Eagle Rock, Colorado Springs, CO Feb 23, 2008 - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Trail Reports & Pictures > Eagle Rock, Colorado Springs, CO Feb 23, 2008

Artec 14b bolt BACKBONE trussNEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!! Engo is bringing New LED Light Bars to the table...Get a g

Unread 03-08-2008, 05:11 PM   #16
92yj97xj
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks for posting those pics... very pretty and looks fun, makes me want to move.

Unread 03-09-2008, 12:01 PM   #17
grogie
M-F: Cell Block #4533

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Pryde, thanks for the photos and the write-up. I was just in CS last Christmas with my wife's KJ. We took it into the mountains, but not into any deep snow. We both grew up in CO and miss it a lot.

That was nice of you to pull out the other trucks/ SUV's. A winch is just a must have in CO if you want to adventure out. I bet those kids learned their lesson. I did something like that myself at that age, but had to dig myself out!

Red Jeep Club #345
2006 TJ Sport
2004 KJ Limited
2013 Off-Road Trailer

grogie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-11-2008, 07:26 PM   #18
pryde551
2002 TJ Wrangler 

No problem Grogie. It was fun. This time of year, it is hard to find many trails open in Colorado because of all the snow. I saw your pictures going over Imogene pass. I plan to hit the trails around Ouray this year. I was their with some guys from my team last summer to hike Mt. Sneffels, but unfortunately my Jeep was at home.
[CENTER][COLOR="Silver"]Colorado Jeep Member #155[/COLOR][/CENTER]
pryde551 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-28-2008, 01:41 AM   #19
cshutchinson
Box Man

1985 CJ7 

Those pics make me want to drive to Colorado to do the same trip with the snow!
Unread 04-01-2008, 06:35 PM   #20
pryde551
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Yeah, it is fun in the snow. We just hit the same trails again this last weekend, with out much success. Now with some of the snow melting, the traction is even worse than when it was cold and packed. We spent most of the day winching, and now not really any good places for the kids to sled. I am ready for Spring and Summer to start hitting the rocks again.
Unread 04-01-2008, 06:46 PM   #21
grogie

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by pryde551 View Post
No problem Grogie. It was fun. This time of year, it is hard to find many trails open in Colorado because of all the snow. I saw your pictures going over Imogene pass. I plan to hit the trails around Ouray this year. I was their with some guys from my team last summer to hike Mt. Sneffels, but unfortunately my Jeep was at home.
Believe me, Ouray is on my list again, as I definitely want to spend more time there. Black Bear Pass is still on my list for one.

I was going to try and drive my TJ out to southern Wyoming this summer as family is camping there, but I just started a new job so no vacation time! Besides, I have yet to get a lift on my TJ as I need some more room under it (I did bottom out several times on the Alpine Loop south of Ouray). Just time and money... Boy do I miss living in CO!

Red Jeep Club #345
2006 TJ Sport
2004 KJ Limited
2013 Off-Road Trailer

Unread 04-03-2008, 07:31 PM   #22
pryde551
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Yeah, I defnitely love living in Colorado. The only thing I miss is the ocean. I missed the Moab Jeep Safari this year. I really wanted to go, but had to save some money for other things. This summer Ouray, and next easter....MOAB!!!
Unread 08-01-2008, 02:20 PM   #23
pryde551
2002 TJ Wrangler 

As stated in the updated OP, I finally finished the trail this year. I made several more attempts during the winter, but never completed Eagle Rock. I spent a week wheelin' in Ouray earlier in July, so I did not make it out here again until July 26th. So here is a shorter update on the trail with new pics.

First off, I have completed this trail several times last year, and it seems to me this was the most difficult time I have had. The snow melt seemed to take alot of of the dirt with it around the harder obstacles which made the climbing more difficult. It was fun, but more challenging than in the past....at least for me.
My purpose of this post was to give people a good idea if this trail is suitable for them or not. My friend did not complete Eagle in his stock XJ. He and his wife hopped in my rig with my wife and I.

Here is a popular overlook of Colorado Springs off of the main road on the way to the trailhead.

Here is a little short cut on the way there that is not hard, but fun to play around on. My buddy in his stock XJ had a "pucker" moment.

Last edited by pryde551; 08-01-2008 at 04:13 PM.. Reason: Fix error
Unread 08-01-2008, 02:47 PM   #24
pryde551
2002 TJ Wrangler 

The wife taking off the windows at the trail head while I am being lazy and playing with the camera.

Taking the water crossing at the start of the trail. Looks much different than in the winter.

This is about 1/2 mile into the trail where it starts getting rough. We were behind 2 women in a stock TJ up to this point where they decided to turn around.

Last edited by pryde551; 08-01-2008 at 02:57 PM.. Reason: update
Unread 08-01-2008, 04:10 PM   #25
pryde551
2002 TJ Wrangler 

This is where it started getting rough. Many rocks had shifted from the snow melt. It's hard to see, but the good size rock circled in red was right in the middle of the road, and was not there last time I was up this way.

I tried going to the left of it, then to the right, but there was no room even though the picture doesn't show it well, so I tried going straight over it.

It was much bigger once I was up close!! Almost lost some steering components that time.

Anyway, I finally squeezed through on the left side, but I scraped my passenger rear wheel pretty good to do it, but no major damage. Immediately ran into one more hard obstacle. Notice the red circle. That was the rock I was just hung up on and how tight the turn was there.

The rest of the trail is pretty easy until the end which has some more difficult rock obstacles that can be bypassed. There is one tight spot however between some trees as you go over a minor rock obstacle that really leans you "right" into the tree no matter how far "left" you go. The following picture demonstrates how tight it is, and that was after several attempts to position my rig hard on the drivers side.

I did not scrape, but as you can see from the missing tree bark, many others have. I do not see how it is possible for a full size 4X4 to make it through without scraping. There is no by pass here either, and please don't go off the trail to try. At the last moment when I thought I would hit the roof ( I was within an inch or two), my Jeep finally leaned "left" and I was clear.

Last edited by pryde551; 08-01-2008 at 04:26 PM.. Reason: Fixed Error
Unread 08-01-2008, 04:21 PM   #26
pryde551
2002 TJ Wrangler 

On the way back down old stage road we hit the "short cut" again, and my wife drove for these next few pics. It is a good spot for someone inexperienced to safely drive, and still get the the excitement of off roading. I let my son drive it every once in a while to get the "Jeep Bug"!! Plus it allows you to get some good flex shots on the whoop de doos!!

Once again, hopefully this post helps people decide if this trail is for them. If you take your time, it is not too techinical. It is a challenge for stock or slightly modified rigs, but still fun for the boys running 37's or more. Plus there is good scenery, it's close to home for me (Pueblo 40 miles away), and has other trails to play on as well.
Unread 08-01-2008, 11:15 PM   #27
Boyerracing343
2007 JK Wrangler 

Nice photos. Looked like a really great time.
Unread 08-04-2008, 07:04 PM   #28
exxon
2004 TJ Wrangler 

oooh, snow!
exxon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-12-2008, 12:47 PM   #29
grogie

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Pryde, I'm glad to see that you finished that trail. And nice flex in the last photos!

Red Jeep Club #345
2006 TJ Sport
2004 KJ Limited
2013 Off-Road Trailer

Unread 08-12-2008, 10:34 PM   #30
pryde551
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks Grogie. It's always a fun time. Hopefully I can make it out to Chinaman's before the snow hits again.......

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.