A "dry" day @ The Cliff's Insane Terrain. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Trail Reports & Pictures > A "dry" day @ The Cliff's Insane Terrain.

Dan's Old as Dirt Birthday Sale!GEARSHADE Pocket Tops in stock and available at ROCKRIDGE Yukon Ultimate 35 axle kit for c/clip axles with Yukon Zip

Unread 09-08-2013, 11:25 AM   #1
Jeffro06
October 2012 TJOTM

2006 TJ Wrangler 

A "dry" day @ The Cliff's Insane Terrain.

I hadn't been wheeling since my Moab trip, back in May, but yesterday I finally got to hit a few trails with a couple of fellow Jeepers.

The weather has been real dry, for a few weeks now, and unseasonably dry all summer, so I figured it was safe to hit The Cliffs Insane Terrain and not get any of the "guaranteed damage" you always here about.

As I walked out to my garage I was greeted with dark skies and thunder...go figure. That meant I had to put the doors back on...bummer. It did sprinkle a bit as I headed south, but I out ran the rain. The Cliffs is about an hour south east of my house, so that meant the rain was following me.

When I arrived at The Cliffs it was nice and sunny. Matt (Rubicon) and Dan (Cherokee) showed up a few minutes after I did, and so did the clouds. Just as we hit the trails it started to thunder just a bit, and sprinkle....but it only lasted a few minutes, thankfully. After that it was as nice as can be.

Just before we hit the trails.

The first obstacle of the day was "Jimmy's Crack"....which was nice and muddy.

Matt was the first one into the crack, and made it right through.

Dan was next....

He needed a tug.

I was next.

And I was stuck.

And in need of a tug.

I was sure I just needed to go a bit more driver, so I went around and did it again.....and made it right through.

A few minutes later Matt found another hole, and the hole won. Dan had to pull him out.

I went next, and the hole put up a good fight.

But my Jeep fought back.

In the end, my Jeep won.

It was only a few minutes later that Dan found himself in a little situation...but he managed to drive out of it.

This how happy a Chevy guy looks after being winched out of a hole, by a Jeep.....my Jeep btw.

Matt decided this looked like a good way down....and as usual pictures don't do it justice.

Matt got high centered before the second drop.

Dan rocked him and Matt was able to make a little progress...but just a little.

Without any tires touching the ground it was time for tug.

Dan gave a tug, and gravity took over.

I decided to go next.

No high centering for me.

That second drop felt and looked like a big one from the driver seat.

Down, safe and sound.

Moab Trails I've done: Onion Creek, Long Canyon, Dome Plateau, Top of The World (2), Fins-N-Things (2), Poison Spider,
Golden Spike, Gold Bar Rim, Hell's Revenge (2), Baby Lion Back, Cliff Hanger, Moab Rim, Kane Creek Canyon, Strike Ravine

Shortcuts to key points in my build: MTRk's OME 2" HD Lift Antirock Skidrow steering box & radiator skids LoD rear bumper
Rokmen Mercenary bumper w/Superwinch Rokmen sliders Skidrow engine skid Rampage Top CB set up
Custom trunk Rokmen 1" Billet spacers JJ track bar Rokmen Adjustable Control Arms Currectlync Steering
Rokmen Trail Corners Metalcloak Overlines Kentrol Hood Latches JK Turn Signals Xenon 4" Flat Flares Hood Decal Duratracs
Derale Tranny Cooler DieHard Factor 55 Thimble Ten Factory Front Chromo Shafts

Get your build sheet here.
Jeffro06 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-08-2013, 11:28 AM   #2
Jeffro06
October 2012 TJOTM

2006 TJ Wrangler 

We found a big rutted hill to climb. Matt went first, and gave it a whole bunch of skinny pedal, and after a few attempts made it up...sorry no pics Matt.

Dan gave it a few shots as well, but couldn't find the traction needed.

I gave it a couple of shots as well, but traction just wasn't there, and I'm not a skinny pedal guy. I think this was one hill were the MTRk's bite did the trick.

Matt said coming down was a bit scarier than going up...he was sliding most of the way.

Guess what, we found more mud.....did I mention it was dry?

More skinny!

This time Matt lost the battle and had to winch himself out.

Once Matt stopped slinging mud all over the place I noticed his exhaust was now pointing in front the tire.....side exhaust anyone? Matt and I were able to man handle it back to where it belonged....almost. We used a ratchet strap to hold it in place.

Then it was Dan's turn.

Dan used more skinny too, but Matt had to tug him out.

For the record, I drove right through....but the camera was with me.

We made our way back to the parking lot, ate some lunch and decided to call it a day, as Matt's exhaust was really fubarred, and was hitting the axle on small bumps. We decided it was better to call it a day than risk more damage. I had dinner plans too, so getting home a little early was a good thing.

Matt and his Jeep.

Me and my Jeep.

I didn't get a shot of Dan and his Jeep....he was up airing up when I took these, sorry Dan.

I do have a couple of short vids I need to get posted on YouTube, and when I do I'll post them here.

It was fun getting out on the trails, and if all goes well I'll be out again next weekend @ The Badlands.

Moab Trails I've done: Onion Creek, Long Canyon, Dome Plateau, Top of The World (2), Fins-N-Things (2), Poison Spider,
Golden Spike, Gold Bar Rim, Hell's Revenge (2), Baby Lion Back, Cliff Hanger, Moab Rim, Kane Creek Canyon, Strike Ravine

Shortcuts to key points in my build: MTRk's OME 2" HD Lift Antirock Skidrow steering box & radiator skids LoD rear bumper
Rokmen Mercenary bumper w/Superwinch Rokmen sliders Skidrow engine skid Rampage Top CB set up
Custom trunk Rokmen 1" Billet spacers JJ track bar Rokmen Adjustable Control Arms Currectlync Steering
Rokmen Trail Corners Metalcloak Overlines Kentrol Hood Latches JK Turn Signals Xenon 4" Flat Flares Hood Decal Duratracs

Unread 09-08-2013, 06:10 PM   #3
Jeffro06
October 2012 TJOTM

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Here's the video I got.

Unread 09-21-2013, 03:50 PM   #4
richard_stryker
2005 LJ Wrangler 

When is the next time your planning on going back to the cliffs?
richard_stryker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-21-2013, 05:58 PM   #5
Jeffro06
October 2012 TJOTM

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by richard_stryker View Post
When is the next time your planning on going back to the cliffs?
I don't really know, some of the guys said that was the last run for the year...but who knows.

Unread 09-22-2013, 07:23 PM   #6
richard_stryker
2005 LJ Wrangler 

I'm hoping to finish the xj I recently bought and go out soon. But my projects always take more time than planned
Unread 09-22-2013, 08:07 PM   #7
Jeffro06
October 2012 TJOTM

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by richard_stryker View Post
I'm hoping to finish the xj I recently bought and go out soon. But my projects always take more time than planned
Don't they all.

Unread 10-06-2013, 01:35 PM   #8
xj3crawler

Could you help me out. I need some advise on putting in a new ignition switch to start it. Im not very good with electrical
xj3crawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-06-2013, 03:17 PM   #9
richard_stryker
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by xj3crawler
Could you help me out. I need some advise on putting in a new ignition switch to start it. Im not very good with electrical
I'm not good with electrical either but if I can find a schematic I will help.
Unread 10-06-2013, 03:20 PM   #10
xj3crawler

Appreciate it. We are trying to get it running for rubicon
xj3crawler is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.