Epic 5-Week Cross-Country Jeep Safari - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Trail Reports & Pictures > Epic 5-Week Cross-Country Jeep Safari

JK Vent Covers - NalinMFGRCV Axles at CCORPoison spyder items @ oconee off road 706 534 9955

Unread 11-02-2010, 02:18 PM   #16
SpaceWrangler
Gnarly Adventurer

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Location: Where the Girls Dance Different With Familiar Grace
A day trip into San Francisco, with photos from Coit Tower...

Coit Tower. Photo from staysf.com

The financial district, with the pyramid-shaped TransAmerica Tower being a famous San Francisco landmark. On a previous trip, my daughter and I ran up and laid our hands on the TransAmerica Tower, so it's ours now.

A bit of fog moving into the Golden Gate, a common occurance.

Alcatraz Island.

Looking west. I kept looking for Dirty Harry, jumping from rooftop to rooftop

Pier 39, home to one of the best restaurants I've ever had the pleasure to experience, Swiss Louis. Don't let the name fool you, it's top-notch Italian cuisine.

We spent a few hours in Chinatown also, which I thoroughly enjoyed... the sights of all the foreign and unfamiliar items in the shops, nearly all the signs in Chinese, and the sounds of the locals speaking everything but English. If one were to ignore the American cars on the streets
and the English street signs, you just might think you were a bit further west than California.

Val, Eli and I (Brian had to work, poor devil) took a day trip wheeling up to the summit of Mount Diablo. As it turned out, the road was not unpaved (it seems every dirt road in California is behind a locked gate), but we had a great time regardless.

Eli (nearly 2) seems to be digging his first Jeep ride. Photos by my sister Valerie.

Unread 11-02-2010, 02:58 PM   #17
SpaceWrangler
Gnarly Adventurer

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Eli helps me give the Yeep a once-over before my return trip home.

Forty years ago, this could have been me and Russell. I love the continuity.

Photo by Val.
Unread 11-02-2010, 06:11 PM   #18
jacksonjeeper
2000 TJ Wrangler 

safari

I would love to do a similar trip like this someday. I have the same set-up on my jeep. Just curious what kind of mileage you averaged in the jeep. Once again, awsome trip!
jacksonjeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-02-2010, 06:16 PM   #19
SpaceWrangler
Gnarly Adventurer

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacksonjeeper View Post
Just curious what kind of mileage you averaged in the jeep.
About 16 mpg on Interstates at 70 mph, about 18 mpg on secondary roads with lower speeds.
Unread 11-02-2010, 06:41 PM   #20
vanillathrilla
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Incredible journey, and I'm thankful you're such a good writer to be able to narrate the story with everything you saw and did along the way. Great pictures, too, for that matter.

I'm envious!
'99 TJ Sport | Rampage Frameless | 33x12.50x15 Goodyear MTR/K's | Poweraid TBS | Flowmaster 40 series | Herculined | 15% tint | LED interior lighting | AtoZ front/rear bumper | AtoZ tube rocker guards | Kenwood Excelon KDC-X993BT | Kicker 6.5's in soundbar | Alpine Type-R 4x6's in dash.
vanillathrilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-02-2010, 07:58 PM   #21
SpaceWrangler
Gnarly Adventurer

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks, dude. You're too kind.
Unread 11-03-2010, 03:50 PM   #22
SpaceWrangler
Gnarly Adventurer

2001 TJ Wrangler 

October 1 - Sequoia National Park

I left Val & Brian’s place on Friday, October 1st. Instead of heading straight home, I drove south to experience the Giant Sequoia redwoods in King’s Canyon National Park and Sequoia National Park up in the Sierra Nevada mountains east of Fresno, CA. These are the Giant Sequoia redwoods (sequoiadendron giganteum) which are thicker than the Coast Redwoods (sequoia sempervirens), but not quite as tall. Compared side by side, the Giant Sequoias appear subbier, but they are larger overall, measured by volume.

The Giant Sequoias of Sequoia National Park grow at an elevation of 6000 - 7000 feet, which must be perfect for them, as they can live to be well over 2000 years old, and are reluctant to grow to that age in other locales.

The General Grant tree near Hume CA in the Sequoia National Forest.

The Fallen Monarch, a deadfall Sequoia log that has been down for a couple hundred years now...

Giant Sequoias in the Giant Forest, Sequoia National Park...

The General Sherman tree in the Giant Forest, Sequoia National Park. This sequoia has the distinction of being the largest tree on earth, with a height of nearly 275 feet, 36 feet in diameter, and an age of 2300-2700 years old.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/General_Sherman_(tree)

The “footprint” of the General Sherman tree in the walkway to the tree.

Winding my way south on the General’s Highway, leaving the Giant Forest behind. A couple photos of the Sierra Nevadas on the southern end of the park...

I got back on the freeway below Fresno and spent the night in Kingsburg, CA.

346 miles, 4526 total.
Unread 11-03-2010, 08:46 PM   #23
SChiaradonna
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Can not begin to tell you how jealous I am. Awesome write up. Thanks for sharing! And keep that adventurous spirit a live. I'll take that excursion one day myself.
2002 Jeep Wrangler TJ, Engine: 4.0L 6 cylinder, Dana 30 front with OX Locker, Dana 44 rear with Ected Lokcer, Geared at 4.56, Tom Woods Drive-shaft, 33 Engineer Transfer Case Skid, 33” BFG M/T KM2, ARB Safari Snorkel, LoD Front Bumper, LoD Extreme Duty Rear Bumper
LoD Rocker Guards, Warn 12k Power Plant Winch,JkS Quicker Disco's, 4” Super-lift Rockrunner Lift, 1.25” JKS Body Lift
SChiaradonna is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-03-2010, 09:17 PM   #24
SpaceWrangler
Gnarly Adventurer

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Saturday, Oct. 2 - Kingsburg CA to Fallon, NV

I headed back north from the Fresno area and crossed the Sierra Nevada mountains east of Stockton CA...

