degree weather.

[Edit] "Now jeepin in Oregon" [/Edit]
IslandTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-20-2011, 11:30 PM   #59
CBlakeNS

Great report and pics
CBlakeNS is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.