Evans Creek, WA 6.5.2011 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Trail Reports & Pictures > Evans Creek, WA 6.5.2011

*VOTE NOW Help Metalcloak Giveaway an XJ Suspension*Corbeau Seats & Harness from CCOR!Bds suspension discount

Unread 07-16-2011, 11:04 PM   #1
RaggedOleMan
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Evans Creek, WA 6.5.2011

RaggedOleMan 2005 Tj locked f/r on 33's

RBXj Locked f/r on 34's

This was back in early June and I just got the photo's uploaded. It's difficult to remember the sequence of events of that day, but it's easy to recall the company I kept!

The photo's above were taken at the end of the lower 311. The following two photo's below were taken at the outcropping of rock on the 196. That trails starts out with a modest right turn over a series of embedded rocks. Then one is faced with another set of rocks that can be a little less forgiving.

In the last two years I've broken an axle u-joint, and a Superior Evolution series CCE shaft. I try not to beat up my junk. That said, the second rock outcropping there on the 196 has been my nemesis since first we met. To date, that section beat me 5 out of 12 times. Could be seven out of twelve, but I don't want to admit it...anyway, this particular day I got my introduction into fixin' my heap on the trail. I sheared two ears off my passenger front u-joint. Rob (RBXj) came prepared with a spare set of d/30 shafts with fresh u-joints installed, so I had an easy time of the repair. Thank you, Rob...

I should mention that the front shafts are Superior Evolution Series, 27 spline. And though the u-joint was toast, the yolk & shaft was fine. That said, the Superior Evolution series C-Clip Eliminator shafts in the rear failed, snapped the drivers side shaft and took the locker out with it, though tat was at a later time. The 27 spline evo shafts aren't half of what they're cracked up to be in my experience & opinion.

Beyond that Superior didn't honor the warranty. And, they essentially called me a liar when it came to their mishandling of the issue. For the record, I could care less that they didn't honor the warranty on shafts I didn't buy retail, they got on my bad side for quoting me a price, then not shipping the order. Evidently because they quoted the wrong price. The thing is, they never told me they quoted the wrong price. After many months of waiting, I finally got Mac on the phone, and he said his guys told me they quoted the wrong price, and then updated me. They did NOT. No way. Had they told me, I would have gladly paid the difference. But they didn't, didn't call, didn't return my calls, nothing. Would never buy anything from those guys again. Piss on them.

The front u-joint failed (I believe) because I had my wheels turned hard passenger as I was sliding backwards off the rock. I knew better than to have my wheels turned hard while plowing forward or backward, but sometimes one can have a senior moment, eh? Then too, that u-joint was a "test" u-joint from MrBlaine. It failed the test...yes, he later sent me a replacement 760-x.

Rob acquired a small window rash on the 102 that day. You know that section about 500' or so up from the bottom while going UP the 102? The new "Window Breaker" section of trail for any rig with a glass rear quarter panel on the drivers side. The stump there reaches out and grabs your rig, especially if it's a bit muddy...

End of the lower 311 before you get to the right hand turn for the upper 311...jusy a bit of snow.

Here's Rob coming up that last section of the lower 311 (I think...). CRS moment...

Short write-up...fun day. Not sure if it was the day I took these photo's or the week or so before, but we did the lower 311, the 196, the 197, the 198 and then dinner at The Rainier Bar & Grill in Enumclaw...great day!

RaggedOleMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-19-2011, 03:18 AM   #2
RBxj
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Well John that was a combination of our two trips 6/5 and 6/24, but in retrospect it seemed like one continuous day to me. What one heck of a time. More pics here....................
http://s260.photobucket.com/albums/i...vans%206-5-11/

http://s260.photobucket.com/albums/i...ght64/6-24-11/

Thanks for the memories

Hasta La Vista Amigo

Lookin' forward to some So Cal reports.
Unread 07-19-2011, 07:21 PM   #3
yelset
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RBxj View Post
X2, and knowing you John, they will be some quality reports, too.

Our neck of the woods won't be the same.

Mike
Unread 09-23-2011, 08:20 PM   #4
RaggedOleMan
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by yelset View Post
X2, and knowing you John, they will be some quality reports, too.

Our neck of the woods won't be the same.

