Jeepin' the San Juans - Aug 27-Sept 1 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Trail Reports & Pictures > Jeepin' the San Juans - Aug 27-Sept 1

Warrior Products @ Oconee Off-Road! 706-534-9955Advance Adapters SYE KitsUCF Halloween Sale - 15% Off Until Midnight on Friday!

Unread 09-05-2005, 07:05 AM   #1
jdlawhon

Jeepin' the San Juans - Aug 27-Sept 1

The main gallery is HERE. Here's the tally of passes for the week.

Corkscrew:

Hurricane:

California:

Engineer:

Cinnamon (looks like someone stole the sign):

Imogene:

Stoney:

I also had to get the obligatory ledge & tunnel pics:

Unread 09-05-2005, 08:26 PM   #2
TucsonRubicon

Hey! Nice pics
Unread 09-06-2005, 07:02 PM   #3
87warrior
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Great pics and a Great place to wheel. I do see a problem with your passes.... MISSING: Black Bear Pass and Poughkeepsie Gultch Those are two "required" trails now. Although you can claim rain kept you off them and that is understandable

The Cinnamon Pass sign was not there a month ago when I was out there.

We need to have a JF run to this part of Colorado next year.
87warrior is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-07-2005, 05:59 AM   #4
jdlawhon

Quote:
Originally Posted by 87warrior
Great pics and a Great place to wheel. I do see a problem with your passes.... MISSING: Black Bear Pass and Poughkeepsie Gultch Those are two "required" trails now. Although you can claim rain kept you off them and that is understandable

The Cinnamon Pass sign was not there a month ago when I was out there.

We need to have a JF run to this part of Colorado next year.
I'm askeered of those trails!

Actually, I'm not, and I'd love to run 'em sometime, but I'd rather have at least one other Jeep with me when running them for the first time.
Unread 02-07-2013, 08:05 AM   #5
boydmc85
2008 JK Wrangler 

Airing down

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdlawhon View Post

Corkscrew:

Hurricane:

California:

Engineer:

Imogene:

Stoney:

Does one need to air down their tires if they were to drive any of these trails shown in this thread?
boydmc85 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-07-2013, 09:00 AM   #6
Jackal01

2011 JK Wrangler 

I did Engineer last summer. I didn't air down but I think I will when I go again. Some of the other would require it, too, like Cinnamon. Hard to tell if the OP aired down, doesn't look like it, though.

Jackal01 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-07-2013, 02:18 PM   #7
yoda13
Force Wheeler

2007 JK Wrangler 

I have run all of those trails not aired down when I was a newbie years ago, I air down now, rides better, traction is better...I would def. air down on Poughkeepsie though...
2007 White Jeep Wrangler X-auto, black freedom top, 15x8 Pro Comp Rock Crawlers, 33x12.5x15 BFG KM2s, Superchips Flashpaq, 2" OME Spring Lift, Bilsteins, Rusty's Adjustable front and rear trac-bar, JKS Quicker Disconnects, Rusty's adjustable lower control arms (front and rear), PolyPerformance adjustable upper control arms (front and rear), OEM Rubicon Rock Rails, Finishlinewest Stonehenge Series rear bumper, Smittybuilt winch, Body Armor Front High Clearance Bumper w/ KC Highlights mounted, Roadmaster towbar, Valley 2" receiver hitch, Skid Row Engine Transmission skid, sPod switching system, KC Highlights windshield mounted lights, Delta replacement non-quadbar xenon headlamps, and Bestop saddlebags-Member of the United Four Wheel Drive Association and Blue Ribbon Coalition, †John 3:16†

RIP Mrs. yoda13... My life is better for having had you in it and you made me a better man...I can't wait to see you again...I love you always and forever, and for all eternity

If you want to help the sport of off-roading, and protect your right to do so, please visit the Envirobeat
forum...

yoda13 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-07-2013, 08:15 PM   #8
Jackal01

2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoda13 View Post
I have run all of those trails not aired down when I was a newbie years ago, I air down now, rides better, traction is better...I would def. air down on Poughkeepsie though...
What are your thoughts on my WK2 going on the more difficult trails? I dont think I could do Black Bear even with others but the other trails mentioned herein.

