The Cliffs....July 28th. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Trail Reports & Pictures > The Cliffs....July 28th.

Component speaker deal for your dash - NalinMFGIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSteering and more from Ruffstuff!

Unread 07-29-2012, 10:33 AM   #1
Jeffro06
October 2012 TJOTM

2006 TJ Wrangler 

The Cliffs....July 28th.

Myself (Jeff), Shortstax33 (Matt) and LeadDog (Chris) went out to The Cliffs Off Road Park yesterday.

(old picture of the entrance)

After having just gotten back from a 4388 mile road trip to Disneyland, California, and having traveled through Colorado (went right by the start of Black Bear Pass) and Utah (including an over night in Moab) I really needed some time in the Jeep. I also haven't had the Jeep out since installing my Overlines, so it was time.

The weather ended up being perfect, nice and sunny, not too hot. I was able to make the trip topless and doorless, just like I had hoped.

I showed up at the park just before 9am. Chris and Matt were both there before 10am.

Here's my Jeep.

Chris' Jeep.

Matt's Rubi next to mine....it's like a before and after thing.

Matt making lunch preparations.

The Cliffs is known for being muddy, but with this years drought, water was not easy to find. We headed out of the parking lot and into the creek....well into the creek bed, there was no water.

Chris climbing out of the creek bed.

We wandered around the park, first taking trail #1 around, and finding fun things to do along the way. Chris brought his son and daughter, who always wanted to climb some hills....good kids.

The front passenger tire is off the ground.

Matt's Jeep was basically set up the way mine was one of the first times I took it out, so it was kind of cool to see the before and after performance of the mods I had made. The differences in suspension could be seen first hand.

We went though the "MUD PIT".......

There was no mud, so much for "the Cliffs is always muddy......"

Sometimes a longer wheel base is not a good thing.

Chris needed a tug.

The rub marks Chris left behind.

Matt heard some rubbing so we stopped to check things out. Turns out the passenger side "milk jug" was bent back and rubbing on tire, so....removing both jugs seemed to be the cure.

Why bother with a screwdriver?

We kept looking for things to "go down and climb up"...at the request of Chris' kids.

Well followed a few ravines throughout the day too.

Moab Trails I've done: Onion Creek, Long Canyon, Dome Plateau, Top of The World (2), Fins-N-Things (2), Poison Spider,
Golden Spike, Gold Bar Rim, Hell's Revenge (2), Baby Lion Back, Cliff Hanger, Moab Rim, Kane Creek Canyon, Strike Ravine

Shortcuts to key points in my build: MTRk's OME 2" HD Lift Antirock Skidrow steering box & radiator skids LoD rear bumper
Rokmen Mercenary bumper w/Superwinch Rokmen sliders Skidrow engine skid Rampage Top CB set up
Custom trunk Rokmen 1" Billet spacers JJ track bar Rokmen Adjustable Control Arms Currectlync Steering
Rokmen Trail Corners Metalcloak Overlines Kentrol Hood Latches JK Turn Signals Xenon 4" Flat Flares Hood Decal Duratracs
Derale Tranny Cooler DieHard Factor 55 Thimble Ten Factory Front Chromo Shafts

Get your build sheet here.
Jeffro06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-29-2012, 10:34 AM   #2
Jeffro06
October 2012 TJOTM

2006 TJ Wrangler 

I took a shot of my Jeep as I walked back up the hill.

Matt had a camera, but he filled his SD card, so after that I started handing him my camera, so there would actually be some shots of me wheeling...very rare thing to have.

Moab Trails I've done: Onion Creek, Long Canyon, Dome Plateau, Top of The World (2), Fins-N-Things (2), Poison Spider,
Golden Spike, Gold Bar Rim, Hell's Revenge (2), Baby Lion Back, Cliff Hanger, Moab Rim, Kane Creek Canyon, Strike Ravine

Shortcuts to key points in my build: MTRk's OME 2" HD Lift Antirock Skidrow steering box & radiator skids LoD rear bumper
Rokmen Mercenary bumper w/Superwinch Rokmen sliders Skidrow engine skid Rampage Top CB set up
Custom trunk Rokmen 1" Billet spacers JJ track bar Rokmen Adjustable Control Arms Currectlync Steering
Rokmen Trail Corners Metalcloak Overlines Kentrol Hood Latches JK Turn Signals Xenon 4" Flat Flares Hood Decal Duratracs

Unread 07-29-2012, 10:34 AM   #3
Jeffro06
October 2012 TJOTM

2006 TJ Wrangler 

We met up with a guy in a Razor, with his two kids...his two sleeping kids.

Notice how he's holding his son's head, to keep it from flopping all over, what a dad!

This ravine had some rocks and tight squeezes, but we decided to continue down it further than we had on past trips.

This was really tight.

Can you tell how tight it was?

Before I could even say anything Matt had nudged his fender right into the tree, crunch went the fender.

Climbing out.

The Razor's turn.

My turn.

The Metal Cloak Overlines made this squeeze a bit less of a challenge for me.

Chris had already rubbed up against a tree and lost some paint and damaged a door handle, so he took a pass on this portion of the trail.

After awhile we found the creek again, there was actually some water, it wasn't flowing anywhere, but since it was there, Matt drove on in.

