The Cliffs 9/9/12 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Trail Reports & Pictures > The Cliffs 9/9/12

FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! SPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!Yukon Ultimate 35 axle kit for c/clip axles with Yukon Zip

Unread 09-12-2012, 07:30 AM   #1
shortstax33
1998 TJ Wrangler 

The Cliffs 9/9/12

Morning everyone. I've been slacking the last few months with getting pictures of my adventures posted up..those who know me know why, slight garage fires followed by displacement and homelessness can do that. Well I'm still displaced but, the local coffee shop seems to not mind me sitting here on the computer for hours on end. So now onto the Trail report!

Picture it, 9AM on September 9th, 2012, we arrive at the front parking lot of the Cliffs Insane Terrain in Marsailles Illinois. Being that it's been a month since I've been wheeling, and it rained here recently, I'm naturally nailing every puddle in the lot I can find. And there are a few.

My friend John was riding with me, had already arrived in his tan PT Cruiser. Trully a man's vehicle. He's broken or he most likely would have brought a jeep of his own, a messed up leg megs working the clutch a little difficult. Sorry for the lack of early pictures, it was one of those days where we just wanted to get out and wheel! Also riding in my rigg were my friends Brandon and Alex, and Tina drove out additionally and would be hitchiking in another rigg. Me, Brandon and Tina were old hats at this so we got my tires aired down to 20 psi. I normally go to 15 psi, but last trip I managed to get crap in 6 inches of my bead and it shredded it, preventing it from holding air. Which reminds me, I need to call tire rack. But I digress.

Regardless, after a short wait, Chris, better known as LeadDog around here, arrived with his wife and two kids. Tina hopped in with his family. Apparently there are 5 seat belts in the 4 door JKs, who know? The original plan was for Tina's cousin, Mike, to also join us but it was at this time I was advised he would not be arriving till 10-1030. And he had no CB. Fantastic. He was told to wait for us in the lot to come back for lunch, that'd be the easiest thing. Chris also mentioned another fellow he found on here that wanted to meet up. He didn't make the 9AM meetup, so we aired Chris down, everyone paid the bills, mounted the flaggs, and up to the bluffs we went, with Alex playing photographer in my rigg.

I promise, Alex's photography gets better than this. No more fingers. Also picture: two sexy Rubis. Note the new stinger and winch

I'm normally against mud pits, but the Cliffs is known for them. That and my honor was brought into question so naturally I had to get a little dirty. So into the pit I went.

I started out avoid the ruts but seeing all the sliding I was doign, I decided to change tactics. After a short drop and a sudden drop, we were tracking strait again.

I got the heck out of the way and Chris took his crack at it. He has more self control in the mud because it didn't look like he was having any sliding problems. My photographer is still in training, so my apologies for only having the one photo. I'm hoping additional will appear in this thread when the other riders/drivers get in here.

Chris exiting his mud pit

Next stop was to the bowls, and the location where Chris earned his nickname/ radio call sign: High Center. Witty, I know. Naturally we drive right up the back side of the bowl to get in, and play a little.

Chris lived up to the nickname in true fashion.

After a quick tug from yours truly, we were on our way.

Once we were free to wander again, we carried on, passing on the opportunity to challenge Jimmy's Crack once again. The bottom was a mud bog and I was feeling very courageous at this point in the morning. That would come later. The original plan had been to follow trail 1 all morning. Well due to a trail back up of quads and a jeep, that plan got shot to hell. Off shoot time! The off shoot ended up being really fun, with some fun hill decents and climbs. Also a little puddle jumping and me ploughing through a mud puddle to make it up a hill.

Chris's venture into the the mud puddles...or soup.

That's just one good looking Jeep if I do say so myself.

I ended up going around the tree.

Chris, not so much.

A quick tug and the adventures continued...

...with me sinking. Sinking, but not stuck! That didn't happen till much later.

Everyone loves a sharp incline.

This was wishful thinking. Thought I could make it...wasn't happening.

Thank God this is a sexy jeep, or people would get bored seeing it so much.

He's alrite too.