Man this is an old thread!!

Unread 02-09-2013, 06:26 PM   #9
codynumber7
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdlawhon

Corkscrew:

Hurricane:

California:

Engineer:

Imogene:

Stoney:

How is Imogene? Would you recommend it for an all stock 99 TJ?
codynumber7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-09-2013, 07:22 PM   #10
87warrior
2003 TJ Wrangler 

You could do Imogene in a Camry with decent tires A stock TJ will have no issues.

The only problem could be the driver/passenger pucker factor!
Unread 02-10-2013, 01:39 AM   #11
codynumber7
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
You could do Imogene in a Camry with decent tires A stock TJ will have no issues.

Haha alright, thanks!
Unread 02-15-2013, 02:17 AM   #12
codynumber7
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:

Did you do black bear as well? If so, how difficult would it be for the same TJ?
Unread 02-15-2013, 08:24 AM   #13
87warrior
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by codynumber7 View Post

Did you do black bear as well? If so, how difficult would it be for the same TJ?
It can be done easily. Last time I did Black Bear, a stock XJ with street tires asked to follow us down. They did fine. I will say that you will want a spotter around the last few switchbacks and should plan on making the switchbacks in 2-3 turns, especially in a stock TJ that doesn't have a lot of suspension travel. Make sure your spotter isn't afraid of heights as they will need to get your front end a couple of feet from the 'edge'. Don't try to make the switchbacks in one turn as you will lift a tire at each axle and start sliding.

A set of front swaybar disconnects will make Black Bear 'feel' better as well as making all of the trails smoother.
Unread 02-16-2013, 09:33 AM   #14
yoda13
Force Wheeler

2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackal01

What are your thoughts on my WK2 going on the more difficult trails? I dont think I could do Black Bear even with others but the other trails mentioned herein.

Man this is an old thread!!
You could do black bear, no worries... If you can handle the heights... Poughkeepsie is the only one I would worry about...
2007 White Jeep Wrangler X-auto, black freedom top, 15x8 Pro Comp Rock Crawlers, 33x12.5x15 BFG KM2s, Superchips Flashpaq, 2" OME Spring Lift, Bilsteins, Rusty's Adjustable front and rear trac-bar, JKS Quicker Disconnects, Rusty's adjustable lower control arms (front and rear), PolyPerformance adjustable upper control arms (front and rear), OEM Rubicon Rock Rails, Finishlinewest Stonehenge Series rear bumper, Smittybuilt winch, Body Armor Front High Clearance Bumper w/ KC Highlights mounted, Roadmaster towbar, Valley 2" receiver hitch, Skid Row Engine Transmission skid, sPod switching system, KC Highlights windshield mounted lights, Delta replacement non-quadbar xenon headlamps, and Bestop saddlebags-Member of the United Four Wheel Drive Association and Blue Ribbon Coalition, †John 3:16†

RIP Mrs. yoda13... My life is better for having had you in it and you made me a better man...I can't wait to see you again...I love you always and forever, and for all eternity

If you want to help the sport of off-roading, and protect your right to do so, please visit the Envirobeat
forum...

yoda13 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-16-2013, 09:08 PM   #15
Jackal01

2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoda13 View Post
You could do black bear, no worries... If you can handle the heights... Poughkeepsie is the only one I would worry about...
good to hear. I have watched several videos on YT, mostly Wayalife and I guess it seems a lot worse than it really is. Heights don't really bother me just the capabilities of the WK2 (have lift, larger tires, etc, etc) and by then should have winch and OBA/portable air. Just some basic tools for more difficult trails. I guess as long as BB Pass doesn't have anything like major rock crawling I am not worried.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.