Boy am I glad I live in Florida... - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Trail Reports & Pictures > Boy am I glad I live in Florida...

Huge Soft top SaleAdvance Adapters SYE KitsCurrie Antirock, Currectlync & Lift Kits on Sale!

Unread 01-22-2006, 12:00 PM   #1
Achped
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Boy am I glad I live in Florida...

The land of soft sand and NO ROCKS. I went out looking for some today.

It's a really really nice day out, about 83, no clouds, sooooo nice.

Well there were some rocks out there by this bridge, so I went messing around. DAMN. Stock Jeeps SUCK in the rocks, granted, they were pretty big rocks, but WTF, I scraped up my power steering box thing (under the front bumper), gashed my gas tank skid plate, bent my trailer hitch. It was bad. Every second I went up on a rock I'd hear this metal-on-rock grinding sound. I definitely need a big lift, talking 4.5-5.5 superflex kit to get over this stuff, with some 35" MT/Rs. It was crazy. Rocks suck!

Those aren't even the bad ones.

At least I know what my stock Jeep is capable of on rocks now (almost nothing).

I'm taking your guy's advice by wheeling it stock and getting used to it....but man it SUCKS!

Achped is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-22-2006, 01:40 PM   #2
Night Wolf
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Heh, St. Pete.... I am on the Clearwater/Largo boarder...

While I don't have a Jeep, I could just imagine FL is horrible for off-roading... there is nothing here, its all flat... no fun... back in NY there were a good amount of places.

-1987 BMW 528e 5spd e28 - personal Panzer for the daily driven battlefield, just broken in at 300k

-1990 BMW 325i Convertible 5spd e30 - extensive overhaul in progress

-2005 TJ Sport - stuff
Night Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-22-2006, 02:11 PM   #3
Achped
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Nah, Florida's pretty fun, the Ocala National Forest is exactly 2 hours away from my house (leave at 8, you're in the forest at 10) There's plenty of places to wheel there, but its mostly soft sand and tight trails.

Its perfect for my kind of wheeling (trips out in the middle of nowhere) that hardcore rock crawling isnt my thing (as you can probably tell lol)
Unread 01-22-2006, 02:24 PM   #4
method84

Im so envious of you right now. I wish it was fricken 83 degrees. I cant wait till spring so I can take my doors off....im getting cabin fever man!
method84 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-22-2006, 02:43 PM   #5
davenjeip

Yep, I remember living in Florida. There were a million spots locally to go splash mud all over my pickup, but not a rock to be found.

That's about the only thing I miss about being down there. I had a neat little spot a mile or two from my house that was good for about 5 minutes worth of playing around. It was a great way to unwind after a rough day at work.

www.davenjeip.com
davenjeip is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-22-2006, 03:10 PM   #6
Wheels4186
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Ahhh today is beautiful....I'm from Palm Harbor but we went to a club members ranch today (22 acres in the heart of tampa... ) and did some nice wheelin there, hes got some monstrous log crossings and a VERY NICE rock pile....along with a good 1-2 mile DEEP mud run...Havent got my pics uploaded yet but heres some from the last time we were out there....also be careful playing on those bridges, we were out on the Dunedin Causeway and my buddy got a Reckless Driving ticket.....for "playing on the beach/rocks" But seriously bro check out our club www.suncoastflatlanders.com

Heres those pics from where we were today...

The oweners rig...
http://www.imagestation.com/mypictures/inbox/view.html?album_id=2124463792&id=4081904025&url=ht tp://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid177/pa0f8a60845fbed5d9799690d190da0d5/f34ce999.jpg&caption=Lee's%20Buggy

One of the guys in the club...
http://www.imagestation.com/mypictur...on=Erics%20Rig

Dave

www.patriot-customs.com

04 Patriot Blue TJ- DAILY DRIVER/WEEKEND WARRIOR D-30/60 7.5" of lift, 38's, bumpers, cage, OBA, winch, armor, tube fenders, 2000W Stereo, etc.
Wheels4186 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-22-2006, 08:53 PM   #7
Night Wolf
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Achped
Nah, Florida's pretty fun, the Ocala National Forest is exactly 2 hours away from my house (leave at 8, you're in the forest at 10) There's plenty of places to wheel there, but its mostly soft sand and tight trails.

Its perfect for my kind of wheeling (trips out in the middle of nowhere) that hardcore rock crawling isnt my thing (as you can probably tell lol)
Really? there are some places in FL? That is pretty cool....

like you, I have never been into rock crawling... more of the sand/dirt and trails myself, IMO just more fun....

If you want a buddy to go along next time, drop me a line!

-1987 BMW 528e 5spd e28 - personal Panzer for the daily driven battlefield, just broken in at 300k

-2005 TJ Sport - stuff
Unread 01-22-2006, 09:40 PM   #8
Captain_Jeep

dude i live in palm beach gardens FL and i know what u mean. i desperately need to find some places to go offroading lol. if u guys know of any let me know
Unread 01-23-2006, 05:49 AM   #9
lucasinpsj
2005 LJ Wrangler 

checking in from the east coast of fl. this weekend was definally nice, had the top off and enjoyed it. if you guys like some nasty mud give me a yell, their is 1,000 acre + five minutes from my house that is nothing but trails, sand and mud.
Unread 01-23-2006, 04:37 PM   #10
Achped
1999 TJ Wrangler 

lucasinpjc, how far are you from SR40? I can get to the Ormand Beach area in about 3 hours. I don't know how far that is from you. You may even be closer to I4.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Night Wolf
Really? there are some places in FL? That is pretty cool....

like you, I have never been into rock crawling... more of the sand/dirt and trails myself, IMO just more fun....

If you want a buddy to go along next time, drop me a line!
There are some nice places to go in Clearwater too, you just have to find them...
Unread 01-23-2006, 10:19 PM   #11
Night Wolf
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
lucasinpjc, how far are you from SR40? I can get to the Ormand Beach area in about 3 hours. I don't know how far that is from you. You may even be closer to I4.

There are some nice places to go in Clearwater too, you just have to find them...
Eh, the most extreme off-roading I have done in FL so far was drive onto the beach I don't really expect to do too much more...

I drive a Cadillac Coupe DeVille

Hopefully if all goes well I'll have a Jeep of my own within some time, I have been wanting one for awhile, I then got to test drive an '03 Sport 5spd that I really liked... it made the waiting even worse

-2005 TJ Sport - stuff
Unread 02-04-2006, 07:27 PM   #12
BigPeters

Quote:

At least I know what my stock Jeep is capable of on rocks now (almost nothing).

it helps to know how to drive
[COLOR="RoyalBlue"]Gun Metal Blue Jeep Member #25[/COLOR]
BigPeters is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-04-2006, 07:32 PM   #13
cmallen

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigPeters
it helps to know how to drive
heh but you can't really tell how he was driving on the rocks...although you can usually see if you are going to bottom out before you start but hey if it's the only action this jeep has seen so far, the experience should help later on
cmallen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-04-2006, 10:30 PM   #14
Achped
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Dang, you take one picture of a stock Jeep looking clean and all of a sudden its "the only action this jeep has seen" Don't be jealous of the weather now....

Last edited by Achped; 02-04-2006 at 10:43 PM..

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.