Moab & Colorado Jeepin' Trip - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Trail Reports & Pictures > Moab & Colorado Jeepin' Trip

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineOld Man Emu WK Lift - Black Friday Special!!The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!

Unread 07-12-2009, 04:53 PM   #1
UTmike
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Moab & Colorado Jeepin' Trip

My girlfriend and I spent 11 days offroading in Moab and Colorado in the San Juan Mountains outside of Ouray. We arrived in Moab in the afternoon and visited Arches N.P. and then took the Long Canyon trail back into town.

Here's a couple videos highlighting the Moab and Colorado parts of the trip.
[YT]<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/zOxB3eJ4xJw&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/zOxB3eJ4xJw&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>[/YT]

[YT]<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/ny2nMN5vwvA&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/ny2nMN5vwvA&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>[/YT]

Inside an Arch at Arches National Park
1file0052.jpg

Checking out an overlook on the way to Long Canyon
1file0076.jpg

The view from the Long Canyon Trail
1file0090.jpg

Long Canyon Trail
1cimg3224.jpg

1file0098.jpg

4.5" RE SF Lift, 1" BL, 35" Cooper Discoverer STT, Lockrite Locker, 8.8 Rear, AA SYE, Tom Woods DS, Sliders, Skids, Bumpers, Rear Stinger, RockCrusher Diff Covers, 8000# Winch, Herc'd Tub, Homemade Deck Cover, On Board Misting System and Faucet
UTmike is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-12-2009, 05:12 PM   #2
UTmike
2002 TJ Wrangler 

The next day we started off with Fins & Things and then moved on to Hell's Revenge. Fins & Things was a good warmup trail and then Hell's Revenge was a blast. It had lots of amazing slick rock to play on, what a blast!

Getting ready to head up a steap slick rock fin on Fins & Things
1cimg3286.jpg

Another ledge on Fins
2file0011.jpg

Lots of slick rock on Hell's Revenge
2file0021.jpg

The overlook on Hell's Revenge
2file0033.jpg

Towards the end of Hell's Revenge
2file0073.jpg
4.5" RE SF Lift, 1" BL, 35" Cooper Discoverer STT, Lockrite Locker, 8.8 Rear, AA SYE, Tom Woods DS, Sliders, Skids, Bumpers, Rear Stinger, RockCrusher Diff Covers, 8000# Winch, Herc'd Tub, Homemade Deck Cover, On Board Misting System and Faucet
Unread 07-12-2009, 05:14 PM   #3
Polecat
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Great pics. I did Fins and Long Canyon last summer. Hells Revenge is on my list if I ever get back.
Unread 07-12-2009, 05:25 PM   #4
UTmike
2002 TJ Wrangler 

The following day we met up with fellow JeepForum member Cliff333 to tackle Cliffhanger which we found to be terribly under rated by the Well's book. I found Cliffhanger to be just as challenging as Golden Spike, and thought Hell's Revenge was nowhere near as difficult as Cliffhanger even though Well's rates it as more difficult. So be prepared for a challenge if you've never been on it before.

Here's the famous 4ft ledge on the edge of the 400 ft cliff
2.jpg

More Cliffhanger
2cimg3488.jpg

On Cliffhanger with Behind the Rocks in the background
2cimg3507.jpg

2file0101.jpg

We also heard that the Moab Brewery was something we had to try so we picked up a couple growlers to take back to camp everynight. The wheat beer was my favorite!
1file0079.jpg
Unread 07-12-2009, 05:37 PM   #5
UTmike
2002 TJ Wrangler 

After Cliffhanger we were having some driveline vibrations. It ended up being the transmission mount so we had to get that swapped out. Luckily for me my girl also has a Jeep and loves to wrench
3cimg3565.jpg
3cimg3571.jpg

As a sort of test drive we took the Jeep out on the Top of the World that afternoon.
3file0099_stitch.jpg
3file0114.jpg

That night some kids from one of the RVs at the camp we were at started a fire behind a trailer and burnt down an entire tree. My girlfriend and I grabbed some shovels and put it out. The owner let us stay for free the entire week for doing so!!
3cimg3585.jpg
Unread 07-12-2009, 05:39 PM   #6
spnkr94
1995 ZJ 

wish I lived out west No great scenery, or any dry stuff here in NY. All mud and rain all the time. Awesome pics.
spnkr94 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-12-2009, 05:48 PM   #7
UTmike
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Now that the Jeep was back to 100% we were ready to tackle the trifecta of Poison Spider Mesa, Golden Spike, and Gold Bar Rim. These trails were the crux of the trip and I was stoked we were able to fix the driveline vibrations so we could take a shot at them.
5file0216.jpg