That's just the morning chunk of pictures. Photo bucket would only download a few photos up front so as soon as the rest are uploaded I'll finish this report. Anyone else who rode along, feel free to post up!

"And if anyone's curious, the answer is yes. I drink beer before/during all mechanical surgery on my vehicles. " - yours truly.
shortstax33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-12-2012, 07:39 AM   #2
shortstax33
1998 TJ Wrangler 

And we're back, sports fans!

And Brandon decided to go for a walk.

Well we started getting hungry, so we started heading back towards the lot and as we were crossing the bluffs, I got distracted by a shiny object! Or a rusty one...anyways....

...flexing!!!

And a stranger.

And another.

Around this time we finished our trek back to the lot and relaxed for a few minutes, enjoying some engine cooked hot dogs for a bit.

When I said Alex got better at taking pictures....

I lied.

Sad to say this is the part of the trip where my camera battery took a dump, so we don't have any pictures of the alot of the aggressive stuff we did that day. John took over my camera and did manage to get a few more picture though. And a random event occurred. The fellow Chris was talking to online...we ran into on the trails! He had partnered up with some random jeeps. As we passed each other he asked if we were from JF, and realized who he was. So here we met Nick who joined up with us.

So we took him strait to some gnarly trails.

His approach in made me need a change of shorts, and I wasn't even in the rigg! But alas, he survived. And Chris, never to be outdone...

...with a terrified family in back.

And then there was Mike, who SWORE he would not try this. But when Chris made it through with the 4 door, I think his pride got to him.

And in he went!

Good and tippy.

Sadly this WAS the last of my battery. You miss the best hill climb we did. Me and Chris hit it hard, couldn't quite convince the other two to join us. Nick took a video of me and posted it on youtube. If I can dig it up I'll link it over for ya'all to enjoy! Hope this trail report wasn't to drab for ya, there will be more to come in the future, lots more!

"And if anyone's curious, the answer is yes. I drink beer before/during all mechanical surgery on my vehicles. " - yours truly.
Unread 09-12-2012, 09:01 AM   #3
LeadDog
2008 JK Wrangler 

Very nice! It was a great day out. Perfect weather and everyone had a blast!

I'd love to see that video of the "Dangerous Cliffs"! That was a crazy climb.
Unread 09-12-2012, 03:00 PM   #4
nickcee47
1995 YJ Wrangler 

heres the link to the mash up video I did for Matt. Best i could do with the small amount of film i got from him. try to do more of the creek and other parts we went through.
nickcee47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-12-2012, 03:13 PM   #5
LeadDog
2008 JK Wrangler 

Now Matt will get a big head watching himself over and over again in those shots!

The video doesn't really offer the perspective of how hard those last two obstacles were.
Unread 09-12-2012, 03:29 PM   #6
Jeffro06
October 2012 TJOTM

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Looks like it was a bit dryer than it was the week before. I wish I had a sexy Jeep like yours.

You really need to check your batteries and your SD cards before you hit the trail, that's getting old.

Moab Trails I've done: Onion Creek, Long Canyon, Dome Plateau, Top of The World (2), Fins-N-Things (2), Poison Spider,
Golden Spike, Gold Bar Rim, Hell's Revenge (2), Baby Lion Back, Cliff Hanger, Moab Rim, Kane Creek Canyon, Strike Ravine

Shortcuts to key points in my build: MTRk's OME 2" HD Lift Antirock Skidrow steering box & radiator skids LoD rear bumper
Rokmen Mercenary bumper w/Superwinch Rokmen sliders Skidrow engine skid Rampage Top CB set up
Custom trunk Rokmen 1" Billet spacers JJ track bar Rokmen Adjustable Control Arms Currectlync Steering
Rokmen Trail Corners Metalcloak Overlines Kentrol Hood Latches JK Turn Signals Xenon 4" Flat Flares Hood Decal Duratracs
Derale Tranny Cooler DieHard Factor 55 Thimble Ten Factory Front Chromo Shafts

Get your build sheet here.
Jeffro06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-12-2012, 03:31 PM   #7
Jeffro06
October 2012 TJOTM

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeadDog View Post
Now Matt will get a big head watching himself over and over again in those shots!

