Eagle Rock, Colorado Springs, CO Feb 23, 2008 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Trail Reports & Pictures > Eagle Rock, Colorado Springs, CO Feb 23, 2008

End of Summer Sale, 20% OFF!Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!

Unread 03-02-2008, 11:23 PM   #1
pryde551
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Eagle Rock, Colorado Springs---Updated Summer PICS 07/26/2008

Updated 07/31/2008: I finally finished the trail with no snow, so I figured I would update how that trip went. New Pics at the end
My buddy just bought a Rubicon a few weeks ago and we were both itching to hit a trail. Obviously snow in the mountains of Colorado can be an issue, but we decided to try anyways. This shows the conditions of Eagle Rock and Mount Baldy the weekend of the 23rd of Feb. This trail is between Cheyenne Mountain and Pikes Peak about 18 miles behind the famous Broadmoor Hotel in Colorado Springs, CO. The main dirt road to get there is Old Stage Rd. The silver Jeep is mine and the White one is my friend Bill.

Our destination from the city of Colo Spg's after hitting a 4X4 shop. You can barely make out Pikes Peak under the clouds.

Just to give you a reference of the amount of snow up there, this is a photo of the start of Eagle Rock in May of 2007. Note the pond my buddy Bill is crossing with his Durango (since traded in for the Rubicon...). Also note the location of the red car in the background.

This is the exact same crossing from this weekend. No sight of the pond. My friend in his white Rubi is in almost the exact same spot he was in his Durango the previous spring. The picture is just taken from the opposite bank where the red car was in the last pic.

First semi hard obstacle in a stock vehicle about 1/4 mile into the trail.

Not too bad so far....other vehicle tracks already there.

This is as far as we got on this trail. Time to turn around and head back down. I got out to take a few pics of the trail ahead.

[CENTER][COLOR="Silver"]Colorado Jeep Member #155[/COLOR][/CENTER]

Last edited by pryde551; 08-01-2008 at 04:32 PM.. Reason: Trail Update
pryde551 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-02-2008, 11:26 PM   #2
pryde551
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Here is the trail. No one else had made it this far either.

Heading back down.

After sliding off the trail only 5 feet, I was buried for about 10 minutes. Had to do a little digging out.

Pulled over at the first "semi-hard obstacle" to let my kid sled.

This is a pic of a very wide open area before the trail gets more difficult. We stopped here on the way back out. Some people were doing some target shooting since this area is out of the park. Also a better sledding area. I saw a Nissan Pathfinder and a stock Ford Ranger out here so up to this point it wasn't too bad.

Unread 03-02-2008, 11:32 PM   #3
pryde551
2002 TJ Wrangler 

More pics in the “open area”.

After Eagle Rock we still didn't have our fix for wheelin, so we decided to hit Mount Baldy which is just a few miles back down Old Stage rd going back to Colo Spgs. This road is pretty well maintained, but does have a few slick spots.

Mount Baldy is a very easy trail when there is no snow. In the summer I'll see stock SUV's and even some AWD cars up here where people do some camping. Ahhhhhh, an innocent little creek crossing partially frozen over.....

Yes that's my rear bumper and hi lift pretty much under water, and my spare is almost touching. Did I mention I have a 4" lift and I am sitting on 33's. Hopefully my Body Armor bumpers come in this week.
Unread 03-02-2008, 11:38 PM   #4
pryde551
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Well, time to winch out. I was hung up pretty good, and the ice offered no purchase.

We passed about 9 Jeeps, Trucks etc. coming back down this "easy" trail, telling us that we wouldn't get much further. About six of them had been stuck for several hours (with no winch) and finally got out with the help of a guy in a black Rubi with a winch. I talked to him also, and he was pretty upset because he said he "trashed" his winch helping the other guys out. What did we do.....press on!!!

My buddy was stuck pretty good. If you notice his pass. side tire was covered to the top at one point. Next pic shows where the trail normally continues. You can see the tire tracks where the other Jeeps we ran into ended. I am almost to my knees on the trail...it is much deeper every else.

On the way back down Mount Baldy we decided to take an easier line through the creek.

Unread 03-02-2008, 11:56 PM   #5
pryde551
2002 TJ Wrangler 

We made one last stop for the day at Wye Campground which is further down Old Stage Rd going toward Colo. Spgs. Luckily for these people we came by. A group of kids came up the night before, got stuck and spent the night in their vehicles...brrrrr. I ended up pulling out the white SUV,the Ford P/U and a Black Durango that was further down the trail that you couldn't see. The kids in the Durango and White SUV were together. The people in the Ford just got stuck...they were from Florida and man was that truck stuck. I spent 45 min just pulling out the Ford.

The guy in the red Jeep did help me with the black Durango (not shown )

Almost down the mountain at a scenic overlook of Colo. Spg. we stopped to take a few poser shots. This a popular spot in the summer. All the mud is from the maintained county road not the trails.

