Goose Lake Jeep Trail (Montana) - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Trail Reports & Pictures > Goose Lake Jeep Trail (Montana)

FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Artec Flash Sale - 15% off and Free Shipping over $300Brand New! Quadratec LED Headlights!

Unread 08-08-2012, 03:08 PM   #1
duffer
1955 CJ3B 

Goose Lake Jeep Trail (Montana)

The spouse and I met up with our friends from Clancy, MT and managed to sneak away for 5 days last week. We did some camping off the Goose Lake Jeep Trail northeast of Yellowstone NP. The start of the Jeep trail is about 140 mile drive from Bozeman so we took the 2012 JK unlimited for its first real trip in the fire so to speak (as a side note-yeh it works pretty well but no way will it keep up with my CJ 3B in this stuff. Maybe with a lift, but it is still just too damned big).

By far, the most harrowing portion of the trip was the 53 miles from Gardiner, MT to Cooke City, MT through the park. We didn't even get a mile out of Gardiner before the first critter jam-this one for bighorns, but there were a couple more epic jams between Mammoth Hot Springs and Tower Junction. That we made it through without incident can only be attributed to the fact that there wasn't a bat in the vehicle for the inconsiderate jerks that can't be bothered to pull off the road to take pictures or whatever-maybe a lot of whatever.

The Goose Lake road (FS 3230) turns off US 212 about 3 miles east of Cooke City just short of Colter Pass and is about 8 miles from the highway to the Goose Lake trailhead at the Absaroka Beartooth Wilderness boundary. Contrary to what one of the local club members told me, it is still open all the way to the wilderness boundary-same as it has been since 1964. The first two miles are passable with a normal car after being rebuilt for the mine reclamation work at Crown Butte. The rest is mostly 3, with a couple of reaches that are maybe 4 trail. I did need both lockers in one place and had to give a line assist to my buddy’s XJ with an open front.

We camped at Star Lake (the first one on the trail south of Goose Lake and about a mile south), maybe a 100 yards from the road. We then did day hikes, two with Jeep assist, to areas within the Wilderness. Camp at Star Lake (and yes, REI):

Typical trail shots:

We drove the Jeeps to the Goose Lake trailhead for the day hike to Grasshopper Glacier:
Trailhead:

Goose Lake and Fox mountain (11,245'). This area may as well be in the Brooks Range-all tundra

Goose Lake:

Old mining debris between Goose and Little Goose Lakes:

Hike to Grasshopper Glacier:

Looking north from the top of Grasshopper Glacier down West Rosebud Creek drainage. We were at about 10,750 foot elevation, 40 mph wind, rain, and hail so I didn't get too many pics at this spot.

The second trip started at camp (Star Lake) and we hiked to the next small drainage to the east past Snow, Green and Little Green Lakes. Amazing what a difference being a half mile from the road makes-true backcountry. This was a relatively easy 5 hour hike.
Star Lake:

Snow Lake (with a little rock flour in it):

Green and Little Green Lakes:

Between Snow and Green Lakes:

Right when we got back to Star Lake, these guys were in the process of flushing a few fish in the lake:

The last trip was up Zimmer Creek and 8 plus miles of hiking. We again drove the Jeeps, this time to Round Lake. Then we spent 45 minutes wandering through the brush near Companion Lake before finally locating Trail FS 573 to Lady of the Lake/Zimmer Creek and then taking Trail 574 up Zimmer Creek. There is no signage for FS 573 and it is most definitely not obvious from the Jeep trail. A lot of Trail 574 exists on the map only-no where to be found on the ground.
Mount Zimmer (11,550')

Zimmer Creek:

Falls below Zimmer Lake:

Flowers were everywhere: one very big flower garden:

Parting shot looking east from Goose Lake Jeep trial into main Beartooth Plateau:

There are several more Jeep trails in this area, including Lulu (6943) and Dasiy Pass (3219) roads and one could spend several days just driving. All of it can be done with a more or less stock Jeep but a winch would be highly desirable.

That said, if you get off your duffer, there is just much, much, much more to see-more than a lifetime's worth. My first venture into this area was in either 1964 or 1965. I have logged more than a year's worth of time in it over the last five decades and there are many places I have yet to see. A million acres of some of the best scenery there is. All in all, time well spent.

duffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-09-2012, 10:26 AM   #2
ThrillSeeker
1998 ZJ 

Duffer a very nice write up and great picks too! Some beautiful hiking country for sure. Thank you.

Unread 08-09-2012, 05:21 PM   #3
lupinsea
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Wow, that looks like a goregous setting. Wonderful pictures, thanks for sharing. I'll have to remember that if I ever get out to MT.
Unread 08-09-2012, 06:18 PM   #4
jgw1985

Awesome pics, looks beautiful!
jgw1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-10-2012, 12:59 PM   #5
bobjp

Awesome. It must be amazing to have stuff like that right in your backyard.

I was just in Yellowstone 2 weeks ago, but coming all the way from Michigan I didn't have an opportunity to do any trails. Your pictures make me wish I'd gone north instead of south on the way back. I was dying to get off the pavement and go exploring.

I also got frustrated with drivers in Yellowstone. If they want to see an animal they just stop smack in the middle of the road and get out of their cars. You don't need to stop and look at every freaking bison you see, they're EVERYWHERE.
Unread 08-17-2012, 02:42 PM   #6
TAE73

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobjp View Post

I also got frustrated with drivers in Yellowstone. If they want to see an animal they just stop smack in the middle of the road and get out of their cars. You don't need to stop and look at every freaking bison you see, they're EVERYWHERE.
We have a name for people like that... FT (F*cking Tourist)
TAE73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-21-2012, 08:38 AM   #7
Bear304inc
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAE73

We have a name for people like that... FT (F*cking Tourist)
Op,, awesome write up thanx for sharing it.
Ft's- around here are called shoebies,, ha...
Bear304inc is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-23-2012, 08:36 PM   #8
yoda13
Force Wheeler

2007 JK Wrangler 

great writeup and pics...thanks for sharing
2007 White Jeep Wrangler X-auto, black freedom top, 15x8 Pro Comp Rock Crawlers, 33x12.5x15 BFG KM2s, Superchips Flashpaq, 2" OME Spring Lift, Bilsteins, Rusty's Adjustable front and rear trac-bar, JKS Quicker Disconnects, Rusty's adjustable lower control arms (front and rear), PolyPerformance adjustable upper control arms (front and rear), OEM Rubicon Rock Rails, Finishlinewest Stonehenge Series rear bumper, Smittybuilt winch, Body Armor Front High Clearance Bumper w/ KC Highlights mounted, Roadmaster towbar, Valley 2" receiver hitch, Skid Row Engine Transmission skid, sPod switching system, KC Highlights windshield mounted lights, Delta replacement non-quadbar xenon headlamps, and Bestop saddlebags-Member of the United Four Wheel Drive Association and Blue Ribbon Coalition, †John 3:16†

RIP Mrs. yoda13... My life is better for having had you in it and you made me a better man...I can't wait to see you again...I love you always and forever, and for all eternity

If you want to help the sport of off-roading, and protect your right to do so, please visit the Envirobeat
forum...

yoda13 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.