It's only Tahuya 6.05.2010 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Trail Reports & Pictures > It's only Tahuya 6.05.2010

ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy Billet LED Tail Lights

Unread 06-06-2010, 12:51 AM   #1
RaggedOleMan
2005 TJ Wrangler 

It's only Tahuya 6.05.2010

It's only Tahuya, right? How many of us busted up our junk at that place? I know I have. Maybe it's complacency, maybe it'a voodoo, I've no clue...but today a bunch of went out to find out.

RaggedOleMan (Jeepster425 behind me, NRiver behind Jeepster425) Airing down...we know, it's only Tahuya...

Jeepster425 (Ryan C.)airing down...look how muddy and dirty that thing is before we even got started...you ain't seen nothing yet. Ryan gave us all a show and a good laugh later in the day. Though I don't have any photo's of it, I think Inline6 got some and/or a video of the "Water Boy" doing his gig...

NRiver (Bruce) As usual of late, the belle of the ball! This was, I think, it's second "formal" outing and it didn't disappoint Bruce or the rest of us. Finesse' would describe it on the trail, though some have another name for the driver! Most recently, and memorably for me was; "Rip"

UniMog! Vega222 a.k.a. Oliver. this was my first time, close up view of the, arguably, most technologically advanced rig of its era. 1959... This thing is amazing! Loved the ***** out of it!

This V8 powered, fuel injected 1949 (I think it's a 49') on 35's was the reason we were all out here today. Rick, it's owner, recently bought it and did some "improvements" on it. Among them was relocating the drivers seat to the rear as far as he could get it to allow his 6', 250lb frame to ease in behind the 10" steering wheel. As McKbrew once said; "Like stuffing a bowling ball in a straw". Rick, always has a smile on his face even as he flipped the RaggedOleman a heapin' helpin' of old man jokes as the pretty young girls paraded by whilst we were shootin' the ***** at the high school keg party down at Mud Lake...Great rig, Rick! Sounded good, too, with that new duel exhaust set up! Next time it's your turn up Yellow Jacket and the other new rock climbs out there!

At the end of the tank traps there's a mild hill climb and this is Rip, floating up it...

About half way up...come on, get that heep up here! Can't you float any faster! Gawd...

Next it's Olli in his Uni! Finesse' isn't a word I'd use to describe this thing in motion. Mechanical & lumbering come to mind. But make no mistake this thing will go where no man has been before. My first experience watching it, or any other UniMog for that matter, in action. Them 40" Continental tires just churned up results at each and every opportunity!

At the top, the Olli-Uni made better time than Rip and his Rubi!

Next it's the Water Boy preppin' for his show later in the afternoon! It's a 2001 Xj, loaded! It was a little overloaded later on...

Ryan's safe and sound for the moment...after this we headed over to the top of Yellow Jacket to give Rick and his Wily's the willy's...but first, we had to endure a caravan of 17 f'n Range Rovers tip-toeing down the hill. I mean tip-toeing. I fixed/prepared a sandwhich, ate it, had a soda, drank it, smoked a butt, *****ed and moaned, compained over the CB and there was still rovers mosying on down the hill...the last one finally, delicately skootched around the corner and out of harms way...

Here's Olli and the Uni treading heavily down Yellow Jacket. We all watched with youthful anticipation as the mechanical, lumbering, beautiful beast beat feet to the bottom...

Rip is giving Olli some pointers on the descent...

You could pitch a tent under that thing! It wasn't fast, but, it got the job done. I tell you what, that thing is darn near un-stoppable on a downhill... Rotflmao

Hey Olli! You popped a bead! "What?" Where? I didn't pop no stinkin' bead!" Yeah, I know...faked your buns!

Hey Olli, there's a big rock under your dif! Oh, wait, there's 8 frikin' feet of clearance under that thing...nevermind, Olli...

Show off! Look at that thing go!

No, you ain't done yet. You still got a ways to go!

Does it articulate well? Oh, I see...I think you need a little more clearance there, Olli...

Up and over! Nice job, Olli! Outside of a bit of boulder budging, it was next to flawless @ Yellow Jacket...

~John

Last edited by RaggedOleMan; 06-06-2010 at 12:32 PM..
RaggedOleMan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-06-2010, 12:51 AM   #2
RaggedOleMan
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Here comes Rip! Smooth, eloquent...his rig is everything the Unimog is not. What do a 1959 UniMog and a 2003 Rubi built by Bruce, with the Trail Nazi's (Jeff's) help have in common? In a word, "capability..."

Here's NRiver at the bottom of Yellow Jacket. A quick u-ee and he'll try it the other way around...

Rip is on his way up. After watching the Olli-Uni I was expecting to see some rubble flyin' as Bruce made his way up. It wasn't to be. Bruce floated up Yellow Jacket like it was his driveway. I've watched buggies, Rubi's, Tj's, Yj's and no one I have ever witnessed made as easy work of Yellow jacket as Rip did. Be it his rig, the line he took, his experience & skills, whatever the hell it was, it was a perfect ascent. Really nice Job, Bruce. I think we were all a bit speechless when you got to the top without any effort...no one else could top that, and no one wanted to try. The belle of the ball was in her prime...Rip seems to be puttin' on a few pounds, though...

Here's a tight shot of Rip as he passed by me on his way to the top!

About half way to the top...

Almost there. You can see the Uni @ the top...Bruce collected his kudo's moments later...

My film card ran out about this time. So no more photo's from me. But, Bruce, Roger and some of the others got plenty more. Videos, too! Can't wait to see them!

And no, no VooDoo to be found. Well, there was a bit of mischief at Mud Lake...oh Water Boy? You got that thing cleaned up yet?

All in all it was perfect weather, perfect company except for the big dude in the Cj... Rotflmao and lots of great memories! Great to meet Oliver, too! Hope he joins up here at The Jeep Forum!

Last edited by RaggedOleMan; 06-06-2010 at 12:33 PM..
RaggedOleMan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-06-2010, 10:21 AM   #3
SpaceWrangler
Gnarly Adventurer

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Location: Where the Girls Dance Different With Familiar Grace
Well done. Thanks.

My Epic Five-Week Cross-Country Jeep Safari
SpaceWrangler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-06-2010, 11:17 AM   #4
nriver
2011 JK Wrangler 

Good fun

Unread 06-06-2010, 10:36 PM   #5
Jeffro06
October 2012 TJOTM

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Pretty cool stuff there guys.

Moab Trails I've done: Onion Creek, Long Canyon, Dome Plateau, Top of The World (2), Fins-N-Things (2), Poison Spider,
Golden Spike, Gold Bar Rim, Hell's Revenge (2), Baby Lion Back, Cliff Hanger, Moab Rim, Kane Creek Canyon, Strike Ravine

Shortcuts to key points in my build: MTRk's OME 2" HD Lift Antirock Skidrow steering box & radiator skids LoD rear bumper
Rokmen Mercenary bumper w/Superwinch Rokmen sliders Skidrow engine skid Rampage Top CB set up
Custom trunk Rokmen 1" Billet spacers JJ track bar Rokmen Adjustable Control Arms Currectlync Steering
Rokmen Trail Corners Metalcloak Overlines Kentrol Hood Latches JK Turn Signals Xenon 4" Flat Flares Hood Decal Duratracs
Derale Tranny Cooler DieHard Factor 55 Thimble Ten Factory Front Chromo Shafts

Get your build sheet here.
Jeffro06 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.