The Cliffs.....Labor Day 2012 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Trail Reports & Pictures > The Cliffs.....Labor Day 2012

Dana 30 Truss for your TJ, LJ, ZJ, and XJFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 09-04-2012, 10:44 AM   #1
Jeffro06
October 2012 TJOTM

2006 TJ Wrangler 

The Cliffs.....Labor Day 2012

I had a four day weekend over Labor Day and thought it would be a good time to head out to The Cliffs for a day of wheeling on Saturday.

LeadDog and I planned to hit the park Saturday morning, but t-storms and rain were on the radar, and in the forecast. The rain I could have handled, but I didn't want to drive for an hour only to have it storming. I don't wheel in t-storms. So Saturday was a washout, no wheeling. Sunday...same kind of deal. Monday looked like it was going to be nice so LeadDog and I decided to hit the park Monday (Labor Day) morning. We knew it was going to be muddy, but didn't really care.

My Jeep, prior to the mud.

LeadDog got held up a bit and was running late, so I decided to take a look at the mud bog area, it was bone dry the last time out, just to see how muddy things were.

The trail to the bog was a mess, very muddy. The mud at the Cliffs has a lot of clay in it, and it's slippery, real slippery.

I met a TJ (99TJSahara) and an XJ (jeepinXJ01) up by the bog, who recognized me from Jeepforum, and asked if they could wheel with me. I said sure, but I was still waiting for LeadDog. 99TJSahara had a passenger, JeepinWJ86. 99TJSahara had already been stuck in Jimmy's Crack.

We went down to the lot and awaited the arrival of LeadDog...who did finally show up.

We headed off on Trail #1, to see how things were.

LeadDog

Things were muddy, that's for sure.

99TJSahara coming up Superman.

jeepinXJ01 on Superman.

99TJSahara had an over heating issue.

Mud from Jimmy's Crack was blocking the radiator.

Pouring some water on the radiator cleaned it off enough to get the air flowing again, and we off.

My Jeep.

We happened upon a Ford Ranger that was stuck and a UTV was trying to pull it out, which wasn't working very well.

Being the nice guy that I am, I decided to winch him back out of his stuckness, despite that fact he was in a Ford Ranger.

The Ranger I saved.

The Ranger only had rear wheel drive, as the front hubs seemed to no longer be locking. The lack of front tow points left him with one option, punch it and power through the mess he was in. It worked.

Some traffic on the trail.

We made our way on down the trail.

This guy came flying by, bouncing the the motor off the rev limiter. It smelled like the engine was about to give up the fight.

We would our way through some trees too.

Moab Trails I've done: Onion Creek, Long Canyon, Dome Plateau, Top of The World (2), Fins-N-Things (2), Poison Spider,
Golden Spike, Gold Bar Rim, Hell's Revenge (2), Baby Lion Back, Cliff Hanger, Moab Rim, Kane Creek Canyon, Strike Ravine

Shortcuts to key points in my build: MTRk's OME 2" HD Lift Antirock Skidrow steering box & radiator skids LoD rear bumper
Rokmen Mercenary bumper w/Superwinch Rokmen sliders Skidrow engine skid Rampage Top CB set up
Custom trunk Rokmen 1" Billet spacers JJ track bar Rokmen Adjustable Control Arms Currectlync Steering
Rokmen Trail Corners Metalcloak Overlines Kentrol Hood Latches JK Turn Signals Xenon 4" Flat Flares Hood Decal Duratracs
Derale Tranny Cooler DieHard Factor 55 Thimble Ten Factory Front Chromo Shafts

Get your build sheet here.
Jeffro06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-04-2012, 10:44 AM   #2
Jeffro06
October 2012 TJOTM

2006 TJ Wrangler 

We tested our break over angles.

No high centering.

We followed Trail #1 back to the parking lot, had a little lunch, then decided to do Trail #1 again, but in the opposite direction.

We stopped by Jimmy's Crack.

99TJSahara took a shot at the crack.

This wasn't the same spot in the crack where he had gotten stuck earlier...that spot was way nastier.

Traction was an issue.

He took a few runs at it.

Not quite enough traction.

And then it was over.

I heard a sound I remembered hearing before. It sounded like air coming out of a tire, really fast, or an air line bursting. I new from a previous trip that it was a clogged or bent exhaust.

Bent and slightly clogged exhaust.

The tail pipe is a lot tougher to bend than one might thing. We weren't able to get a pry par into the end of the pipe, so we could attempt to pull up on it, so we came up with another solution.

Don't laugh, it worked.

Being none the worse for the wear, we headed back down the trail.

Lori's Holler.