Back home safe and sound.

This is my first trail report post, so hopefully it turns out all right. We didn't get to wheel as much as we wanted to, but we had a blast playing in the snow. The kid had fun sledding, mama had fun driving in the snow. (She's just now starting to want drive more when we off road. She even authorized the purchase of some new bumpers after I convinced her they were necessary...remember the pic when my hi lift is in the water What a great wife!!!) My buddy got to try out his new Rubi. This turned out to be a great summer and winter trail. The next day we went back up to the open area at Eagle Rock and did some target shooting of our own and let the kids sled.

Unread 03-03-2008, 06:16 AM   #6
Jeffro06
October 2012 TJOTM

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Nice pics, good post.....looks like you had a blast.

Moab Trails I've done: Onion Creek, Long Canyon, Dome Plateau, Top of The World (2), Fins-N-Things (2), Poison Spider,
Golden Spike, Gold Bar Rim, Hell's Revenge (2), Baby Lion Back, Cliff Hanger, Moab Rim, Kane Creek Canyon, Strike Ravine

Shortcuts to key points in my build: MTRk's OME 2" HD Lift Antirock Skidrow steering box & radiator skids LoD rear bumper
Rokmen Mercenary bumper w/Superwinch Rokmen sliders Skidrow engine skid Rampage Top CB set up
Custom trunk Rokmen 1" Billet spacers JJ track bar Rokmen Adjustable Control Arms Currectlync Steering
Rokmen Trail Corners Metalcloak Overlines Kentrol Hood Latches JK Turn Signals Xenon 4" Flat Flares Hood Decal Duratracs
Derale Tranny Cooler DieHard Factor 55 Thimble Ten Factory Front Chromo Shafts

Get your build sheet here.
Jeffro06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-03-2008, 08:24 AM   #7
element981
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Nice pics... Looked like lots of fun.
Jarhead Jeep Club member #17
Colorado Jeep Club member #119
July 14, 2008
RIP Danny Dupre SSgt/USMC
element981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-03-2008, 02:12 PM   #8
breckboarder55
Web Wheeler

1999 TJ Wrangler 

very cool, I bet the kids in the SUVS were pretty scared when it turned dark...

Nice picks
87 Mazda RX-7 Turbo II-Built.
87 Mazda RX-7 SE-Burn Victim
01 Honda S2000DD
breckboarder55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-03-2008, 04:36 PM   #9
aircruiser
1996 XJ Cherokee 

that looks like a great time and glad you had fun..nice pics!
Unread 03-03-2008, 09:20 PM   #10
pryde551
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Yeah, it was a blast. After several months without hitting a trail, it was nice to get the Jeep out. The kids had to be freezing overnight, and they were practically begging for someone to pull them out. I didn't mind, and I got to finally use my ARB snatchblock while pulling out the Ford. Once I get my new bumpers installed, I'll probably make another run up there. Come on UPS. I was going to try Chinaman's Gulch by Buena Vista, CO, but a buddy of mine who lives out there said there is way too much snow up there still.
Unread 03-04-2008, 08:40 PM   #11
CBlakeNS

Nice pictures, looks like a good time!
CBlakeNS is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-05-2008, 05:39 AM   #12
Sinzitu
1994 XJ Cherokee 

Awesome pics & report. Wish I was there.

White Jeep Club Member # 1994

Is it done yet???
Sinzitu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-05-2008, 07:49 PM   #13
1RustyXJ
1989 XJ Cherokee 

Yet another reason to ALWAYS be prepared when you go out in the wild!! You never know what could happen!

Nice report and sweet pics!
Unread 03-06-2008, 02:51 PM   #14
miguelitojeep97

ok so I took note of where that red car was.....so what happen to it!
1997 TJ 4.0 5 spd. rock track 4:1, 3.5 inch Rock Krawler 5 inch stretch long arm, 35 inch MTRs, Warn 9k, D44/30 locked with 4:88s, Vanco BIG BRAKES!!and more...
miguelitojeep97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-06-2008, 08:36 PM   #15
pryde551
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by miguelitojeep97 View Post
ok so I took note of where that red car was.....so what happen to it!
The pic where the durango was crossing the stream, there is a red car in the background. In the very next pic, where both jeeps are crossing the flat snow spot, I was taking the picture standing in the approximate location of where the red car was. I was just using the car as a reference for readers to tell that I was taking the pic from the opposite side of the pond (which is now filled with ice and snow in the pic with 2 jeeps) Just trying to show how different the terrain will be in a few months when the snow melts off. Many people go up there in the spring, summer, and fall and many of the trails are pretty easy even for their stock vehicles. I just wanted this report to show people in the area how different things are in the winter, to make a determination if they even want to try these trails in the winter. As you saw, several people underestimated the ability of there stock vehicles. Sorry for the confusion.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.