Fairbanks, Alaska Three Kings 9/11 Run - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Trail Reports & Pictures > Fairbanks, Alaska Three Kings 9/11 Run

OPTIC ARMOR WINDOWS all sale now !!!!!!!!Spartan Locker Special Forum Prices Dana 30 44 60 Ford 8.850" LED Light Bar with Overhead Mounting Brackets $69

Unread 09-10-2005, 05:37 PM   #1
TJVigilante
Web Wheeler

Fairbanks, Alaska Three Kings 9/11 Run

First off, this wasn't done ON 9/11, it was a Rememberance run that was being planned for some time.
Well, a run that was hyped up by the local club turned out to be a flop as only two people showed to make the run, because most of the people wanting to go are in the Air Force/Army and worked very late Friday night. I stayed in there and toughed it out in my '00 sport along with an Air Force guy in his toyota pickup. Last time I tried this trail it was dry as a bone, lots of dust, and hard packed soil. This time, I was expecting it to be muddy and sticky, because of the rain we've been having this past week. Turns out the trail wasn't that bad. There was some mud in a few pits, but nothing too sticky or deep so we just muscled through it. The BFG AT's really kicked tail out there; rocks, mud, hills, ruts, nothing stopped me. It seemed the wetter it got the better they performed. The only big issue I had overall was my really short gearing. Stock NP231 and 3.07's on 31's really take the juice out of the hill climbs in 4Hi. Once I switched to 4Lo it was just fine.

Jeep rubbed alot over the berms, but flexed like a champion. In fact, the guy in the Toyota with a 3" lift and 33's was saying how he was all jealous of my flex, he kept dog-legging it over the cross-angled fire berms about 2-3 feet high off the trail. IFS is a bish, isn't it?

Lots of hunters(poachers?) on the trail in ATV's, I almost got excited when I saw tow rigs at the trailhead, never figured traffic would be an issue. We tooled around up at the top of Three Kings a little, posed a bit on the rocks, tried going down the other side and up the next big hill, went through some fresh dark soil(thick mud), again no stuck, then stopped and turned around when we got to some ham-sized SHARP rocks in a field, didn't feel like popping a brand new tire that far from civilization. In all, it was fun, definitely would have liked to see more people along for the last(maybe) run before the snow hits. Spent only 25 bucks in gas the whole trip, that was cool. I just can't wait for a lift, 8.8 rear, 4.10's and some 33's. Not to mention some skidplates(Nth Degree lifts are looking mighty tasty right now with all their included skidplates for U-joints, driveshafts, everything. No big breakage, but I think a rock that I dragged along for a few feet snagged my tailpipe/muffler and gave me some nice noise and vibration at idle.

The Views were nice, as long as we were still under the cloud layer. Got some pics before the camera batteries died on me:

I was a foot from the 8' ledge in front of me, you can see the rock then the soil beyond it. Pictures should really come in 3-D.

Last edited by TJVigilante; 09-10-2005 at 06:42 PM..
TJVigilante is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-10-2005, 05:58 PM   #2
NEWtoTHEjeepLIF
Web Wheeler

Maybe nobody showed because its only 9/10

Those pics are amazing!! Thats why I want to take the rig too AK
NEWtoTHEjeepLIF is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-10-2005, 06:00 PM   #3
TJVigilante
Web Wheeler

It was a 9/11 Rememberance run...I couldn't fit it into the title. The club meeting is tomorrow anyway.

And thanks. I just wish that the sky was clear so I could take some real scenery shots. That's the second time in a row my pictures were ruined, first time was by low-lying forest fire smoke.
TJVigilante is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.