Jeeps Going Wild / IndyORV @ Winter Fest 03/05/11 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Trail Reports & Pictures > Jeeps Going Wild / IndyORV @ Winter Fest 03/05/11

Jeep Liberty Window RegulatorJeep Grand Cherokee Mirror - Side ViewSmittybilt Products at Oconee Off-Road!

Unread 03-06-2011, 11:43 AM   #1
Jeffro06
October 2012 TJOTM

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Jeeps Going Wild / IndyORV @ Winter Fest 03/05/11

The Badlands hosted the NAXJA 2011 Winterfest on March 5th. Jeeps Going Wild and IndyORV decided to "crash" the event. Ok, we actually thought it be a good time to get back out on the trails and maybe see alot of Jeeps in action.

On the Thursday before the event one of my 9 year daughters advised me she was going with me. I doubted she would actually get up and go, but come 4:15am on Saturday morning she popped out of bed and was ready to go.

I pulled out of the drive at 4:45am, with a light snow flurry in the air. The weather dorks had been predicting snow/rain showers all week. It was also very windy. Thankfully it was a tail wind.

I had fueld up the jeep when prices were at $3.39, so the first tank full was a the cheapest. Gas prices were at $3.59 for 87 octane the rest of the trip.

My daughter slept for about an hour and half of the trip, lucky her.

We pulled in to the Badlands at 9:30am (Indy time). There was a pretty good line, but I've seen worse.

We met up with all the JGW/IndyORV crew in the upper lot. I lead the way for the slightly less adventerous crowd, while another group headed out with bigger things in mind. They said they were going to take it easy, but I've seen their easy.

My group headed off to the quarry. It was cold / rainy and we'd soon find out the trails were muddy.

Now as I start posting pics, I'm not even going to try to remember everyone's real names or screen names that go along with them. If they want to point them selves out they can.

On our way to the quarry we came up through the woods, just to get things started. My daughter was having fun already.

I usually take "Kevin's Trail" all the way back to the quarry, but I had a stocker or two with me and knew that a couple of the holes have become pretty deep with water and didn't have good bypasses, so I exited at the quarry.

The first thing we found out was 4wd works better than 2wd.

The first few attempts up were only in 2wd, he told me it was popping out of 4wd. Once in 4wd it was pretty easy.

We headed off to what I call the rim trail, it takes you around the quarry to the far side of the pond.

As we did the rim trail a JK lost a flare and damaged a side step, but didn't seem to care.

Some had doubts about doing the creek, due to all the rain, but I've never really seen the creek real high, not even after a week of rain. Turns out the creek wasn't all that high, but it was moving way faster than normal. We followed the creek "backwards" (away from the tubes) to where you have to exit.

Exiting the creek:

After the creek we started winding our way through the woods. We came upon a downed tree, which was laying on the trail, not just across the trail, and a downed tree that was laying across the trail, both in the same spot. This would require going over the first tree, the wiggling our way through a tight turn between some trees. I made it just fine, as did the two TJ's.

After making his way through by pass of the tree to the secondary route, he had to back up to help a stock XJ.

The XJ was hung up on both trees.

There wasn't enough room to snatch the XJ off the trees. I decided it was time to break out the Superwinch for the first time. There was no easy way to get to him. I had to go back down the trail, make a "57" point turn to line my self up with the XJ. Once hooked up the Superwinch made quick work of freeing him.

The trouble wasn't over yet as he got stuck, while trying to make the right hand turn onto the alternate route. I ended up heading back down the trail again. I had to pull him from the side, using the front passenger side tow hook, in hopes that he would spin towards me. The only issue here was he may hit a tree with the passenger rear quarter panel. Other pushed him away from the tree as I winched, but he still tagged the tree, causing slight damage to the his rear flare.

I also use my winch to move the tree that was laying on the trail. I couldn't get it off of the trail, but I did make room for the others.

After that adventure we headed back to the quarry to meet with the other group.

Some random quarry shots:

From there we headed back to the upper lot for some lunch.

Moab Trails I've done: Onion Creek, Long Canyon, Dome Plateau, Top of The World (2), Fins-N-Things (2), Poison Spider,
Golden Spike, Gold Bar Rim, Hell's Revenge (2), Baby Lion Back, Cliff Hanger, Moab Rim, Kane Creek Canyon, Strike Ravine

Shortcuts to key points in my build: MTRk's OME 2" HD Lift Antirock Skidrow steering box & radiator skids LoD rear bumper
Rokmen Mercenary bumper w/Superwinch Rokmen sliders Skidrow engine skid Rampage Top CB set up
Custom trunk Rokmen 1" Billet spacers JJ track bar Rokmen Adjustable Control Arms Currectlync Steering
Rokmen Trail Corners Metalcloak Overlines Kentrol Hood Latches JK Turn Signals Xenon 4" Flat Flares Hood Decal Duratracs
Derale Tranny Cooler DieHard Factor 55 Thimble Ten Factory Front Chromo Shafts

Get your build sheet here.
Jeffro06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-06-2011, 11:43 AM   #2
Jeffro06
October 2012 TJOTM

2006 TJ Wrangler 

I decided to grab a few shots of some of the jeeps during the lunch break:

After lunch the two groups headed back out. I took up the tail end of my group, with Anthony leading the way. We took part of the Trek trail, which ran right along the edge of some flooded woods.

