The Gold Road to La Paz - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Trail Reports & Pictures > The Gold Road to La Paz

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRubicon Express Suspensions from CCOR 706-207-4140Smittybilt Hard Tops @ Oconee Off-Road! 706-534-9955

Unread 03-16-2013, 07:10 PM   #1
Diamond-x
1991 XJ Cherokee 

The Gold Road to La Paz

The Bradshaw Trail was established in the early 1860's as a way for gold miners to get to La Paz, Arizona where gold had been found. This attracted many miners from the Sierra foothills. The trail went from near Palm Springs to south of Blythe then North to La Paz, north of today's Ehrenberg Az.

There is about 70 miles of the Bradshaw Trail left from the Salton Sea to the Colorado river.

In early March of 2013 we visited. We took I-10 East from San Dimas to Chiriaco summit and saw the Patton Museum.

Here they have a display of ultimate off-road vehicles

The we continued East to Wileys Well where we turned south and drove to where the pavement ends and our off-road adventure begins, about 10 miles from the highway.

This is Coon Hollow Campground:

We found some gold flake in the Quartz here:

We saw concrete filled practice bombs, just South of the trail is a bombing range:

We took Red Canyon Jeep Trail 6 miles north of the Bradshaw. It was a great ride!

Our campspot for the night was miles from anywhere/anyone, the best I've been to. We sat around talking, looking at the stars and enjoyed a satisfying meal:

Saw the old Kaiser RR, a bad place to break down.

The train hasn't run for years:

Here's the old trestle over Salt Creek

Miss Miss-fire:

Christmas Ordnance?

We reached the shores of the Salton Sea. What a cesspool.

We then drove North West on the 111 to the I-10 and back through the Inland Empire home to our soft beds.

This was an easy Adventure Trip, with some neats sites, history and a little gold flake.
The Bradshaw itself can be done in a two wheel drive vehicle. Red Canyon Jeep Trail is a 4WD trail, lots of fun with some steep or sandy parts.

Diamond-x is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-18-2013, 09:23 AM   #2
JAR-IA-XJ
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Nice pics and report!

I just bought a XJ to fix up for some family trail/camping experiences. TJ just didn't have enough room
JAR-IA-XJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-18-2013, 11:13 AM   #3
Diamond-x
1991 XJ Cherokee 

Thanks, it was a fun trip. I love the XJ platform, especially the ability to lock it all up.

So where would you wheel it in Iowa? I've been to Council Bluffs and it was flat as far as the eye could see.
Unread 03-18-2013, 07:28 PM   #4
JAR-IA-XJ
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diamond-x View Post
Thanks, it was a fun trip. I love the XJ platform, especially the ability to lock it all up.

So where would you wheel it in Iowa? I've been to Council Bluffs and it was flat as far as the eye could see.
Yeah, Iowa's not going to be very helpful to me heh :/

Will be doing some traveling to other states, also have some land I go out on and just chill. No houses or man made objects in sight. Little wheeling and camping with lots of hiking and wildlife to check out!
Unread 03-18-2013, 08:49 PM   #5
Diamond-x
1991 XJ Cherokee 

The expedition(long flat trips with stops along the way) stuff can be cool. Lewis and Clark traveled near so there must be some historical points also.

Be sure to post up pics as you build it, it's always cool to see.
Unread 03-19-2013, 04:20 PM   #6
JAR-IA-XJ
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diamond-x View Post
The expedition(long flat trips with stops along the way) stuff can be cool. Lewis and Clark traveled near so there must be some historical points also.

Be sure to post up pics as you build it, it's always cool to see.
Will do.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.