Ginther Trail, Matthews NC 9/9/10 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Trail Reports & Pictures > Ginther Trail, Matthews NC 9/9/10

FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits

Unread 09-09-2010, 06:51 PM   #1
MikeUnlimited04
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Ginther Trail, Matthews NC 9/9/10

Went wheeling with a buddy of mine, just thought I would post some pics.
Ginther trail is a legal wheeling trail, A sign IS posted. There are a lot more obstacles I didnt think to take pictures of. I dont think a Jeep on anything less than 33's could make it through a lot of it. The trail can get pretty narrow at places. I did come across a bit of mud but it hasnt rained here in a good month so most of it was dried up, like you will see in the pictures going through the creek bed. The trail covers a good couple of miles and splits off in many directions that I didnt get to explore this time around. If any of this was slick it wouldve been MUCH more difficult. The pictures dont really do the beauty of this place justice. Sorry for the poor grammar, I am exhausted. Oh, and it doesnt help that all of these are cellphone pics =/

SAME TRAIL DIFFERENT DAY

Silver JEEP Club Member #36
MikeUnlimited04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-09-2010, 09:39 PM   #2
igrok
2007 JK Wrangler 

ummm, I didn't see ANYTHING that would require 33's on that trail. however, good find for that neck of the woods. You're only a couple of hours from URE, you been there yet?
Unread 09-10-2010, 06:25 AM   #3
MikeUnlimited04
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by igrok View Post
ummm, I didn't see ANYTHING that would require 33's on that trail. however, good find for that neck of the woods. You're only a couple of hours from URE, you been there yet?
There really arent many trails around here at all =/ This was a lucky find.

I guess you had to be there... Pictures always make a trail obstacle look easier than it does when youre actually there. I say you need 33's just for clearance around the pumpkin. I really wish I had taken more pictures. Some of the trail was so rutted out even my jeep got high centered. Riding one tire on the center and another on the side wasnt really an option.

My buddy rode down there with his XJ on 31s and a little bit of lift. He was too worried about breaking something =/

Its funny you bring up URE, we began planning a trip down there this fall! I cant wait! I have heard nothing but good things.

Unread 09-10-2010, 11:52 AM   #4
igrok
2007 JK Wrangler 

You will really like URE! here's some pics to tease ya...

Unread 09-10-2010, 07:31 PM   #5
IPA
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeUnlimited04 View Post
Ginther trail is a legal wheeling trail, A sign IS posted.
How do you get to the trail head?

Thanks!
Unread 09-11-2010, 12:20 AM   #6
_Yeti_
2005 TJ Wrangler 

URE is fun. If you have any questions let us know. Oh, and Uwharrie can be done stock, although some places will require some carefull placement of tires. Some more teaser shots for you:

Unread 09-11-2010, 05:58 AM   #7
MikeUnlimited04
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by IPA View Post
How do you get to the trail head?

Thanks!
There are a couple of ways to get on it... I take Highway 74 towards Charlotte into Matthews. Its right past the 485 exit in a shopping center on the left hand side if youre driving towards charlotte.

A REALLY close address: Sub Station II 11500 East Independence Boulevard, Matthews, NC. 28105

The trails entrance is to the right of the radioshack/substation shopping center. Its literally a little gravel driveway that turns into trail with a sign posted on a tree.

They are great four wheeler trails too! Personally, I would wait til it rains to make thigns a bit more interesting!

Unread 09-11-2010, 06:02 AM   #8
IPA
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Thanks for the info!

My Jeep is stock and I really don't like getting into mud on the lousy tires I have, so might go see what I can do there this weekend while its still dry.

Thanks again for the info!
Unread 09-11-2010, 06:08 AM   #9
MikeUnlimited04
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by IPA View Post
Thanks for the info!

My Jeep is stock and I really don't like getting into mud on the lousy tires I have, so might go see what I can do there this weekend while its still dry.

Thanks again for the info!
Its pretty easy to get lost out there though... The trail ends up splitting off at forks in like 10 different places. some of them lead you in a big circle and others take you farther down. When you come across the first mudhole... go through it and you will eventually come to the creek. If you follow that path that doesnt go through the mudhole you will end up back at the start haha.

EDIT: The mud itself wasnt really bad at all. Not deep, and only soft about an inch or two in.

Unread 09-11-2010, 06:13 AM   #10
MikeUnlimited04
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Yeti_ View Post
URE is fun. If you have any questions let us know. Oh, and Uwharrie can be done stock, although some places will require some carefull placement of tires. Some more teaser shots for you:

Im feeling a road trip.

Unread 09-11-2010, 04:22 PM   #11
yoda13
Force Wheeler

2007 JK Wrangler 

Both places look like fun...
2007 White Jeep Wrangler X-auto, black freedom top, 15x8 Pro Comp Rock Crawlers, 33x12.5x15 BFG KM2s, Superchips Flashpaq, 2" OME Spring Lift, Bilsteins, Rusty's Adjustable front and rear trac-bar, JKS Quicker Disconnects, Rusty's adjustable lower control arms (front and rear), PolyPerformance adjustable upper control arms (front and rear), OEM Rubicon Rock Rails, Finishlinewest Stonehenge Series rear bumper, Smittybuilt winch, Body Armor Front High Clearance Bumper w/ KC Highlights mounted, Roadmaster towbar, Valley 2" receiver hitch, Skid Row Engine Transmission skid, sPod switching system, KC Highlights windshield mounted lights, Delta replacement non-quadbar xenon headlamps, and Bestop saddlebags-Member of the United Four Wheel Drive Association and Blue Ribbon Coalition, †John 3:16†

RIP Mrs. yoda13... My life is better for having had you in it and you made me a better man...I can't wait to see you again...I love you always and forever, and for all eternity

If you want to help the sport of off-roading, and protect your right to do so, please visit the Envirobeat
forum...

yoda13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-24-2011, 06:05 PM   #12
toothmonger
2012 JK Wrangler 

Just what I was looking for! Thanks for the info.
toothmonger is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-17-2011, 03:40 PM   #13
TaylorJeffreyJR
1998 TJ Wrangler 

I'm planning a trip up to URE after thanksgiving the 25th-29th.
TaylorJeffreyJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-18-2011, 08:36 AM   #14
1stblack97ZJ
1997 ZJ 

is the trail still there? last I heard it was closed, but that was 4 or 5 months ago. I live in matthews, so this could be awesome for me, as I don't always have the time or money to drive all the way to URE.
Plenty of lights
1stblack97ZJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-19-2011, 07:32 AM   #15
bsutton
1983 CJ7 

i've spoken to a few folks that go over there. 1st, cops have been there and said it was ok to go there. it's all second hand of course. Once i get my hub replaced, i'd go over there with you..
post up and let me know. best bet is if you see a cop, ask him...

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.