I crossed over into Nevada and drove on to Fallon, NV where I stopped for the night. 357 miles, 4883 total.

Sunday Oct. 3 - Fallon, NV to Delta, UT

Drove across Nevada on U.S. Highway 50, “The Loneliest Road in America”. Traffic was practically non-existent, and I truly enjoyed the beauty of the empty desert as I cruised through.

I stopped for the night in Delta, UT. 412 miles, 5295 total.

Mon. Oct 4 - Delta, UT to Castle Rock CO

Interstate 70 near Green River UT...

Gotta love the irony...

Not far after this spot I passed by the Highway 191 Exit to Moab UT, home to some of the best four-wheeling in the USA. But by this time I had already been on the road for a month and had had my Forrest Gump moment...

“I’m pretty tired. I think I’ll go home now.”

A couple weeks in Moab and southeast Colorado will be a walkabout for a future time. I waved toward Moab as I passed by... ‘See you in a bit.’

I entered the Rocky Mountains in Grand junction CO and continued east toward Denver, with I-70 tucked in right beside the Colorado River, and then the Eagle River, for well over a hundred miles. I-70 then ascends into the heart of the Rockies and crosses Vail Pass at 10,666 feet and a few miles later the Eisenhower-Johnson Memorial Tunnel at an elevation of 11,158 feet, one of the highest vehicular tunnels in the world, and the longest mountain tunnel and the highest point on the U.S. Interstate Highway System.

I stopped for the night in Castle Rock CO, just south of Denver on I-25. 587 miles, 5882 total.

Tues. Oct. 5 - Castle Rock Co to Conway, TX

I took I-25 south to Raton NM, then east on US 87 to Amarillo TX and east on I-40 to Conway TX. I had passed through Raton NM on US 87 westbound on my way out a month earlier, and now here I was again admiring the view toward the opposite direction.

436 miles, 6318 total.

Wed. Oct. 6 - Conway TX to Hazen AR

I-40 east through Texas and across Oklahoma, about 2/3 the way across Arkansas.

Along with listening to my Sirius satellite radio (which I simply couldn’t do without), I play little games to pass the time. I’m able (usually) to recite the U.S Presidents in order, but for some reason in the middle of Oklahoma, I hung up on Number 8. Washington through Jackson was fine, and (William) Harrison through Obama was a piece of cake. But I totally drew a blank on President Number 8 for some reason. For miles and miles I was wracking my brain trying to come up with it, and then finally just gave it up. Pheh.

Then a couple hours later I crossed into Arkansas and passed through the town of Van Buren.

”MARTIN VAN BUREN!!!”

Too funny.

I stopped for the night in Hazen AR, about a hundred miles west of Memphis. 608 miles, 6926 total.

Thurs. Oct 7 - Hazen AR to Home

I made the remaining 500+ miles home without incident in about 11 hours. I thanked God for the wonderful, scenic, and drama-free trip.

In all, I traveled 7,479 miles in 32 days, with not a single mechanical problem. The ol’ girl never skipped a beat. I neither experienced nor witnessed any road rage, nor was anyone even rude. The entire trip was a good experience. In my many travels I have concluded that most people are essentially good and helpful, although I still keep my guard up. You never know sometimes.

Here are links to a couple other Travel Blogs, in case anyone’s interested...

Touring Alaska by motorcycle: Stretch and RocDoc's Most, Most Excellent Alaskan Adventure - ADVrider

The Blue Ridge Parkway by motorcycle: The Blue Ridge Parkway and North Carolina's Outer Banks - ADVrider

Thanks for coming along. We’ll have to do it again sometime.
Unread 11-05-2010, 10:43 AM   #25
Mitchness
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Wow, what a truly epic and all-encompassing documentary of a cross-America tour. Great photography and commentating. I especially liked seeing your experiences of the places I've been to as well. That is quite the undertaking that few have the privilege to lay claim to. Well done, sir. Well done.
Mitchness is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-05-2010, 12:01 PM   #26
roadsuk
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Awesome. Thank you.
roadsuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-05-2010, 02:51 PM   #27
SpaceWrangler
Gnarly Adventurer

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks, dudes. Been back at work for a couple weeks now.

Reality.

Unread 11-11-2010, 05:58 PM   #28
Gymguyjeep
2004 TJ Wrangler 

"I was about ten miles from the nearest paved road, and a good thirty miles from the nearest town. When the sun went down, I didn’t see a single man-made light. Paradise..."

This is my kind of quote about my kind of place. I long for places like this quite often.

1993 XJ Cherokee - 3" Lift, 31" tires
Previous Jeeps - 1981 CJ-5, 1985 CJ-7
Gymguyjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-11-2010, 08:17 PM   #29
D-Morg
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Holy cow! Usually I just skip through the picture on the trip reports, but this one was amazing. Thank you for sharing! Between the pictures and the most excellent commentary, this was defiantly an “epic” adventure…….

Needless to say, this was nothing short of inspiring…… I’m going to go to go check to see how much vacation and funds I have now!
Unread 11-12-2010, 12:53 PM   #30
sandandson
1998 TJ Wrangler 

That was great! Can't wait to do stuff like this with my wife and son when he gets a bit older (he's only 14mo right now).

Thanks for sharing, and what an excellent way to spend time in a Jeep.
sandandson is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.