Elbe Hills ORV 1/29/2011 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Trail Reports & Pictures > Elbe Hills ORV 1/29/2011

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineBill Baird Motorsports DIY parts - NalinMFG.comTJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFG

Unread 01-30-2011, 02:57 PM   #1
RaggedOleMan
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Elbe Hills ORV 1/29/2011

The head count was eleven. We all met up at the South Hill Puyallup Mall by Krispy Crème @ 8:00 am, Saturday, all of us looking forward to a day at Elbe Hills ORV Park. Only three of us had ever been to Elbe. The other 8 were filled with anticipation and recollections of what they’d seen on YouTube or read somewhere on the forums. Twenty-something’s to fifty something’s and everything in-between. There were a few rascals in the bunch…

Many, if not most of the rigs were trailer queens on 35’s to 38’s. Toys, Truggy’s, Jeeps, a Willy’s with Toy running gear…

Carnage; 86 4-Runner flopped on the Alder Loop, A Tj lost a frame mount track bar bolt, the truggy lost his clutch, the 86 Toy with the slick half doors got a few dings as did many of the rest of the troop. We all were able to drive back to the staging area on our own power.

EDIT; I want to add that I run a d35/d30. There's a lot of controversy over the d35, but, I for one have had nothing but outstanding luck with it. That said, I run the Superior Evolution Series 27 spline shafts, and their C-Clip Eliminator (Install link in my signature). I can maneuver any obstacle I can clear (33's...) with confidence in my axle components. Among my points here is that if you're on a tight budget, and want to get your rig built to handle the tough stuff, you can... Also, I ran with 8lbs all around and did NOT disconnect my front disco's...

The entire group ran Sunrise, Mainline & Alder Loop. Seven rigs bailed at around 3:30, and four of us went on to do Gotcha, Swamp & Rainier Vista, ending our day around 6:30. Worth noting is that a few of us tried our luck at the first 500’ or so of the Busy, but decided the conditions were just a bit too rough for the most of us, so we abandoned the Busy this day…

What was noteworthy to me, was that the guys on 33’s did, for the most part, better than the guys on 35’s to 38’s. Suffice it to say I was among those on 33’s… Perhaps it was how our rigs were set up, luck, blessed or who knows what. If there’s a reason for it, I ain’t got a clue what it was. All in all it was a fantabulous day of wheeling!

The Wills is an impostor! Toy frame & running gear with a V8 on 37"'s...

Mike is foolin' about. One of the problems with large groups is that f you want to fool around on an obstacle for a bit, everyone has to wait. I think Mike folded to that pressure and gave up on this one for the overall benefit of the entire group.

Not sure where this one is at. I think it's on the Mainline or Mainline extension. It doesn't look like much, but it was a bugger today. Only the Cj on 38's and the truggy made it over this one, though many others tried...

RaggedOleMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-30-2011, 02:57 PM   #2
RaggedOleMan
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Ryan ultimately gave up on this one like many others did. That's about as far as any of the guys got that tried it, save for the truggy and the Cj on 38's...

Next up is the Truggy;

This was a bit of a bummer to us Jeep guys...until...

Unread 01-30-2011, 03:05 PM   #3
RaggedOleMan
2005 TJ Wrangler 

He's up and over! Others tried but no one else made it over this thing today...

After this we found our way to the BusyWilde, though the sign was gone and we didn't realize we were on the Busy. The truggy (below) had trouble and so the 4 of us that were on the Busy decided to head back to our group...

Below is on the Alder Loop (below). This one gave us some entertainment!

Hey Rob, how's that line working for ya? :-)

After watching Rob in his Xj, Ryan was going to give it hell! Eyeball to eyeball with the dirt wall, eh? Give it hell, Ryan!

Any deeper and that snorkel would have earned its keep!
Unread 01-30-2011, 03:18 PM   #4
RaggedOleMan
2005 TJ Wrangler 

And then....

I think this is Sean...he figured he'd out-smart everyone and take the high road...

Someone pulled out a winch and put him back rubber side down.

Further up the Alder Loop trail....

Even the Truggy had its limits...
Unread 01-30-2011, 03:26 PM   #5
RaggedOleMan
2005 TJ Wrangler 

With them green headlights it looks like a Zombie Hunter! He's on 37's with a V8. Only its 2nd trip out and about, and it did great! Nice work, Rick!