Chris watches Matt, as we hear, "Can someone come around and give me a pull from the front?"

We didn't get any shots of Matt as I winched him out, but it appeared the one spot of water we found was deep. The jeep wanted to slide to the passenger side, so we played it safe and I winched him out. Turns out Matt's camera, well his dad's camera, got wet. Hopefully the pictures are still ok.

I took the lead for awhile and I found another ravine to follow.

I needed to pull line for Chris, as he kept sliding to the passenger side and couldn't quite get out.

Matt three wheeling again.

Unread 07-29-2012, 10:35 AM   #4
Jeffro06
October 2012 TJOTM

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Chris took the lead for awhile and we continued on down the ravine.

Matt had this thing about three wheeling.

Matt got pretty tippy here, I told him to go, don't hit the brakes...but just as he started to go, he hit the brakes...thankfully he didn't go over, but it sure did teeter. I told him to just trust me and go....thankfully he didn't tip over...lol.

We decided to spend some time in Jimmy's Crack....wait what?

Notice the missing license plate.

Chris hit his bumper really hard, ripping it off it's mount on the driver side, which caused it to rip the license plate bracket right off the jeep.

Damage wise Matt scuffed some paint, and smashed his passenger side fender (a few times). Chris damaged a door hands, lost some paint on a door hinge, scuffed a few flares, ripped the rear bumper off it's mount and tore off the license plate bracket. I didn't damage anything.

All in all it was a fun day, dusty, but fun. It only takes me about an hour to get there, as opposed to 3 hours to get to The Badlands, so I can see myself going to The Cliffs more and more. One tank of gas for the day instead of three is much cheaper.

Hopefully Matt will post up some photos, eventually.

Here is a link to all the pictures I have from the trip: The Cliffs: July 28, 2012

Thanks for looking...

Unread 07-29-2012, 02:52 PM   #5
xmonger
2003 WJ 

Fantastic report and pics! 5 star worthy

Thanks for posting.
Unread 07-29-2012, 04:18 PM   #6
LeadDog
2008 JK Wrangler 

Great pics, as always. It is terrific having a good photographer along.

My wife just shook her head when I showed her the bumper. She made a sarcastic comment about not allowing me to head out with you guys anymore, but she knew the bumper was being replaced even before yesterday.

Now for the bumper shopping!

The kids fell asleep for the ride home, but were pretty excited about the trip. It was funny hearing them tell the tales of the day to the wife. And, yes, my son is wearing his new t-shirt right now.

So when are we heading back?
Unread 07-29-2012, 10:18 PM   #7
Jeffro06
October 2012 TJOTM

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by xmonger View Post
Fantastic report and pics! 5 star worthy

Thanks for posting.
Thanks, it was a blast. It's always fun to hit the trail with the guys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeadDog View Post
So when are we heading back?
I'll try to get it another trip before August is over. I'm free next weekend, but it's too soon to go again (or so I'm told). I'll be on call the two weekends after that, so August is a long shot at best. I'll want to hit the Badlands come fall, if not sooner.

Plans for Moab will go into the works after the first of the year, I'm thinking late May. If that doesn't work out I'm thinking Colorado...Big Bear Pass...in July.

Only time will....winning the lottery would make things a bit easier.

Unread 07-30-2012, 02:47 PM   #8
shortstax33
1998 TJ Wrangler 

I don't get back to my folks at all this week. Next Monday I MIGHT be able to get pics posted....We'll see. Someday for sure,lol.

"And if anyone's curious, the answer is yes. I drink beer before/during all mechanical surgery on my vehicles. " - yours truly.
shortstax33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-30-2012, 04:23 PM   #9
LeadDog
2008 JK Wrangler 

Did the camera survive? And did you get punished with mac & cheese for getting it wet?
Unread 07-31-2012, 01:06 PM   #10
BRay

Looks like you guys had a great time.

Sure is easy to clean off just dust and not have to deal with the clay / mud that the Cliffs is well known for.
BRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-31-2012, 01:15 PM   #11
BRay

Maybe i will have to follow you guys out there some time with my Jeep.
dscn8932.jpg  

Last edited by BRay; 07-31-2012 at 01:44 PM.. Reason: Trying to add a pic. Will it work?
BRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-31-2012, 02:45 PM   #12
shortstax33
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Unknown about the condition of the camera. Haven't tried yet...Dad was NOT happy...so I haven't brought it up yet. :P I'm 26 and still fear the wrath of my father...mostly because I know I screwed the pooch on this one.

"And if anyone's curious, the answer is yes. I drink beer before/during all mechanical surgery on my vehicles. " - yours truly.
shortstax33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-31-2012, 03:02 PM   #13
Jeffro06
October 2012 TJOTM

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRay View Post
Maybe i will have to follow you guys out there some time with my Jeep.
It's followed me to the Badlands before....

Unread 08-02-2012, 06:11 PM   #14
Beardedguy

I am so jealous of you guys!

Sent from my iPhone using JeepForum
Beardedguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-19-2012, 08:59 PM   #15
Schwinn
2004 TJ Wrangler 

I'm a newbie that would love to meet up with a crew at Badlands or the Cliffs sometime before the year is over. I've got a TJ with a small lift. Live in Chicago.
Schwinn is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.