Jeeps Going Wild: At The Badlands, Attica IN, 102012. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Trail Reports & Pictures > Jeeps Going Wild: At The Badlands, Attica IN, 102012.

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitThe Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!Building a Bumper?

Unread 10-21-2012, 01:02 PM   #1
Jeffro06
October 2012 TJOTM

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Jeeps Going Wild: At The Badlands, Attica IN, 102012.

After not having been to The Badlands in Attica IN, since September of 2011 I decided it was time to get out on the trails. I posted up in the JGW section, as well as Facebook. I was a bit disappointed with the JGW member turn out....or lack there of, but that didn't keep me, and my daughter Ashlynn from heading out. My wife and my other daughter were going to join us, but a basketball game changed their plans.

I wasn't able to get on the road until 6am, and arrived at the park at 9:30am....which is 10:30am Indy time, losing that hour sucks. The park looked pretty full, but I think part of that was an illusion, since they don't let you park in the lower lot anymore.

Once at the Park I met up with Doug (kellerumps), silver TJ and Chris (csouers), white XJ.

My Rubicon

Doug's TJ

Chris, along with his Dad, arrived a little after I did. Once he was unloaded we headed to the trails. Doug took the lead, which was great, since I hadn't been there in so long I was more than happy to not have to lead the way.

We made our way to the quarry and climbed up the woods trail (AKA: Kevin's Trail).

Chris climbing out of the quarry.

There was some rain the day/night before so the holes were really full of water. There had been some work done to this trail since my last visit. A few of the bigger holes, along the fence line, had been filled in.

After Kevin's Trail we made our way towards the creek....where we found plenty more water.

Chris started through a section of water, stopped, backed up and tried it again, this time a little faster......

I did say faster, right?

Once in, it was peddle to the metal.

A little churning, and he was through.

As we made our way to towards the creek we found a few obstacles to climb.

This is a view from the top, of course it's steeper than it looks.

We did that climb twice. The first time we were there Doug and I went up and to the right. Chris couldn't make the turn, backed down, and found a tree, don't worry the video will show that.

After tagging the tree, Chris took the bypass.

The second time we were there, well, lets not get ahead of ourselves.

We played in and around the creek, as Doug found some trails I hadn't been on, then ended up back in the quarry to play on some rocks.

Doug found a little rock garden to drive through.

Chris bypassed the garden, due to not having any armor on his gas tank, I dove in....I have in cab video of it.

Doug saw someone else climbing a wall he had never climbed, so he climbed it...

I climbed it too....hopefully there's a photo out there somewhere.

Chris gave it a shot....

Moab Trails I've done: Onion Creek, Long Canyon, Dome Plateau, Top of The World (2), Fins-N-Things (2), Poison Spider,
Golden Spike, Gold Bar Rim, Hell's Revenge (2), Baby Lion Back, Cliff Hanger, Moab Rim, Kane Creek Canyon, Strike Ravine

Shortcuts to key points in my build: MTRk's OME 2" HD Lift Antirock Skidrow steering box & radiator skids LoD rear bumper
Rokmen Mercenary bumper w/Superwinch Rokmen sliders Skidrow engine skid Rampage Top CB set up
Custom trunk Rokmen 1" Billet spacers JJ track bar Rokmen Adjustable Control Arms Currectlync Steering
Rokmen Trail Corners Metalcloak Overlines Kentrol Hood Latches JK Turn Signals Xenon 4" Flat Flares Hood Decal Duratracs
Derale Tranny Cooler DieHard Factor 55 Thimble Ten Factory Front Chromo Shafts

Get your build sheet here.
Jeffro06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-21-2012, 01:02 PM   #2
Jeffro06
October 2012 TJOTM

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Being open/open was working against Chris.

After this Chris called it.

After that climb we took a small break.

I did a couple of artsy shots, as and ode to csouers.

We made our back towards the creek, during which we saw a butt load of Nissan Exterra's drive by us. We caught up with them at the hill climb I mentioned earlier.

This time we went straight up, which lead to a tight squeeze between a couple of trees.