The trail is usually pretty easy, but the mud made it a bit more fun. I ended up attempting a pretty good hole, which tipped me to the driver side, only inches from the bank of the mud hole. There was a broken tree root, branch or something of the sort headed right for my door. I let off the gas and came to rest just a couple of inches from puncturing my door. I attempted to get out of the hole a couple of times, but I wasn't going anywhere. This was a perfect chance to use my new Superwinch on me, the reason I bought it in the first place.

I couldn't get out of the jeep, as the bank of the hole was as high as my window. My daughter kept saying "Yep, we tipped over"... Other's in my group pulled my winch line, attached it to the tree I pointed out (using my tree saver), then hooked up my winch control. I won't complain too much about the cover to the plug on my winch being ripped off.....on the first day! Thankfully it didn't fall into the mud, so I still have it. The winch worked great, pulled my right out. If you saw how stuck I was on my last trip, this was worse.

We made our way to the dunes, where the others decided to play on the sand hills and what not. I don't care for the dunes, so instead I let my daughter drive the jeep, for the first time. I had her sit in the seat with me, put in 4lo and just crept along. She drove it for quite a ways, through several mud holes. She loved it.

My daughter's first drive.

Some pics of the others screwing around on the dunes:

Someone thought it would be a good idea to jump the dunes:

Someone was wrong:

The control arm was removed, he drove it back to the Badlands shop and they fixed it for $35.

Moab Trails I've done: Onion Creek, Long Canyon, Dome Plateau, Top of The World (2), Fins-N-Things (2), Poison Spider,
Golden Spike, Gold Bar Rim, Hell's Revenge (2), Baby Lion Back, Cliff Hanger, Moab Rim, Kane Creek Canyon, Strike Ravine

Shortcuts to key points in my build: MTRk's OME 2" HD Lift Antirock Skidrow steering box & radiator skids LoD rear bumper
Rokmen Mercenary bumper w/Superwinch Rokmen sliders Skidrow engine skid Rampage Top CB set up
Custom trunk Rokmen 1" Billet spacers JJ track bar Rokmen Adjustable Control Arms Currectlync Steering
Rokmen Trail Corners Metalcloak Overlines Kentrol Hood Latches JK Turn Signals Xenon 4" Flat Flares Hood Decal Duratracs

Unread 03-06-2011, 11:43 AM   #3
Jeffro06
October 2012 TJOTM

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Those of us who weren't in the shop went to the quarry to check out the goings on.

Here are some random shots and shots of guys doing things I won't be attempting for quite a few more payments:

Quite a crowd had gathered to watch as people tried the big wall.

This guy actually ran out fuel, stopped right there and switched tanks.

This KOTH rig was quite impressive. It just never stood still long enough to get a good shot.

Just to prove I was still there.

Not all the jeeps were big jeeps.

Unread 03-06-2011, 11:44 AM   #4
Jeffro06
October 2012 TJOTM

2006 TJ Wrangler 

After the fun on the wall was over, we moved over to Purgatory to watch guys beat their jeeps to pieces on the rocks.

Here are some Purgatory shots:

So much for taking it easy.

Here's a shot of a crawler on the same wall the KOTH rig was on earlier, didn't even look like a challenge.

I played around in the quarry too, climbed "the wall", which the daughter loved. I drove back down the wall too, which scared her just a bit more than going up.

I used my MV-50 compressor to air back up and it worked like a dream. It was a bit dirty from the water being splashed under the hood, but it worked fine.

We stopped in the Badlands store grabbed a sweatshirt for the daughter, and her sister of course, and headed for home....in the snow.

It had gotten colder all day and the wind didn't let up at all.

As I headed north I had a head wind, which made things a bit more challenging. If I drove 65 the jeep would want to downshift on the long uphill sections. I didn't feel like running 3000 rpms, so I backed it down to 60mph.

On the way down I stopped in Watseeka (SP) IL for fuel. I got 14mpg on the way down. On the way home I stopped in Watseeka again, I managed 10 mpg on that tank. Once home I fueld up once more and got 13mpg on that tank, due to the headwinds.

