Jeeps Going Wild @ The Badlands: Sept. 24, 2011 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Trail Reports & Pictures > Jeeps Going Wild @ The Badlands: Sept. 24, 2011

XJ Rail Sale!The Ruffstuff NOT Universal 4 Link Kit!Vanco Big Brake Kit Promotion!

Unread 09-25-2011, 11:03 AM   #1
Jeffro06
October 2012 TJOTM

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Jeeps Going Wild @ The Badlands: Sept. 24, 2011

On Saturday September 24, 2011 a few of us headed out to the The Badlands Off Road Park in Attica Indiana. This would be only my third trip down this year, which is fewer than past years.

This trip down my 10-year old daughter, Ashlynn, rode along. We hit the rode at about 5am. The weather forecast was 60's and a 50% chance of rain. The day started in the 40's and cloudy. On the way down we did hit some rain, but it was gone long before we hit Attica.

We arrived in the park @ 0920 hours (add an hour for Indy time) and met up with ksilovich, 5cents and Dozer.

Me

ksilovich

L: 5cents R: Dozer

Ashlynn grabbed a few shots to start the day.

After airing down, flagging up, and removing other various parts we headed into the woods. 5cents had informed me the park had made some changes and dynamite had been used since my last visit, so he took the lead for the day.

Following Dozer into the woods.

We weaved our way through the woods for a bit, then 5cents mentioned a little climb that included a railroad tie.

It's steeper than it looks.

Dozer hits the railroad tie climb....he's open/open.

The ground was a bit wet so traction wasn't exactly prime.

Dozer finally prevailed.

5cents was next.

Traction was still the issue....lockerless.

Ashlynn grabbed a shot of me walking right up....locked f/r.

Ksilovich walked right up. 37s, ARB rear, open front.

After the railroad tie we continued winding our way through the woods, around the trees, and over the hills.....to grandmothers house we went.

I honestly had no idea where we were for most of the morning.

Random shot along the trail.

We managed to make our way to Red Trail, where ksilovich did this:

My new dSLR has HD video and that's the first time I used it on the trail. I like it.

Dozer made his way around this rock on Red.

ksilovich took a more direct route.

What you can't see, but probably will when other's post up is me getting stuck after taking the above shots. I hopped back in the jeep and started pulling forward, almost instantly my front end took a hard right and I slid down a hill and came to an abrupt stop. I felt like I was leaning to the passenger side....alot. It felt worse than it looked...which is usually the case. There were a few trees on the passenger side and I really didn't want to hit them.

It was quickly learned that I had a tree blocking the front axle, so we tried to tug it backwards. I hooked to ksilovich and he gave a tug....nothing. Time for the winch. I hooked to a tree (using a tree saver of course) and pulled myself up and over the tree. So when you ask "what should I buy first?"....don't hesitate to get the winch. This would have been a booger of a situation to get out of without the winch.

Once free we set our sites on a big rock, next to a big tree. The tree had all kinds of battle scars on it.

This sure looks like the tree wins, more times than not.

First up, 5cents:

There was a fine line between making it, getting hung up on the rock, or hitting the tree.

Moab Trails I've done: Onion Creek, Long Canyon, Dome Plateau, Top of The World (2), Fins-N-Things (2), Poison Spider,
Golden Spike, Gold Bar Rim, Hell's Revenge (2), Baby Lion Back, Cliff Hanger, Moab Rim, Kane Creek Canyon, Strike Ravine

Shortcuts to key points in my build: MTRk's OME 2" HD Lift Antirock Skidrow steering box & radiator skids LoD rear bumper
Rokmen Mercenary bumper w/Superwinch Rokmen sliders Skidrow engine skid Rampage Top CB set up
Custom trunk Rokmen 1" Billet spacers JJ track bar Rokmen Adjustable Control Arms Currectlync Steering
Rokmen Trail Corners Metalcloak Overlines Kentrol Hood Latches JK Turn Signals Xenon 4" Flat Flares Hood Decal Duratracs
Derale Tranny Cooler DieHard Factor 55 Thimble Ten Factory Front Chromo Shafts

Get your build sheet here.

Last edited by Jeffro06; 09-25-2011 at 07:53 PM.. Reason: Said 38's, when it's really 37's....I am soooo sorry.
Jeffro06 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-25-2011, 11:04 AM   #2
Jeffro06
October 2012 TJOTM

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Working hard not to hit the tree.

5cents bumped the tree, but we pushed the jeep off the tree and he was through.

Made it!

I went next, having lockers made it easier, but the tree still scared the crap out of me. I managed not to touch it.

ksilovich was up next. His extra height made him worry a bit more about the tree. We assured him that his taller tires and extra ground clearance would allow him to go over more of the rock, thus clearing the tree......nice theory.

Things got a bit tippy.

Right about here I decided to run, and save myself.

He didn't tip over, but he did bounce off the tree, putting a small hole in the rear corner of the top....nothing a needle and thread (nylon thread) can't fix. We hooked a tow strap to the front bumper and pulled to help bring his tires back to earth, and he made through without further drama.

Another group of guys showed up and one of them decided to climb the v-notch in the wall:

"You broke a leaf."

A broken leaf didn't stop him from making it up.

Or going back down.

After Red we cut through the quarry.

Ksilovich did the step....a slippery step.