Doug climbing on up.

The trees made the squeeze for Doug really tight, but with my Rubi being a bit narrower, not so much for me, tight, but nothing to worry about.

Chris popped a bead on his front passenger side tire on his way to this climb so I broke out my Viair and we aired it up, as much as we could.

By the time Chris was up and through the squeeze the tire was flat again. I told him if we ran across the Nissan's he'd have to let them know he made the climb open/open and on three tires.

We decided it would be a good idea to change Chris' flat, which actually gave me an opportunity to bust out the Hi-lift, probably only the second time I've done that since I bought it, but it just goes to show you it's a good investment.

We wandered through the woods and creek a bit more and found our selves over by the quarry pond, where there just happened to be a wall for Doug to try and climb.

That wall was pretty undercut and was going to require a heck of bump to get up, after a few attempts Doug decided enough was enough....he wasn't happy with that decision, but he found another wall, right next that one.

Again, the wall won, but I have a feeling Doug will go back and win.

Chris taking a pic of me, as I take one of him.

We made our way back along Red to the woods around the quarry, where Doug took us up a ledge I had never been up.

Chris' open/open and low tread tires were giving him fits on the ledge.

Doug telling Chris to "drive easy"....which ended up getting the job done.

We decided to do the Orange Trail, which I failed to get any pictures of, as we were moving right along. It was fun. The swamp was a swamp anymore, which was nice.

After Orange we went to Green, AKA: The Roller Coaster. Some call Orange hard, I think Green is more of a challenge, as you can hardly every see where you're going as you climb the many, many hills.

At the end of green Chris had a wire come off under the hood, which left him dead in the water...it's on video. Doug tugged him out of the water hole and Chris found the loose wire and all was good.

Doug and I drove through the boulder field at the end of Green. I hadn't ever had the Rubi in there, but it did great.

After that it was off to the quarry, so I could let my daughter, Ashlynn (11 years old) drive. She had only driven once before, the last time we visited the Badlands. She only putted around the dunes that time, but this time she drove in the quarry.

I let her drive up an easy hill, then a few more, each of which were harder than the first. She did real good. We took video too. Her favorite part was when she climbed a hill that Chris couldn't make it up. Some claimed it was because she was locked, so she did it again, unlocked. Good tires and the trac-lok in the back helped I'm sure.

We ended up doing 15 miles of trails, and left the park just before 5:30pm. It was 9pm by the time we arrived home....we had to stop for some Dairy Queen on the way.

All in all I had a great day, one of the best times I've ever had at The Badlands. To those of you that chose The Cliffs (I won't mention any names) you missed a great time, it was well worth the drive.

I should add that I made it through the day without any damage, a few new scrapes on the underside, but that's to be expected when you play on rocks.

Chris' XJ did pretty good, and this was his shake down run, so I'm sure next time out it'll do even better.

Thanks again to Doug, wo did a great job leading the way.

The Badlands had made a few changes in the year I was last there, the ladies ought to like the port-a-potties that are in the quarry. No more driving back to the lot, or squatting in the bushes...lol.

Moab Trails I've done: Onion Creek, Long Canyon, Dome Plateau, Top of The World (2), Fins-N-Things (2), Poison Spider,
Golden Spike, Gold Bar Rim, Hell's Revenge (2), Baby Lion Back, Cliff Hanger, Moab Rim, Kane Creek Canyon, Strike Ravine

Shortcuts to key points in my build: MTRk's OME 2" HD Lift Antirock Skidrow steering box & radiator skids LoD rear bumper
Rokmen Mercenary bumper w/Superwinch Rokmen sliders Skidrow engine skid Rampage Top CB set up
Custom trunk Rokmen 1" Billet spacers JJ track bar Rokmen Adjustable Control Arms Currectlync Steering
Rokmen Trail Corners Metalcloak Overlines Kentrol Hood Latches JK Turn Signals Xenon 4" Flat Flares Hood Decal Duratracs

Unread 10-21-2012, 01:03 PM   #3
Jeffro06
October 2012 TJOTM

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Here are the vids I got, using my daughter's Flip, mounted to the windshield. Sorry about the tick, tick sound...that's the camera strap hitting the windshield. Oh, sorry about the squealing sound...that's Chris' XJ.

