Evans Creek Memorial Day - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Trail Reports & Pictures > Evans Creek Memorial Day

Savvy Billet LED Tail LightsLight up the holidays with LED lights from JeepHutIntroducing MONSTALINERô UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 05-31-2010, 10:05 PM   #1
jeepster425
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Evans Creek Memorial Day

Well we went wheelin up at evans creek today.

It was a test run for my brand new D44. And also my fixed lockers, and my
33x13.5 super swampers, and my tube doors.

It has been 3 1/2 months since i've wheeled my jeep, and 2 and a half of those was waiting for my axle to come in.

I bought the swampers at the puyallup 4x4 swap meet and i've been itching to get them broke in.

Went with RaggedOleMan, My old man in his "Bastard Toy", and my friend in his Rhino, and i carried along a few of my friends.

we started on the 311, and hells gate was a breeze as they filled it in with rock. Then came window breaker hill. RaggedOleMan crawled right up it, I had to winch going around the corner, the Rhino crawled up it, and my dad in his toy had some trouble, but made it up W/O winching.Well if i hadn't of busted out my window last wheelin trip there, I definetly would of busted it out today, I cracked my plywood window.

Then we went on the upper 311 trail, no problems there.

Then we went on the 520 to the 198 trail. We went down the 198, which you all know has a big wall of mud on the left hand side. Now that was fun. When i went down it, i bent in my mirror, the snorkle got a bunch of mud inside the tip. When john(RaggedOleMan) went down it, mud was flinging inside his cab because of his mirror. When my dad went down it, he got a new dent in his fender, and when the Rhino came down, he started on the right hand side and just slid into the wall.

After that, we went to the bottom of the 102 trail, and to get there, we took the puddle jumper road. Went up the 102 just fine, but going around one of the right hand corners a couple turns up was pretty tough. I kept on sliding into a hole on my right side, and finally after a few tries, i take a line far to the right, and I mean far!! I was up on a log and root, feeling like I could flip at any time. My dad had troubles too, but John just flew right up it. On that corner too is where my dad lost passenger side mirror.

So we get to the top, and we decide to go up the 198 where we came down(wall of mud). Well john got up it just fine, Then the Rhino tried. He got about half way up and couldn't go any farther. He scrapped his whole right side, ripped his cover on the roof, and filled his whole bed with mud. He backed down and let us go up. My dad had no troubles, and neither did I. When we got to the top, we turned around and went back down it again.

Well when we got to the bottom, i looked up at my roof rack and notice it is all tweaked and barely hanging on. So i must have hit it on a tree when I went up it the last time.

here i am going around the corner, where i cracked my plywood and had to winch

I also busted my mirror

winching

the Rhino

My dad coming up the 311

Got caught up here for a few minutes

The line up on lunch break

The 102 trail

mud from the 198 trail

Notice anything wrong?

Hit my hi-lift jack on something, which tweaked the whole roof rack brackets and ripped out the rails.

"my jeep burns the gas your prius saves"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch8672 View Post
Leather makes me sweat like Kanye West at a David Allan Coe concert...

__=====,o00o,
//__l_l_,\____\,_____
l_/-\_l__l_/-\_|
lllllll|
{o}_} {o}_}--o-}_}
jeepster425 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-31-2010, 10:06 PM   #2
jeepster425
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:

__=====,o00o,
//__l_l_,\____\,_____
l_/-\_l__l_/-\_|
lllllll|
{o}_} {o}_}--o-}_}
Unread 05-31-2010, 10:07 PM   #3
jeepster425
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Notice how you can see everyones scrapes from coming down the 198

Quote:

__=====,o00o,
//__l_l_,\____\,_____
l_/-\_l__l_/-\_|
lllllll|
{o}_} {o}_}--o-}_}
Unread 05-31-2010, 10:47 PM   #4
jeepster425
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Notice how in the earlier pics the "Bastard Toy" has a passenger mirror... it got ripped off on the 102 at the tight and getting tougher by the week right hand corner. The RaggedOleMan and my dad went there 2 weeks ago and that right hand corner "problem" was not there. Also both front fenders got some new pin stripping dents going up and down the 198.

Quote:

__=====,o00o,
//__l_l_,\____\,_____
l_/-\_l__l_/-\_|
lllllll|
{o}_} {o}_}--o-}_}
Unread 06-01-2010, 12:03 AM   #5
RaggedOleMan
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Great pics, R&R!

The "Window Breaker Hill" climb lived up to it's name, this day...the upper 311 was a bit on the gnarly side, too! Great trails right now!

After the upper 311 we hit the lower 520 and got to the first switchback and came to a 15 minute x3 (+/-) standstill. A gazillion young people crammed into 2 Xj's and 1 Tj, weren't getting anywhere. They'd never been there before, they're rigs were bone stock, not-locked, I think one had a 2" budget boost, and they ALL had street tires...They'd get about 20 feet and would get stuck again.

This went on for about three more times I think, before they got to the second set of switchbacks where they were able to get the heck out of the way. They were having a ball, though. Just jumping on the bumpers to get traction, tugging each other, what ever it took. We passed them about three hours later on one of the main roads. I figure it must have taken them that long to get through the 520/198 and get down...

Yesterday, the 102 hill climb was a beast. Had to winch at that one spot/roots and such, about 500' from the bottom as did several other Toys and a Cj did. It had rained all night and I was expecting a winch fest climbing the 102 today, but, wouldn't you know it, we all just drove right up it as pretty as you please. I'll never understand this sport...

Further up, at one of the right hand switch backs where you have to pivot around a tree on the right, the trail has gotten dug out pretty bad. That's where Ryan's old man and the fruit of his loins had some difficulty. I think that's where Rog busted out his passenger mirror. Hell, he was lucky, if his passenger window had been rolled up, his passenger would have had a face and lap full of glass...nasty spot right there...

Great to meet, Gage & Ryan's other friends out there today! Really sorry I never got to say good buy to the Rhino and its crew...great kids, did a helluva job on that thing. I was truly impressed. It was an honor to meet you all today...

~jL

Last edited by RaggedOleMan; 06-03-2010 at 01:28 AM..
RaggedOleMan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-02-2010, 02:35 AM   #6
PepCsLJ
2006 LJ Wrangler 

thanks for the trip report and pics. Looks like a good day.
PepCsLJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-02-2010, 11:06 AM   #7
grogie
M-F: Cell Block #4533

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Wow, that looked slick! That is tough about your roof rack. Some battle scars indeed!

Awesome pictures, and thanks for sharing!

Red Jeep Club #345
2006 TJ Sport
2004 KJ Limited
2013 Off-Road Trailer

grogie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-07-2010, 09:40 PM   #8
aussie1
2001 TJ Wrangler 

those look like really fun trails.
aussie1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.