Moab Trails I've done: Onion Creek, Long Canyon, Dome Plateau, Top of The World (2), Fins-N-Things (2), Poison Spider,
Golden Spike, Gold Bar Rim, Hell's Revenge (2), Baby Lion Back, Cliff Hanger, Moab Rim, Kane Creek Canyon, Strike Ravine

Shortcuts to key points in my build: MTRk's OME 2" HD Lift Antirock Skidrow steering box & radiator skids LoD rear bumper
Rokmen Mercenary bumper w/Superwinch Rokmen sliders Skidrow engine skid Rampage Top CB set up
Custom trunk Rokmen 1" Billet spacers JJ track bar Rokmen Adjustable Control Arms Currectlync Steering
Rokmen Trail Corners Metalcloak Overlines Kentrol Hood Latches JK Turn Signals Xenon 4" Flat Flares Hood Decal Duratracs

Unread 09-04-2012, 10:45 AM   #3
Jeffro06
October 2012 TJOTM

2006 TJ Wrangler 

There was never a shortage of mud, but that didn't stop LeadDog from running topless all day.

Hey look, it's my jeep again.

jeepinXJ01 got stuck along the way.

LeadDog gave him a tug to freedom.

Before ending our day we decided to take a trip down the creek....well the rock bed that is supposed to be the creek.

There was water here and there, but nothing flowing.

I gave LeadDog my camera, so I could prove I was there.

This tree gave the XJ a fight, but the XJ did prevail.

My last look, as we headed back to the lot.

We had a great day. Once tail pipe was damaged, and possibly and tie rod on jeepinXJ01...it looked a little bent.

Aside from the creek we stuck to Trail #1 all day, no side shoots like we usually do, as the traction was pretty much gone, and besides we were having fun where we were.

If you want to see all of the photos I took Click Here

Hopefully the other guys will post up the pics they have as well.

Unread 09-04-2012, 11:47 AM   #4
LeadDog
2008 JK Wrangler 

Jeff, a great job documenting the outing as usual! It was a great, well deserved trip.
Unread 09-04-2012, 12:30 PM   #5
99TJSahara
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Damn you take some good pics, but very few get taken of your jeep, we'll have to fix that next time.

I found some additional damaged on the ride home, one of my engine drive pulleys is making a loud bearing noise, I'll look at it later.
99 Wrangler Sahara-sold
99TJSahara is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-04-2012, 03:24 PM   #6
Jeffro06
October 2012 TJOTM

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99TJSahara View Post
Damn you take some good pics, but very few get taken of your jeep, we'll have to fix that next time.

I found some additional damaged on the ride home, one of my engine drive pulleys is making a loud bearing noise, I'll look at it later.
Could be some mud in there, or not. Maybe whatever it is was slowing the fan down, slowing the cooling.

Quote:
Also heres a link to all the pics we took
http://s569.photobucket.com/albums/s...-12/?start=all
The pics aren't co-operating....

Unread 09-04-2012, 06:26 PM   #7
99TJSahara
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffro06 View Post
Could be some mud in there, or not. Maybe whatever it is was slowing the fan down, slowing the cooling.

The pics aren't co-operating....
I washed about another 10lbs of mud out of the radiator, I'm pretty sure my first encounter with Jimmys crack ruined my throwout bearing also.

I try and reload all of the pics cause I'm have problems with them too
99 Wrangler Sahara-sold
Unread 09-04-2012, 06:37 PM   #8
LeadDog
2008 JK Wrangler 

Jimmy's Crack is not for the faint of heart.
Unread 09-04-2012, 06:42 PM   #9
LeadDog
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
I try and reload all of the pics cause I'm have problems with them too
They turned out well, especially the ones of that sexy JK.
Unread 09-04-2012, 07:29 PM   #10
99TJSahara
1999 TJ Wrangler 

New link

http://s569.photobucket.com/albums/s...-12/?start=all
99 Wrangler Sahara-sold
Unread 09-04-2012, 07:47 PM   #11
Jeffro06
October 2012 TJOTM

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Hey, there were actually a couple of pictures of my Jeep.....that is so rare.

So, when we all heading to The Badlands?

Unread 09-04-2012, 07:55 PM   #12
99TJSahara
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffro06 View Post
Hey, there were actually a couple of pictures of my Jeep.....that is so rare.

So, when we all heading to The Badlands?
Next weekend, I wish, I think my wheeling season has ended short as it will take me a while to fix me jeep, and upgrade what needs upgrading.

Maybe I can ride shotgun for someone
99 Wrangler Sahara-sold
Unread 09-04-2012, 08:11 PM   #13
Jeffro06
October 2012 TJOTM

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Next weekend, I wish, I think my wheeling season has ended short as it will take me a while to fix me jeep, and upgrade what needs upgrading.

Maybe I can ride shotgun for someone
That kind of sucks, but **** happens and we fix it / upgrade it. That's kind of the reason I no longer have my YJ....

People who ride with me are required to have a camera, and have to take pictures of me.

Unfortunately, for you, the next time I hit the Badlands my passenger seat may be filled by my wife. If things change I'll let you know though.

Unread 09-05-2012, 05:55 AM   #14
Jeffro06
October 2012 TJOTM

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Click free pics of me / my jeep, taken by 99TJSahara:

Front hubs broken, no tow points.....nice.

Getting ready to winch him.

Lunch

Lending a hand.

Unread 09-05-2012, 03:35 PM   #15
midnight_f150
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Jeep looks great Jeff. 99TJSahara you make Jimmy's Crack look like a fun challenge. Leaddog whats next for your JK? Looks like a fun group to spend the day out on the trail with.
midnight_f150 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.