That was all the photo's I took of the large group that day. The followiing few were taken after the majority of the folks left...

Unread 01-30-2011, 03:28 PM   #6
RaggedOleMan
2005 TJ Wrangler 

I hope some of the others took some shots! Anyway, it was a great day! I hope everyone else enjoyed it as much as me!

John L,
Seattle, WA
Unread 01-30-2011, 03:37 PM   #7
sethkins88
2002 TJ Wrangler 

awesome pictures.. that old silver CJ? looks sick. offroading in the rain is honestly my favorite condition to wheel in
sethkins88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-30-2011, 03:44 PM   #8
Unlimitedlou
2005 LJ Wrangler 

That's some nasty looking wheelin'!
Unread 01-30-2011, 04:34 PM   #9
yelset

1999 TJ Wrangler 

John, thanks for inviting me had a great time, as always. Any day wheeling is a good day. Wish I could have contributed more in the photos, but this video was taken with my cell phone. Not bad, I though Sean??? was going to flop again in this shot.

Thanks Rob for the bolt! I could not have made it home without it!

Mike
http://s976.photobucket.com/albums/a...=WP_000195.mp4
Unread 01-30-2011, 04:44 PM   #10
RaggedOleMan
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Mike,. I feel the same, it was a good day. I always enjoy wheeling when you're in the group...thanks for coming! We guys on 33's sure gave it hell, eh? So, who needs 35's + anyway? :-)
Unread 01-30-2011, 05:19 PM   #11
PepCsLJ
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Looks like a fun run. Sorry I missed it. I was at Tahuya. Good thing too. I discovered my front locker wasn't working.
PepCsLJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-30-2011, 08:08 PM   #12
yelset

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaggedOleMan View Post
Mike,. I feel the same, it was a good day. I always enjoy wheeling when you're in the group...thanks for coming! We guys on 33's sure gave it hell, eh? So, who needs 35's + anyway? :-)
Yeah, the 33's did their job once again, but I would really like some Kevlar 35's in my near future. I am saving my pennies.

I would have liked to get up to Gotcha and Rainier Vista. Aw, next time out, I'll get to run those trails. With larger groups you need to be kind of flexiable, you can't worry how many miles of trail that you run. I wanted stop, watch the other rigs to see what lines they would take. Wheeling is part spectator, part participant. That is what makes it so fun!

My 500' of the Busy did leave it's mark on my Jeep. The passanger side wind shield frame has some marks from a big fir tree that reached out and touched me. Plus my soft top now has a new 12" slice, from the same tree. When it is not so soupy, I think I may run the Busywild.
Unread 01-31-2011, 01:26 AM   #13
RBxj
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Well once again we had a great day wheelin with ya John & Mike & all involved. Thanks for the invite. The larger groups do take a different mind set and little patience at times but all in all it was nice to meet some new folks and watch different rigs taking different lines etc. Unfortunately the athletics of me walking up an down the trail sometimes causes me to miss the action in front or behind me, I wasn't trying to be anti -social but yeah there is actually a reason that I have a handicap license plate. Barb snapped a few pics but the camera's card was full so we ended up with nothing John didn't get. I'm sorry we had to jam early but when my fuel line decided to pop I realized that all the stuff I've been putting off needs to be done now. Plus this trip made me decide to go ahead and get rid of the Trutrac up front and lock the b***h. So thanks to all who let us come along and hope to have as much fun again soon.

Rob & Barb
Unread 01-31-2011, 01:43 AM   #14
RBxj
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Almost forgot, as far as 33 vs 35 & up...... I'm on 34s and if I can't get there, maybe I don't belong there. We ran the same trails, what six weeks ago and had no issues, the only issue I had yesterday was one of the coefficient of friction of the sheet metal on the side of my XJ against that dirt wall was greater than the traction provided by the mud ruts you guy's laid down on your trips over the top.

I'm just glad that after I had to succumb to John's strap that nobody else made it up that turkey, so I don't feel so bad.

Unread 01-31-2011, 06:36 AM   #15
RaggedOleMan
2005 TJ Wrangler 

There was a few tugs that day, you weren't alone, Rob. And the LS up front seems to be your nemesis at times. Glad to hear your going to lock it! If you need some physical or moral support at the install, let me know! I have eight good digits!

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.