I'll add the video of my daugther driving later.

Unread 10-21-2012, 02:20 PM   #4
midnight_f150
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Sound like you had a great time Jeff. Once again great job on the pictures. You ever thought about getting a Gopro?
midnight_f150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-21-2012, 02:39 PM   #5
shortstax33
1998 TJ Wrangler 

I would have loved to make it out, just toooo much driving, and one of the members of our convoy was...well I wasn't feeling warm and fuzzy about spending a camping evening and then a day of wheeling with him. 7 hours of driving and I would have killed him. The cliffs however, was also a great trip for us! I didn't bring my camera but lots of pics got taken by one of my passengers.

Good to see your trip ended up going good! Looked like an awesome time!

"And if anyone's curious, the answer is yes. I drink beer before/during all mechanical surgery on my vehicles. " - yours truly.
shortstax33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-21-2012, 02:45 PM   #6
Jeffro06
October 2012 TJOTM

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by midnight_f150 View Post
Sound like you had a great time Jeff. Once again great job on the pictures. You ever thought about getting a Gopro?
Yes, I think about it everyday, and I enter their "win everything we make" contest, everyday.

I grabbed an hour or so of video with my daughter's Flip....it did a pretty good job, but you'll have to wait and see for yourself.

Unread 10-21-2012, 02:46 PM   #7
Jeffro06
October 2012 TJOTM

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortstax33 View Post
Good to see your trip ended up going good! Looked like an awesome time!
The drive does suck, I found myself questioning why I was driving so far, so early, with so little sleep, but once I hit the trails I remembered why....The Badlands is way more fun than The Cliffs, to me anyway.

Unread 10-21-2012, 05:59 PM   #8
Jeffro06
October 2012 TJOTM

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Here is the video of my daughter, Ashlynn, wheeling my Rubi.

Here's a link to all the vids on my webpage....in case YouTube is blocked in your work place...

JGW: Fun Day at The Badlands

Here's a link to some pics and vids Ashlynn took.

Ashlynn's pics and vids

I'll post a link to all of my pictures when Doug and Chris are done "stealing" them.

Unread 10-21-2012, 07:27 PM   #9
Jeffro06
October 2012 TJOTM

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Here's a link to all of my pictures: JGW Fun Day @ The Badlands

Unread 10-21-2012, 07:43 PM   #10
midnight_f150
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Great pictures and video. Jeep looks great.
midnight_f150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-22-2012, 08:25 AM   #11
BRay

Looks like you had a fun time. Is that the first time your daughter has driven off-road and how did she like it?
BRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-22-2012, 09:04 AM   #12
Jeffro06
October 2012 TJOTM

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRay View Post
Looks like you had a fun time. Is that the first time your daughter has driven off-road and how did she like it?
She's driven once before, for just a few minutes, on a pretty flat surface, while in the dune section of the Badlands, this was her first full on wheeling. When she was done she had a big grin. She hasn't stopped talking about it.

Unread 10-22-2012, 01:14 PM   #13
kellerumps
See Ya Coach.

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffro06 View Post

I'll post a link to all of my pictures when Doug and Chris are done "stealing" them.
Stealing is such a dirty word....Lots of negative connotations associated with it.

I prefer the terms "Acquiring" or "Procuring" ...Not as much negativity surrounding them.

Member of: IndyOrv
kellerumps is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-22-2012, 01:16 PM   #14
Jeffro06
October 2012 TJOTM

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kellerumps View Post
Stealing is such a dirty word....Lots of negative connotations associated with it.

I prefer the terms "Acquiring" or "Procuring" ...Not as much negativity surrounding them.
How about joyfully copying them, with my permission? I'm glad you liked them.

Unread 10-22-2012, 05:42 PM   #15
TJRHD
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Looks like a fun place.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.