JGW Redbird 9-6/7 2008 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Trail Reports & Pictures > JGW Redbird 9-6/7 2008

JK Vent Covers - NalinMFGRing & Pinion's, Lockers, 4340 Axles, Install Kits, BaTJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFG

Unread 09-09-2008, 05:03 PM   #1
aaronc88
1993 YJ Wrangler 

JGW Redbird 9-6/7 2008

Since Jeffro 95 was no on this run I guess i get to do the trail report!!!

Well my trip started From Bridgeview, IL at about 3pm friday evening.
Ran into a bit of trafic in the begining but clared up when I got a bit into US41.
I Pulled into Dugger, IN about 8:30 Indiana time. I wasnt sure what camp gorund we were staying at and it was pretty dark out. I found out that there are 3 campgrounds in the Green Sullivan State Forest. I didnt't feel like setting up camp in the dark so I spent the night in the Jeep.

SATURDAY
Waited around till 11 to see if anyone else was going to show up. At 11 I decided I traveled all this way i better at least take a look at the park. So I started on an easy trail alone with all my gear still in my Jeep. After sliding on an off cambr hill I decided to turn around and go back.

On my way back I Found 3 other vehicles stoped on the trail. They were a group of friends and fammily from Indy. They were tring to fix a trans cooler electrical problem. I ended up taging along with them the rest of the weekend and we all had a good time.

Now lets get to some pics!

This is Chris and his Toyota.

This is the other Chris and his highly modded Cherokee.

And this is Craig and his stock suspension TJ also traveling with him his gf Ashley.

The day went well no breakages other the the faulty trans cooler fan and. A couple of the others got stuck once or twice and we were off to camp. We wheeled till 4:59 PM Sat and headed back to set up camp.

*chris getting the Toyota Stuck in a bit of really soft mud.

SUNDAY

We got to the park around 11am.
We started the day on trail 21 with many tight turns steep climbs and descents.

We pressed on, with very out anyone getting stuck throughout the first part of the day.

We then hoped onto what i belive was trail 2. At this time I decided that this would be the las t trail i would run for the day becuase I wanted to get back to camp and pack up and drive the 4.5 hour drive back home.

Well this trail started out real good and then turned into a bit of a mess.

To be Cont'd on next post

jeep
aaronc88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-09-2008, 05:30 PM   #2
aaronc88
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Ashley was nice enough to grab my camera for a sec and get a couple pics of me.

Day was going good until we hit one spot in the trail. Craig and his TJ got a lil dent on the hood, the Toyota crushed a bit of his bed and smashed his rocker so that his driver door would not open. I made it through untouched and well Chirs and his Cherokee, well he did this ...

Luckily he had the exocage and the tree stoped them from roling more and Chirs and his passengers were belted in. No one was hurt and we got the Jeep fliped back over thanks to HF 10,000 LB winch Also Craigs whinch which helped get it most the way back over before it burned up.
We drained all the cilinders and put the back window back in. By the tiem we were ready to press on it was 530 and the park was closed. So we tryed to figure the quikest way out and ended up here.

We got eveyone unstuck and got the heck outta there. It was about 7:30 by the time we finaly reached the street.

I think everyone was just glad to get back outta there for the day. It was an adventure filled trip and everyone had fun. We had no breakeges at the park and no one injured.
I packed up camp and left dugger aroun 8pm. About 15 min into my journey home i get a screching from my clutch. I stop to pull over to find the bolt that holds the clutch fluid line aginst the tanny was loose and that i was missing a bolt that connected the tranny to the engine. With no spare 7/16-20 bolts around I pressed on home with only pushing in the clutch 4 times because of some stopkilights. I got home at 11:15 and man was I glad that I made it home. When i got out and walked to the back I found this.

It seems that I Backed into a tree preety hard and craked the 1" bar in the hinge and the vibrations on the ride home finshed it off.

Mon I rode my bike to work and got home and fixed the missing bolt issue and took off the tire.
I had no major Mechanical Issues and I am back up running I just gotta figure out what I am going to do about the hinge for the tire carrier still. But still not a big problem.

I would liketo Thank Chris, Chris, Craig, and Asheley for letting me tag along with them for the weekend.
Also If in redbird stop at R+S cafe+pizza for soem good ol breakfast

Red bird was great not alot of rocks and not alot of deep ruts to get stuck in. There is alot of steep hills and offcambr areas. Body damage is likely (I didn't get any this time) but this place is so cool it is worth it.

