EJS 2014 - The Moab gods are happy, they play with us - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Trail Reports & Pictures > EJS 2014 - The Moab gods are happy, they play with us

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRuffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO

Unread 04-23-2014, 03:49 PM   #1
ldso
abidin'

1995 YJ Wrangler 

EJS 2014 - The Moab gods are happy, they play with us

I thought that this would be a good place to put my trip report and pictures, my build thread is getting out of hand. I made my first trip to Moab for EJS 2014, and survived! Many firsts on this trip, including my first time driving out west from Ohio. So I'll get right into it.

I am big on experiencing things, and not big on taking pictures and videos. So most of the stuff here will be cell phone pics, I may add more later from my nephew who was my co-adventurer.

The plan went to hell so I won't really go there. Let's just say I left Columbus Ohio on Saturday April 12 headed for Moab Utah for EJS. My 1995 YJ with a CJ clip would be my trail steed. I flat towed it with a 1998 Lexus LX470. Here is my first gas stop in Indiana.

Yeah the Toyota 4.7 takes premium unleaded, cha ching. Ran great though and we beat it pretty hard. 16 hours of driving and I made it to Neosho Missouri to crash at my nephew's place. The next morning he was ready to take the helm and we took turns driving, a tank of gas per stint.

The GPS said 15 hours to Moab. 15 hours later, it said we had 10 hours to Moab. We hit some weather on I70 trying to get over the mountains, with very heavy crosswinds and rain snow and sleet. After coming across at least a dozen jacknifed semis, rolled pickups and cars that were in the median or off the side of the road, we realized that we weren't going to make it to Moab that night. Visibility at times was about ten feet. We drove 20mph the last icy 14 miles to Limon Colorado where we got a hotel room and called it a day. We felt glad to be unharmed and that our vehicles were in one piece.

The next morning was still icy but they were salting the interstate, so we hit the road. We were immediately in Denver and rode out the traffic, then made the poor old Land Cruiser drag the Jeep up to Vail pass. From there it was down hill to Moab.

Vail Colorado fuel stop. Check out the wierd dirtcicles on the wheel wells.

The poor 4.7L was doing about 5k rpm in 2nd gear pulling the Jeep up over the pass. We had to dodge mountain goats on the road at one point. They were eating grass and looking at us like, what the heck are you doing here?

First sight of the snowy peaks near Moab.

Actually, it's pronounced "mill-e-wah-que" which is Algonquin for "the good land."
ldso is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-23-2014, 04:00 PM   #2
ldso
abidin'

1995 YJ Wrangler 

We made it to Moab, checked in to the camp ground and met our buddy Troy there. I put the driveshafts on the Jeep and headed out to find the Spanish Arena, the kind of headquarters for EJS. It was only a couple of miles from camp, but all closed up for the day.

Drank a couple of beers, crawled in my tent and sleeping bag and crashed. Next morning at 7am I was at registration at the Arena, and by 7:30 I was with the Elephant Hill group staging area! Crazy morning but the next thing I knew we were in Needles area at Elephant Hill. The folks on the CB were introducing themselves, they were all retired pro rock crawlers. I told my nephew that we may be in serious crap, this might not work out! But the old Jeep had no problems with the very technical trail.

The Elephant Hill front side is basically a set of switchback climbs that take you up a vertical canyon cliff face, very very high. It's kind of a mind game more than anything, gotta be cool when the other part of your brain freaks out haha. Don't look down, that kind of deal. I slipped rear tires a couple times and got some chirps, but the front locker kicked in and it was no problem. Having the Lockright in the front did mean that the power steering got tired, working at crawl speeds on very technical obstacles. Going down the back side was insane, with more 3-point turns and one place where you have to reverse on a narrow ledge. I didn't find out until later that we would be going back up and over Elephant Hill on the way out... The back side is crazy! Luckily they patch it with asphalt to keep it passable for all of us Jeep freaks.

On the way down the back side of Elephant Hill, we came across some Swiss folks who were not on the ride, but were watching us maniacs haha. Also we came across a couple who were hiking, but drove their Jeep with us the next day on Hell's Revenge. Curt has a Rubihara, man I love those things.