The video doesn't really offer the perspective of how hard those last two obstacles were.
Looks like you got buddy ****** when it comes to video time...

Moab Trails I've done: Onion Creek, Long Canyon, Dome Plateau, Top of The World (2), Fins-N-Things (2), Poison Spider,
Golden Spike, Gold Bar Rim, Hell's Revenge (2), Baby Lion Back, Cliff Hanger, Moab Rim, Kane Creek Canyon, Strike Ravine

Shortcuts to key points in my build: MTRk's OME 2" HD Lift Antirock Skidrow steering box & radiator skids LoD rear bumper
Rokmen Mercenary bumper w/Superwinch Rokmen sliders Skidrow engine skid Rampage Top CB set up
Custom trunk Rokmen 1" Billet spacers JJ track bar Rokmen Adjustable Control Arms Currectlync Steering
Rokmen Trail Corners Metalcloak Overlines Kentrol Hood Latches JK Turn Signals Xenon 4" Flat Flares Hood Decal Duratracs

Unread 09-12-2012, 03:37 PM   #8
LeadDog
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffro06 View Post
Looks like you got buddy ****** when it comes to video time...
That's okay. My Jeep and I aren't as easy on the eyes as that yellow one. People with yellow Jeeps demand all the attention.
Unread 09-12-2012, 06:25 PM   #9
jakeWI
1996 XJ Cherokee 

never got a chance to wheel there before I sold the XJ. Not the biggest fan of mud, but still would be a place to cross off the list

Jeep Buildhttp://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/p...hwoods-958674/
jakeWI is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-12-2012, 10:31 PM   #10
nickcee47
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeadDog View Post

yeah it was kind of hard to get a lot of good shots. Next time we go ill try recording it better.
Unread 09-13-2012, 07:43 AM   #11
shortstax33
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Jeff: Hey, ya know what, at least I bring a camera to document as much as I can, and who would think a point and shoot's battery would be dead in 2 hours. I think it's getting old. Lol, buuuut, I did forget my spare, so that sucks. At least there's some photos. Now I just need to get everyone else who took pics to get em to me and I can add em to this thread.
Chris: I've already watched it 12 times, and I'm pretty sure I'm a God among men. Juuuuuust kidding. Actually when i watched it...it seemed so incredibly slow. I don't think non-wheelers who watched it would be at all impressed, lol. Of course if they actually rode along for something like that they'd need fresh drawers.
Nick: You did good with what ya had available, which was about an hour worth of wheeling. Looked good to me.

Unread 09-13-2012, 08:18 AM   #12
Jeffro06
October 2012 TJOTM

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortstax33 View Post
Jeff: Hey, ya know what, at least I bring a camera to document as much as I can, and who would think a point and shoot's battery would be dead in 2 hours. I think it's getting old.
On the plus side, you didn't break the camera this time.....did you?

Unread 09-13-2012, 08:20 AM   #13
shortstax33
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Nope! Mostly cus this is my old shock proof/water proof camera. I've tested all those functions, suckers a little tank! And I got to thinking...I'm pretty sure theres video footage of Chris too...I just think Nick hasn't made the video yet....I could be wrong though.

Unread 09-13-2012, 01:52 PM   #14
LeadDog
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffro06 View Post
On the plus side, you didn't break the camera this time.....did you?
Ouch
Unread 09-16-2012, 09:07 AM   #15
nickcee47
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortstax33 View Post
Nope! Mostly cus this is my old shock proof/water proof camera. I've tested all those functions, suckers a little tank! And I got to thinking...I'm pretty sure theres video footage of Chris too...I just think Nick hasn't made the video yet....I could be wrong though.
Yeah I have footage of him. School likes to keep me busy sorry folks. When I get a chance I'll put it all together. And for everyone who saw the video of Matt's yellow jeep it does seem a little slow and not that scary at all. I went this weekend and did some testing on how to give the real feeling of nearly pooping your pants lol let you all know how it works out.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.