View from one of the Golden Spike overlooks
5cimg3653.jpg

The Golden Crack. My most anticipated point of the trip!
5cimg3685.jpg

The Golden Staircase
5file0192.jpg

The Body Snatcher
5file0198.jpg
Unread 07-12-2009, 05:58 PM   #8
UTmike
2002 TJ Wrangler 

More Golden Spike
5file0157.jpg

5cimg3698.jpg

Above Gold Bar Rim
5cimg3713.jpg

After 9 hours on these trails we were finally almost back to asphault. As we picked up speed on the flat gravel trail we noticed a nocking sound. After some investigation we found the passenger side axle ujoint had thrown a cap
5file0226.jpg

By this time we were both sick of the sun and totally exhausted but we dug into it
5file0229.jpg

All in all I'd say it was very successful. 1 busted ujoint after all that wheeling is very acceptable in my book! The Golden Spike Trail is definitely my favorite from the entire trip as well.

Last edited by UTmike; 07-12-2009 at 07:29 PM..
Unread 07-12-2009, 06:03 PM   #9
bsutton
1983 CJ7 

pics

Awesome Pics man...

thanks for sharing...

would love to get out there someday!!
bsutton is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-12-2009, 06:17 PM   #10
UTmike
2002 TJ Wrangler 

After the trifecta run we were ready to move onto the Colorado leg of our trip. It was only a short 3 hour drive over the La Sal mountains and a bit more to get to Ouray. We stayed at Orvis Hot Springs a couple miles north of Ouray. This place is a clothing optional hot springs and was amazing! http://www.orvishotsprings.com/ I'd recommend it to anyone staying in the area if you're not too shy and don't mind a fairly hippie crowd lol.

This is the view from the parking lot at the hot spring and our camp there. Sorry, but I couldn't take any pictures inside obviously
6file0409.jpg

The next morning we set out to tackle Black Bear Pass, Corkscrew Gulch, Hurricane Pass, and Cinnamon Pass. The weather wasn't on our side and it rained on and off the entire day

Black Bear Pass. The switchbacks on the Telluride side weren't plowed through yet so we just went up to the pass and back down. Only an hour round trip so not so far out of the way.
6cimg3761.jpg

Heading down Black Bear
6cimg3778.jpg

After heading up Corkscrew Gulch and Hurricane Pass, this is the view of Como Lake we got coming down Hurricane Pass
6cimg3814.jpg

In between Hurricane and California Passes we got a look at the trail head to Poughkeepsie Gulch, obviously still snowed in. We were hoping to get another shot at The Wall on Poughkeepsie since last year we had to winch up it, but we'll save that for another year!
6cimg3817.jpg
Unread 07-12-2009, 06:30 PM   #11
UTmike
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Here's Como Lake from ontop of California Pass
6file0278.jpg

The Jeep ontop of California Pass
6cimg3823.jpg

The views from Anamas Forks, between California Pass and Cinammon Pass
6cimg3845.jpg

After crossing Cinammon Pass we headed into Lake City for a late lunch. Here's the Jeep in front of what I think is Sunshine Peak on the way into the city
6cimg3861.jpg

After hanging out and eating in Lake City we headed out on the Engineer Pass road. We took the turn off up Nellie Creek and followed the creek up to about 11,500 ft to camp at the base of Uncompahgre Peak so we could attempt to climb it the next morning. Here's a view from our camp
6file0311.jpg
Unread 07-12-2009, 06:30 PM   #12
Canfourjeep
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Trip

My son and I are going to Colorado sometime in September. Hope to be there a week Jeeping. We are going to rent a Rubicon. Sounds like fun.
Canfourjeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-12-2009, 06:39 PM   #13
UTmike
2002 TJ Wrangler 

At 6:15 the next morning our camp was packed and we were headed up the mountain. Now we're not mountain climbers by any means and had only climbed one other peak which was Mt. Sneffels that we climbed last year in CO. But we had been in Colorado for one day and were totally unacclimated so this was tough!
6cimg3933.jpg

Looking back down towards our camp which was in that valley
6file0322.jpg

We saw 8 deer ontop of the ridge above us checking us out
6file0326.jpg

Heading up
6file0329.jpg
6file0337.jpg
Unread 07-12-2009, 06:51 PM   #14
UTmike
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Getting closer to the top
6file0343.jpg
6file0349.jpg

The scramble towards the top
6file0357.jpg

Looking down from the top of the scramble
6file0358.jpg
6file0359.jpg
Unread 07-12-2009, 06:59 PM   #15
UTmike
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Ontop of Uncompahgre Peak, 14,309ft, 6th tallest mountain in Colorado
6file0378.jpg

View from the top
6file0372_stitch.jpg

View from the top of the 1,000ft shear cliff on the North face of the mountain
6file0367_stitch.jpg

More views
6file0375.jpg

My friend on the climb down. This marmot came right up to my feet and was begging for food or something???
6file0381.jpg

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.