My nephew.

We stopped for an hour to hike, there was a huge crevice in the mountain that we hiked in to. It was great to go for a walk and not be in a truck for a while

My rig is the tan YJ with CJ clip. Her name is Mabel, like the Cream song.

We split into two groups, my group took the Joint Trail.

We drove down an obstacle called "Sonofa***** Hill" or something like that, checked out the scenery and then drove back up it. For a short wheelbase vehicle with lockers it was fine, but you had to turn in to a squeeze between two huge rock formations at the top, right where you ran in to some loose boulders. Also we ended up doing the "Silver Staircase" up on top of some ridge, that was very cool. Boulders and steps, and slickrock formations, and sand.

Then lots of washes, rock climbs and sand 2-tracks until we got back to Elephant Hill and climbed over. At the trail head parking lot we disbanded, and drove the hour back to Moab from Canyonlands.

Actually, it's pronounced "mill-e-wah-que" which is Algonquin for "the good land."
Unread 04-24-2014, 02:16 PM   #3
lar308

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Sounds like a sweet trip. Welcome back. Ron
"Snowball" 1990 YJ, 4.2, Weber, HEI, 1"bl, 3.5" superlift springs, .5" ground pounder fab boom shackles, dana 44 front, 4.10, powerlok, 4340 axles, 1 ton tierod ends, dana 44 rear, 4.10, grizzly locker, 4340 axle shafts, Tom Woods SYE & rear shaft, 35" MTR's on V5 cragars, home fabed front bumper, M8000 warn (for now, 8274 soon)
lar308 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-24-2014, 06:42 PM   #4
grogie
M-F: Cell Block #4533

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Looks like fun! Yes, crossing Colorado other then in the summer can be eventful. Glad you made it!

Red Jeep Club #345
2006 TJ Sport
2004 KJ Limited
2013 Off-Road Trailer

grogie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-15-2014, 01:36 PM   #5
ldso
abidin'

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks guys! A couple of vids. My nephew sent photos and videos, nice work Justin
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AvWVJeRnZoI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1RsTAUZiERQ

I'll put up more and continue the story.

Unread 05-15-2014, 10:49 PM   #6
Bush307
2012 JK Wrangler 

Love that trail! Was there the week before Easter.

Sent from my iPad using JeepForum
Unread 05-18-2014, 01:32 AM   #7
Kruller
1979 CJ7 

Great pictures. I was out there the 17th through the 21st of April and want to go back sooooo bad. Seeing how far you had to drive I shouldn't complain about the 12-13 hour drive that we have to do. Btw in the first video, Lions Back is closed. Even if it was open I'm not sure that I would go up it anyway. It is off to the left before the curve as you are going up to the booth before the parking lot at Hells Revenge. If you ever head out there again and take I-80, know that you've got some help on the way if needed. That is unless I'm out there already.
Unread 05-21-2014, 02:52 PM   #8
ldso
abidin'

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kruller View Post
Great pictures. I was out there the 17th through the 21st of April and want to go back sooooo bad. Seeing how far you had to drive I shouldn't complain about the 12-13 hour drive that we have to do. Btw in the first video, Lions Back is closed. Even if it was open I'm not sure that I would go up it anyway. It is off to the left before the curve as you are going up to the booth before the parking lot at Hells Revenge. If you ever head out there again and take I-80, know that you've got some help on the way if needed. That is unless I'm out there already.
Oh okay thanks man, I thought that Lion's Back was bigger and steeper than what I was driving on, but I didn't know. Seriously, now that I have been there I feel it in my blood! I have been fans of different kinds of motorsport my whole life, seriously Moab might be the ultimate place to experience. And most of the time it is under 10mph haha!