All of my pics can be found here
http://s175.photobucket.com/albums/w...onc88/redbird/

jeep
Unread 09-09-2008, 05:37 PM   #3
IGotADisneyJeep
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Awesome write up and looks like you guys and gals had a blast.
Glad everyone got home safely and we all wish we could have joined this run.
Great Job

Last edited by IGotADisneyJeep; 09-09-2008 at 06:15 PM..
IGotADisneyJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-09-2008, 06:55 PM   #4
Jeffro06
October 2012 TJOTM

2006 TJ Wrangler 

I checked out your photobucket gallery, looks like a pretty cool place. I'd have to say that's a 3-day weekend rrip for me. Two travel days and a wheeling day.

I'll ask the obvious, what happened to the other club members? Did they make it down?

You're lucky the spare didnt take a trip down the highway on you...yikes!

Moab Trails I've done: Onion Creek, Long Canyon, Dome Plateau, Top of The World (2), Fins-N-Things (2), Poison Spider,
Golden Spike, Gold Bar Rim, Hell's Revenge (2), Baby Lion Back, Cliff Hanger, Moab Rim, Kane Creek Canyon, Strike Ravine

Shortcuts to key points in my build: MTRk's OME 2" HD Lift Antirock Skidrow steering box & radiator skids LoD rear bumper
Rokmen Mercenary bumper w/Superwinch Rokmen sliders Skidrow engine skid Rampage Top CB set up
Custom trunk Rokmen 1" Billet spacers JJ track bar Rokmen Adjustable Control Arms Currectlync Steering
Rokmen Trail Corners Metalcloak Overlines Kentrol Hood Latches JK Turn Signals Xenon 4" Flat Flares Hood Decal Duratracs
Derale Tranny Cooler DieHard Factor 55 Thimble Ten Factory Front Chromo Shafts

Get your build sheet here.
Jeffro06 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-09-2008, 07:01 PM   #5
aaronc88
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffro95 View Post
I checked out your photobucket gallery, looks like a pretty cool place. I'd have to say that's a 3-day weekend rrip for me. Two travel days and a wheeling day.

I'll ask the obvious, what happened to the other club members? Did they make it down?

You're lucky the spare didnt take a trip down the highway on you...yikes!
Nope No other club members.

And yes I am lucky about the spare it ended up being held on by a piece of 3/16" and conected by a 1/2-13 bolt.

jeep
Unread 09-09-2008, 11:42 PM   #6
chris87xj
Jeepaholic

1987 XJ Cherokee 

wassup aaron. good to have you down for some indiana offroading. we enjoyed your company.
awesome trip write up here, thx. glad you made it home okay. holycow re: that spare. we made a roadside repair stop for electricals on the way home and got in about 01:30 indy time.
your jeep impressed us, thanks for the show. ...and double thanks for the use of that 10k lb winch in getting xj Jeepers back on her feet, nice work. i've got a bunch of pics of you and the '93yj in action in redbird. i'll post or email soon as i get a chance. fantastic trip, excellent weather, and fine company. alls well that ends well. take care my friend. - chris
chris87xj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-10-2008, 06:59 AM   #7
TheEddie

Thanks for the report Aaron! Nicely done.

Past Jeeps: 01 TJ, 97 TJ, 98 XJ, 2000 WJ
TheEddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-10-2008, 08:43 AM   #8
Northsidejeepin
2008 JK Wrangler 

So nobody from JGW made it there, not even Fred? Man Aaron,I am sorry I could not make it, but my jeep was out of commission for 4 days and I had no way of getting it out. Either way, thanks for the report, and we hope to see you at the badlands in late september.

Phil

Last edited by Northsidejeepin; 09-10-2008 at 01:36 PM..
Northsidejeepin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-15-2008, 09:51 AM   #9
kadetklapp
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Ah yes, Dugger. My first off-road excursion occured there in one of the many still active coal mines West of there. Not Redbird, but worse. There are county roads that run through active mines and you have to be careful to get hit by a coal slug on those portable/temporary rail lines.

My 2000 Blazer and I went wheeling on a flooded county road in October of 03 to go shooting at a public shooting range back that way.

Lots of fun, hope to take my XJ down that way. I'm always going to Vincennes and drive right by the turn-off.

2008 "Jeep" Patriot <-----Crap.
kadetklapp is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.