Mike
Quote:
Originally Posted by RBxj View Post
Well John that was a combination of our two trips 6/5 and 6/24, but in retrospect it seemed like one continuous day to me. What one heck of a time. More pics here....................
http://s260.photobucket.com/albums/i...vans%206-5-11/

http://s260.photobucket.com/albums/i...ght64/6-24-11/

Thanks for the memories

Hasta La Vista Amigo

SoCal reports, eh? Yeah well, the only rocks I saw was the one I crawled out from under!

Only got to wheel once with a young fellow named Andrew. He took me to a boulder strewn area and showed me how it's done...I did two or three of the obstacles, but figured I'd pass on some of the others for the time being.

Then before I knew it, my time down there was up, and never got to try it again. I'll be back in October to talk story of how I snatched the devils catch & ran the hounds of hell...

I'll be back in our neck of the woods before too long!

Later,
~jL
Unread 09-24-2011, 02:58 AM   #5
xcape2usa

Great pics. Thanks for posting. Evan's has been my nemesis for the 2 runs I've done there. First BeastLee acquired a newly designed stubby door handle, and then 311 i believe is where i sadly tipped my truck!!! I will "Defend-er" and divert mishap to pilot error!! But I will be back.....
272853_10150256123514693_673114692_7179713_5461117_o.jpg   285477_10150256126114693_673114692_7179744_2211002_n.jpg   securedownload.jpg   2eppxk9.jpg   321241_284384588255050_220931301267046_1135598_643767161_n.jpg  

xcape2usa is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-24-2011, 07:55 PM   #6
RaggedOleMan
2005 TJ Wrangler 

I read/followed your trail write up along with Lupinsea's wonderful photography & write up. That spot where you flopped...was that near the top of the last hill climb on the upper 311? I was in a group a year or so ago where a guy flopped in the darn near the same spot. Glad to read/see you & your rig came out of it relatively unscathed...
Unread 10-03-2011, 09:15 AM   #7
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaggedOleMan View Post
I'll be back in October to talk story of how I snatched the devils catch & ran the hounds of hell...
Sounds like a very interesting tale! Will there be a spelling bee?
Unread 11-12-2011, 08:41 PM   #8
RaggedOleMan
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post
Sounds like a very interesting tale! Will there be a spelling bee?

Well, you are a hound dog, aren't you?

Regarding a speeling bee; A well written line stolen from a James Taylor song. Doubtfull you'd know anything about him. However, name the song and you can have your spelling bee. I'll even give you a hint;

"Little dog David I must look like a fool! I should have remembered you'd be foregtting my smell, well...give me a week or two, to recapture my cool...I've got stories to tell, about how I snatched the devils catch and I ran the hounds of hell..."

There it is, in context. Now, about that spelling bee... "I'm yer huckleberry...Say when..."
Unread 12-11-2011, 09:07 PM   #9
chadlanc

haha just hangin out
Quote:

I read/followed your trail write up along with Lupinsea's wonderful photography & write up. That spot where you flopped...was that near the top of the last hill climb on the upper 311? I was in a group a year or so ago where a guy flopped in the darn near the same spot. Glad to read/see you & your rig came out of it relatively unscathed...
chadlanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-09-2012, 07:48 PM   #10
PhilipJ
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:

Way late here (just lookin' through old trip reports) but yes, that's the second-to-last corner on 311, right where the memorial used to be for the guy that got crushed between two rigs. IIRC he was rigging up a tow strap or winch line to the lower rig when the upper one's parking brake gave way and rolled down into him.

Anyways, the Defender went a little too wide right and there's some weird cross-camber in that spot which puts your wheels on some ground/in the air depending on how you are lined up, kind of a teeter-totter effect. I think a winch was hooked up at that point and pulled the passenger front into a little hole while it was turned left, giving it just enough high-center gravity to flop it onto its fender. Its left-rear was up on a smaller rock that helped pitch it forward (you can see it in the uphill shot.) Thankfully no one was hurt and the only real damage was a pushed-in fender (I don't even think the paint scratched). It was such a fine margin that it flopped back over on its own when lupinsea tugged a strap snug on its rocker that we were going to lower it back down with.

The best way to take that corner (if you don't have lockers) is to put your rocker guard on that big rock and just crank left, letting the steel do its work.

Cherokee Of The Month Winnar! - September 2012
PhilipJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.