July 4th Weekend near Big Bend - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Trail Reports & Pictures > July 4th Weekend near Big Bend

Ring & Pinion's, Lockers, 4340 Axles, Install Kits, BaRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 07-04-2011, 06:39 PM   #1
h2ojeep
1978 CJ7 

July 4th Weekend near Big Bend

A jeepin buddy (Biotex) called and said that he is ready for a field test for his project/build and had a few days to make it happen. It is a CJ10, only about 3500 ever made.

I loaded up and in a few hours met him south of Alpine, Tx on our way to Terlingua ranch area and Aqua Frio Creek; both just north of Big Bend.

Typically, it is very very hot in the summer but we had a reprieve with 95 degree highs and some rain forecast.

Most of the area is private land and permission needed to enter, however a lot of the county roads offer a challenge. Brewster county is the largest county in Texas and larger than Rhode Island. Late into the day, unloaded at base camp then make way to a creek to put the CJ 10 into its paces.

At sunrise, we get up to find evidence of a sprinkle of rain at base camp.

Headed for Aqua Frio, little did we know that there had been a “gully washer” and we encounter slick roads. The land is so dry that when it rains, it becomes very slick and traction is a challenge. Click on the image for the video.

Soon on to creeks where the gravel gives good traction and a chance to wash off some of the caked on mud.

Biotex made this hybrid from a diesel powered CJ 10 (an aircraft tug), Waggener, and a Wrangler. Makes for a good rock crawling trail rig.

Along the way, there is an encounter with some of the local residents.

For most of the morning we slip and slide, and make challenging creek crossings, then on to lunch at Study Butte (pronounced “stewdy buwt”) which is a cross road in the desert leading to Big Bend National park or to Terlingua. With mud not a common sight, much attention is given at the lunch spot.

This being the first run out, Biotex sees a need for fender flares while removing large chucks of mud. (not including what he dug out of his clothes.

Heading back to base camp via the long way through high country.

As noted earlier, much of the land is private and there are many locked gates and the only access is with permission and gate combos.

On the way back, a quick stop at a shady road side spot to stretch legs.

Link to Biotex's build thread:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/new-cj10-project-1155836/

Last edited by h2ojeep; 07-04-2011 at 07:17 PM.. Reason: to add link
h2ojeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-05-2011, 02:45 PM   #2
Gymguyjeep
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Rain and mud in the Big Bend area is a once in a lifetime experience. I have yet to experience it. Looked like an interesting trip. I have never seen a CJ10 wheeling in the dirt before. It looks like a stout trail vehicle. It must be heavy if it was made to tow aircraft. I assume that he took all the ballast out of the back.

1993 XJ Cherokee - 3" Lift, 31" tires
Previous Jeeps - 1981 CJ-5, 1985 CJ-7
Gymguyjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-05-2011, 09:13 PM   #3
h2ojeep
1978 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gymguyjeep View Post
Rain and mud in the Big Bend area is a once in a lifetime experience. I have yet to experience it. Looked like an interesting trip. I have never seen a CJ10 wheeling in the dirt before. It looks like a stout trail vehicle. It must be heavy if it was made to tow aircraft. I assume that he took all the ballast out of the back.
Yes, it was nice not to have all the dust (at least the day it rained).

Biotex actually acquired two incomplete cj10s and I think all the ballast was already gone. Oddly, they were not made with front wheel drive, but do have a transfer case (for the crawl ratio). And have a very wide track in the rear, that is all gone now.
h2ojeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-09-2011, 06:57 AM   #4
grogie
M-F: Cell Block #4533

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Great pictures, and it looked like a fun place to explore. Cool CJ too!

Red Jeep Club #345
2006 TJ Sport
2004 KJ Limited
2013 Off-Road Trailer

grogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-07-2011, 05:09 PM   #5
h2ogun
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Tag
h2ogun is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-08-2011, 03:35 PM   #6
ThrillSeeker
1998 ZJ 

Nice pics...

Have to ask... where is the spare for the CJ? Isn't that just asking for a flat?
I know there was another Jeep along, but a flat on the CJ could have easily ruined you and your buddies day...
Unread 08-08-2011, 04:35 PM   #7
h2ogun
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThrillSeeker View Post
Nice pics...

Have to ask... where is the spare for the CJ? Isn't that just asking for a flat?
I know there was another Jeep along, but a flat on the CJ could have easily ruined you and your buddies day...
YEP! very astute.

It was a fast trip out to see how things were working. Biotex and I (and others) just got back from Colorado and he did have a spare, not sure about the jack (chuckle). a long term mount is a WIP along with some other finer tuning. he has it coming along nicely, It was 4 (or more) different vehicles only a few months ago.

Link to our Colorado trip.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f58/o...orado-1250316/
h2ogun is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-08-2011, 04:51 PM   #8
BioTex
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThrillSeeker View Post
Nice pics...

I do have a spare, but did not take it along on that trip. Our ranch was close by, so it wouldn't have been a disaster if I had a flat. I'm a bit worried about mounting a 35" tire onto the stock carrier, so I leave it in the bed mostely. I have the material to make a swing out bumper, but have not started it yet.
06' TJ Rubicon, 4" R.C. springs, BFG/AT 35s M.C. 6" fenders, rockers and surrounds, Currie front & rear adj. tracbars, tattons DC rear shaft, adj. upper - lower CA's. Bilstein 5100's
YJ Buggy Build Current project. Stroker/FI ?
1990 MJ Comanche 4.0L AX15/np231
BioTex is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-17-2011, 02:34 PM   #9
yoda13
Force Wheeler

2007 JK Wrangler 

Looks like a great and fun trip...I love that area
2007 White Jeep Wrangler X-auto, black freedom top, 15x8 Pro Comp Rock Crawlers, 33x12.5x15 BFG KM2s, Superchips Flashpaq, 2" OME Spring Lift, Bilsteins, Rusty's Adjustable front and rear trac-bar, JKS Quicker Disconnects, Rusty's adjustable lower control arms (front and rear), PolyPerformance adjustable upper control arms (front and rear), OEM Rubicon Rock Rails, Finishlinewest Stonehenge Series rear bumper, Smittybuilt winch, Body Armor Front High Clearance Bumper w/ KC Highlights mounted, Roadmaster towbar, Valley 2" receiver hitch, Skid Row Engine Transmission skid, sPod switching system, KC Highlights windshield mounted lights, Delta replacement non-quadbar xenon headlamps, and Bestop saddlebags-Member of the United Four Wheel Drive Association and Blue Ribbon Coalition, †John 3:16†

RIP Mrs. yoda13... My life is better for having had you in it and you made me a better man...I can't wait to see you again...I love you always and forever, and for all eternity

If you want to help the sport of off-roading, and protect your right to do so, please visit the Envirobeat
forum...

yoda13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-19-2011, 05:37 PM   #10
hrt4me
1991 YJ Wrangler 

beautiful country in west Texas
hrt4me is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.