I also managed to run into a very slick stretch of hwy, about 20 miles from home. I fish tailed twice as I passed under two different overpasses. Doing this at 65mph sure wakes you up. I backed it down to 55 for the next 10 miles or so, until the snow just vanished. It was dry as a bone at home.

Once back in town I respooled my winch line and put the jeep int he garage. This morning I cleaned it out and washed it. It won't be seeing anymore mud for a while, no wheeling for me until May....Moab baby.

I just want to say thanks to eveyone for coming out, helping when help was needed and for not hating me when I got just a little bit fed up at one point.

I have some video, but it's not ready to post. Here's a gallery of photo's I took: March 5, Winter Fest.

If anyone has any photos/vids of me I'd appreciate it if you posted them here.

Last edited by Jeffro06; 03-06-2011 at 02:13 PM.. Reason: The gallery of pics finally finished loading.
Unread 03-06-2011, 01:26 PM   #5
Imped
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Great pics as always Jeff. Unfortunately I have ZERO pictures so I can't help you out there. If you let me use yours, I'll take as many as you want next time out.
Imped is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-06-2011, 01:51 PM   #6
Jeffro06
October 2012 TJOTM

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imped View Post
Great pics as always Jeff. Unfortunately I have ZERO pictures so I can't help you out there. If you let me use yours, I'll take as many as you want next time out.
I guess I could bring my back up dSLR.

Unread 03-06-2011, 02:10 PM   #7
millfire517
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Great pics!!!
millfire517 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-06-2011, 02:29 PM   #8
Rossi16
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Awesome pics as always!!
Unread 03-06-2011, 04:03 PM   #9
Jeffro06
October 2012 TJOTM

2006 TJ Wrangler 

This morning I decided to clean up the jeep, it really wasn't all that bad. I think the inside was actually dirtier than the outside. I'll credit the rain and snow for the pre-wash.

Here's how it looked this morning:

Here's how it looked a few hours later:

All in all yesterday I drove 460 miles total. I have yet to figure out how much I spent on fuel, sweat shirts and food.....and I'm not going to either.

Unread 03-06-2011, 07:23 PM   #10
TheHeilis
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Great pics Jeff. I'll be ready next time.
White Jeep Club Member #117
TheHeilis is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-06-2011, 08:52 PM   #11
99goldxj
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Thanks for the pull off the logs. I think from now on I will bring an axe or some kind of tool to cut up trees or something because it seems there is quite a few trees across trails (between this and previous trips). I had fun despite being worried about knowing I had to drive home so I was trying to take it easy. Very happy to only go away with having re attach a right rear fender flare. Don't know if I will go April 9th and if I do, I might just play in the quarry and sand dunes (was going to try to go there but didn't know how to get there). Also your pictures explain where you went to during lunch. Hopefully by June I will be more prepared.

"but yeah i guess if i did it all over, i would have hit her."

[QUOTE=99XJBeast;11291646]its running like a raped ape on steroids.[/QUOTE]

1999 XJ. 235 Big O AT's. Clear bumper and side markers. 6.5 inch speakers in rear. Soon to be all LED bulbs (need turn signal flasher and led bulbs and gauge lights).
99goldxj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-06-2011, 08:57 PM   #12
RockRodHooligan
Web Wheeler

1996 XJ Cherokee 

Here's some from the IndyORV side of things:
Messing around, mid point Orange trail

There are times where a buggy just doesn't cut it

Some of the more fortunate ones:

Guess what that says!

Another rig with the same engine, but more subtle

89 MJ: Project: Ground up - Sold
01 XJ: Project: Silverback - Totaled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apex View Post
Penis inches...
Good god man. Indyorv :rofl: d**k and fart jokes. :rofl:
RockRodHooligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-06-2011, 09:42 PM   #13
RockRodHooligan
Web Wheeler

1996 XJ Cherokee 

Pics from the Quarry:
Sick TJ on Portals

XJ on Portals

ksilovich on the steps

Imped checking clearances

Hella flex for short arms

Random carnage

T&T Customs even came out to play

Really digging that front end!

Playing with the panoramic function on my camera, need more time with it

Impeds impromptu bumper modification

89 MJ: Project: Ground up - Sold
01 XJ: Project: Silverback - Totaled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apex View Post
Penis inches...
Good god man. Indyorv :rofl: d**k and fart jokes. :rofl:
RockRodHooligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-06-2011, 10:48 PM   #14
Jeffro06
October 2012 TJOTM

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Very nice Rod, I was wondering what you guys had gotten into. For taking it easy I sure did hear a few tales of broken parts. I wouldn't have expected anything less.

Unread 03-07-2011, 05:26 AM   #15
Jeffro06
October 2012 TJOTM

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Here are the videos I got. Blame YouTube for the music, it's Creed, so turn down the volume if you don't want to hear it.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.