Awesome man thanks for the offer of help! Jeep people are so awesome. I knew that things would work out even without the winch remote

Unread 05-27-2014, 05:54 PM   #9
ldso
abidin'

1995 YJ Wrangler 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mYQt...ature=youtu.be
Haha this is fun - steep low range granny gear revving on Hell's Revenge trail. Justin says "oh my" haha. The steeper it got the deeper I went on the skinny pedal

Unread 05-27-2014, 09:56 PM   #10
Kruller
1979 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ldso View Post
Oh okay thanks man, I thought that Lion's Back was bigger and steeper than what I was driving on, but I didn't know. Seriously, now that I have been there I feel it in my blood! I have been fans of different kinds of motorsport my whole life, seriously Moab might be the ultimate place to experience. And most of the time it is under 10mph haha!

Awesome man thanks for the offer of help! Jeep people are so awesome. I knew that things would work out even without the winch remote
No problem. If you search on YouTube, there are old videos posted of people going up and down it from inside the cab. Pucker factor. Having walked up the approach with permission right after it was closed, I couldn't imagine how nervous I'd be turning around at the top and coming back down.
Unread 06-03-2014, 11:34 AM   #11
ldso
abidin'

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kruller View Post
No problem. If you search on YouTube, there are old videos posted of people going up and down it from inside the cab. Pucker factor. Having walked up the approach with permission right after it was closed, I couldn't imagine how nervous I'd be turning around at the top and coming back down.
Yeah man I remember a video on Youtube where a guy was begging God to spare his life on the way up LOL. There's a lot of gravity around there!

Next time I will check out Lion's Back approach on like you did, I'm sure the pictures don't do justice to the pucker factor.

Unread 06-03-2014, 11:44 AM   #12
ldso
abidin'

1995 YJ Wrangler 

more pics

More pics.

More Elephant Hill/Needles. The pics have a wierd look to them, apparently I had accidentally set my camera phone to an artsy mode. Could be better but some of them are cool!

Justin hiking.

Mabel parked at the hiking trail head.

The CJ is Dan from Nebraska, awesome guy! Hi Dan! We leaf spring brothers hung together Haha.

Unread 06-03-2014, 09:50 PM   #13
Kruller
1979 CJ7 

Great pictures.

We went up to the shack sitting at the base of it and asked if they cared if I walked up it. I'm pretty sure I mentioned being on my honeymoon and from Nebraska so not sure if that's how we were able to get up there. Lol
Unread 06-09-2014, 03:47 PM   #14
ldso
abidin'

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Wednesday morning, Hell's Revenge Tiptoe.

The crowd for this trail seemed more serious than the Elephant Hill group. There were a lot of vehicles on 40's with sponsor names plastered on them. People from Mickey Thompson were there shooting video and photos. They were giving out swag as you started your ascent from the parking lot

The dogs find you when you eat bologna sandwiches on the trail.

When I walked over to the obstacle, Hell's Gate I think, this was parked there. I considered stealing it and leaving my Jeep there

I have seen the guy driving it before on TV, I think he has done at least one Petersen's Ultimate Adventure. Also one of the buggies was apparently being driven by a KOH champion, from what I was told. They definitely had some serious rigs.

Front suspension. Some nice decorative welds there.

I think that the owners didn't like the gleam in my eye, so they just drove off as I continued snapping pictures LOL.

I didn't get any pics of the rear suspension other than this one, I was thinking that it was inboard but it appears to be coilover out at the ends. Maybe there was a fancy inboard swaybar linkage deally on it. It definitely looked like it could crawl rocks and do 80 through the desert.

After lunch up by the hot tubs.

More pics to come.

Unread 06-10-2014, 03:59 PM   #15
ldso
abidin'

1995 YJ Wrangler 

More from the Hot Tub area.

On the long ride out past Tip Over Challenge, the dude in the teal TJ was getting pretty aggressive at trying optional obstacles. Very fun to watch!

He said that his rear OX locker mechanism was jammed, so he was open in the rear all day. I enjoyed watching him bang the rev limiter trying to get up stuff He told me that my leaf spring setup was flexing more than the mild built JK's, which I really appreciated. I felt like my rig was working really well!

That night I finally had time to sit on a patio.

I bought a funny sticker. Nothing but love for Rubicons of course

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.