Black Bear Pass Colorado - Page 4 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Trail Reports & Pictures > Black Bear Pass Colorado

Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGFS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectCess Recovery Gear Snatch Tow Strap OffRoad @ ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 12-06-2011, 07:06 AM   #46
tweenerlj
2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by aspjeepguy View Post
I live in Western, NY which is about about 30 hours from Telluride. How can I ensure that if I make the trip I can actually get on the trail? Can I hire a guide service? Are there jeepers out there that I can meet up with and do one of these trails?
You cannot ensure anything with mother nature. Snow is usually clear by late July. Summer rains can create mudslides which can close the trail. All of this is beyond the control of any guides.

However, if you are interested in some company, my club will be holding an event in Silverton Colorado in July 2012. If you would like information, send me an email address via PM and I'll send you a flyer. We cannot assure that mother nature will be cooperative, but this trail as well as many others in the area are on our list to be running.

tweenerlj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-06-2011, 08:52 AM   #47
XJH-007

Colorado Trail Open/Closures

http://bushducks.com/tripreps/passopen.htm

For the most part these are fairly accurate. If all else fails, just call the nearest Ranger Station, they are all real cool to talk to and know what's up in their own backyard.

As far as guides go I suggest against it. They will have you on a schedule. That's one thing you don't want.....having to bypass that side road or old mining town just because he has a date that night.

Do your research and plan your own run, go at your pace. When the time gets closer, you can try to meet a group.

"winging it" is how I found this hike..

http://www.youtube.com/user/LowO2Nat...51/01Iy8flDPck
Tera 4:1 / 4:56's_Elec. Locked D44
**84' CJ7 4"BDS 33's
***02 WJ Overland
XJH-007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-01-2013, 09:09 PM   #48
Caish
1987 XJ Cherokee 

Old thread I know,
But curious if a Stock 99 Grand Cherokee can cover the passes including Black Bear in the area?
Unread 05-01-2013, 09:33 PM   #49
tweenerlj
2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caish View Post
Old thread I know,
But curious if a Stock 99 Grand Cherokee can cover the passes including Black Bear in the area?
A stock Grand would be fine on Blackbear, with the right driver. If you have a problem with heights, I'd suggest warming up on some of the other trails in the area first. Blackbear is not that hard of a trail, it is just awesome in that the descent into Telluride is very steep and frankly looks impossible the first time you experience it. The switchbacks below are very tight and require full attention of the driver.
tweenerlj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-02-2013, 08:41 AM   #50
XJH-007

^^ Agreed.

Do it early in the day, when the weather is suppose to be good, and don't do this as your first trail. I have seen fullsize stock pickups on it....they needed multiple changes in pants by the time they reached Bridal Veil Falls...but they lived to poop another day.

Tera 4:1 / 4:56's_Elec. Locked D44
**84' CJ7 4"BDS 33's
***02 WJ Overland
XJH-007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-08-2013, 02:32 AM   #51
KickRocks
2013 WK 

Looks like such a fun trail.. I'll be looking out for groups form the forum headed up there. I'm down just about any time after July when the pass is opened up.
KickRocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-08-2013, 10:57 AM   #52
ramjett
1970 CJ5 

Umm,looking out my window ,id say rain showers off and on. It's nice to have all these trails in my backyard.
ramjett is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-16-2013, 08:27 PM   #53
PecosRiver
2013 JK Wrangler 

We did it last August and it definitely had a high pucker factor. Got back to the hotel that night and removed the GoPro and found that black bear was not on the camera, but the trip into Telluride after the falls was. I didn't activate the camera and when I thought I was turning it off, I turned it on. Stupid.
PecosRiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-21-2013, 11:01 PM   #54
ramjett
1970 CJ5 

They do have guide services.trails are marked well. Lots of jeepers here. Couple of clubs right here in the forums . I live an hour from the trail head
ramjett is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-22-2013, 01:14 AM   #55
Caish
1987 XJ Cherokee 

I asked about grand, but that deal fell apart, stop we bought a nice clean cherokee classic instead, I know it should be okay.
Just certain cause it is 100% stock, no lift etc.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.