We made our way along the rim trail, through woods, and down the creek. Things sure looked different to me. The creek's path had been changed in one area. It use to have a s-turn, but had decided it wan't to go straight I guess.

We traveled beyond the tubes, then climbed our way out.

Dozer had to give it "more power" to make it.

He hit the easy button.

As we made our way to the "dunes" 5cents thought we should take a steep slippery exit.....

...Thought.

With the wet slippery clay getting the best of 5cents we decided to opt for an easier exit. Once in the dunes I let Ashlynn drive. She was so happy. She climbed a few small hills, and once home rubbed it in her twin sister's face.

One happy kid.

We continued to wind our way through the woods for a bit, then headed to lunch. After lunch we traveled back to the tubes and dropped into the creek.

Random trail shot of Dozer.

We kind of did a loop in the creek, going past "the rock" but returning to climb it.

Making our way back to the quarry, near Purgatory.

Moab Trails I've done: Onion Creek, Long Canyon, Dome Plateau, Top of The World (2), Fins-N-Things (2), Poison Spider,
Golden Spike, Gold Bar Rim, Hell's Revenge (2), Baby Lion Back, Cliff Hanger, Moab Rim, Kane Creek Canyon, Strike Ravine

Shortcuts to key points in my build: MTRk's OME 2" HD Lift Antirock Skidrow steering box & radiator skids LoD rear bumper
Rokmen Mercenary bumper w/Superwinch Rokmen sliders Skidrow engine skid Rampage Top CB set up
Custom trunk Rokmen 1" Billet spacers JJ track bar Rokmen Adjustable Control Arms Currectlync Steering
Rokmen Trail Corners Metalcloak Overlines Kentrol Hood Latches JK Turn Signals Xenon 4" Flat Flares Hood Decal Duratracs

Unread 09-25-2011, 11:30 AM   #3
Jeffro06
October 2012 TJOTM

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Once back at the quarry 5cents wanted to give a new line a try.

Getting hung up on the cement was the biggest concern really.

He drove up the embankment on the passenger side, in an attempt to keep the rear drivers control arm from getting hung up on the concrete, but the jeep kept sliding back down to the cement.

With some great spotting 5cents was able to defeat the concrete and make it up. The control concerns were for naught. Sorry about the blurry shot, but as the jeep shifted towards me, I moved!

ksilovich had a little easier time of it.

It was now 14:30 hours and Ashlynn was ready to go home. I would have loved to stay a longer, but I knew bringing the little one along would require me to leave when she was ready. I said good-bye to everyone and headed to the gift shop. It always costs me more when I take one of the girls.

I made it home safe and sound and as near as I can tell without any damage. There were a few times during the day that I heard a few noises that made me pucker a bit, but that's a part of the game I guess.

I do hate the drive to and from the Badlands, but it was worth it in the end.

Hopefully I don't go so long between wheeling trips as I did this time....next time it may have to be The Cliff's

The rest of my photos.

Now.....it's time for 5cents, ksilovich and Dozer to post some pics and vids of me.

I also want to thank 5cents for leading us on some nice trails. I did a few things that I had never seen before. New is good.

PS....Ashlynn fell asleep about 10-minutes after I pulled out of the park, so I guess it really was time to go.
Unread 09-25-2011, 02:11 PM   #4
99TJSahara
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Looks like a good time, I can't wait to go to the badlands again.
99 Wrangler Sahara-sold
99TJSahara is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-25-2011, 03:50 PM   #5
2006_Sport
2006 TJ Wrangler 

I hate you

Thank god there's a small offroad park opening 50 minutes from me so I can finally get off the road. Looks like a really fun time man.
Unread 09-25-2011, 05:11 PM   #6
Jeffro06
October 2012 TJOTM

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99TJSahara View Post
Looks like a good time...
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2006_Sport View Post
Looks like a really fun time man.
It was a fun, and it'll be even more fun to see some more pics, guys....

Unread 09-25-2011, 05:15 PM   #7
5cents
2008 JK Wrangler 

My pics

5cents is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-25-2011, 05:16 PM   #8
5cents
2008 JK Wrangler 

Unread 09-25-2011, 05:17 PM   #9
5cents
2008 JK Wrangler 

Unread 09-25-2011, 05:40 PM   #10
Jeffro06
October 2012 TJOTM

2006 TJ Wrangler 

I see you did Orange after I left.....makes me sad that I wasn't there.

Any pics/vids from Red?

Unread 09-25-2011, 05:44 PM   #11
5cents
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffro06 View Post
It was a fun, and it'll be even more fun to see some more pics, guys....
I was having some technical difficulties. Moving over to picasaweb from photobucket. Slight learning curve to the settings. Think I got it hammered out. Working on uploading videos to youtube.
Unread 09-25-2011, 05:47 PM   #12
Jeffro06
October 2012 TJOTM

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5cents View Post
I was having some technical difficulties. Moving over to picasaweb from photobucket. Slight learning curve to the settings. Think I got it hammered out. Working on uploading videos to youtube.
10-4. I thought you'd have some vids.

Unread 09-25-2011, 06:42 PM   #13
5cents
2008 JK Wrangler 

Unread 09-25-2011, 06:43 PM   #14
5cents
2008 JK Wrangler 

Unread 09-25-2011, 06:44 PM   #15
5cents
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.