Black Bear Pass Colorado - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Trail Reports & Pictures > Black Bear Pass Colorado

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 04-27-2011, 08:59 AM   #31
MountainMan864
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Doubt Ill be doing Black Bear if I ever go to telluride. I want to do the other famous trails though. Oh how I love scenery.

MountainMan864 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-28-2011, 07:28 AM   #32
1988 YJ Wrangler 

So.....Heading out to Silverton July 1-9 2011, anyone gonna be there and want to show a rookie the tricks of the trade.
5444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-28-2011, 08:19 AM   #33
h2ojeep
1978 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5444 View Post
So.....Heading out to Silverton July 1-9 2011, anyone gonna be there and want to show a rookie the tricks of the trade.
You might be a little early, by about a week or so. High probability that some snow will still be in the passes. Depends on how much snow, snow melt, etc.

I am starting to make plans for sometime after July 15th. Polecat and I ran the trails last year starting on the 17th.

Attached is a photo taken on Imogene July 17, last year.

Last edited by h2ojeep; 04-28-2011 at 08:27 AM.. Reason: spelling
h2ojeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-28-2011, 10:58 AM   #34
Moto4x4
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by h2ojeep View Post
You might be a little early, by about a week or so. High probability that some snow will still be in the passes. Depends on how much snow, snow melt, etc.

I am starting to make plans for sometime after July 15th. Polecat and I ran the trails last year starting on the 17th.

Attached is a photo taken on Imogene July 17, last year.

then again last year it was cold and crappy all spring and didnt really warm up very quick, right?
Moto4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-28-2011, 12:45 PM   #35
av8tr

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Can anyone refer a good place to stay while in town to do Imogene? It will be my family and I, not planning to take camping equipment unless that is the best option.

()_)-()_)-o-)_)

2001 TJ
2007 KJ
2007 Dodge Ram 2500
av8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-28-2011, 09:23 PM   #36
h2ojeep
1978 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moto4x4 View Post
then again last year it was cold and crappy all spring and didnt really warm up very quick, right?
Last year (2010), I am not for sure. However, I have seen a photo taken on 7/20/08 on Black Bear, at the hard switch back where the trail enters Ingram Basin (the first switch back (N37.909 W107.743)traveling west, little less than a mile after the pass summit). The trail was open, but there was considerable more snow then (2008) than when I was there on 7/19/2010.

There are a lot of things that effect the amount of snow. I have seen areal photo (taken in spring, exact date unknown) of Ingram step (at Ingram falls)(N37.922 W107.761) and the creek was running through an ice tunnel; there was no sign if trail passage anywhere.

It is just a "crap shoot" through the first half a July.

Ingram step photo taken 7/19/2010.

h2ojeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-29-2011, 10:13 AM   #37
Cyondios

Hey everyone. I live here in Telluride and Black Bear is one of the best trails you can take. Don't worry too much about it however, as I have seen stock Range Rovers tackle it in Lo-Pro tires. And this year its a toss up to when the passes will open, we had a really dry winter season but have gotten a few feet of snow in April alone so we shall see

Last edited by Cyondios; 04-29-2011 at 11:02 AM..
Cyondios is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-01-2011, 02:29 PM   #38
MPond
Web Wheeler

2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by owtdorz View Post
Last week:
These are the pics coming down into Telluride.
A definate butt puckering trail.
Average time for me was 10 minutes per 1/10 mile up to the Falls.
Awesome pics, thanks for sharing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nwiTJdave View Post
holy crap....my wife and i are planning to head out there next summer...but i will just have to keep these photos hidden from her or else there is no way she will let us do it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by swoll50 View Post
yeah, ill have the same problem. if it looks even somewhat scary she will refuse to do it.
I'm in the same boat. My wife will tackle any obstacle, rock, challenge, etc... But the sharp drop-offs really scare her. So I'm looking for trails in this area that are fun / scenic / challenging, but not sheer cliffs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by av8tr View Post
My family and I are heading to this area in June. If what we experience is half as what these pictures portray, we are going to have a heck of a time. I can't wait. Thanks for sharing.
I'm taking my family to this area in June as well - probably around June 20th. When are you going to be out there?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyondios View Post
Hey everyone. I live here in Telluride and Black Bear is one of the best trails you can take. Don't worry too much about it however, as I have seen stock Range Rovers tackle it in Lo-Pro tires. And this year its a toss up to when the passes will open, we had a really dry winter season but have gotten a few feet of snow in April alone so we shall see
Thanks - that's actually very helpful. We've had TONS of snow this year in California (in the High Sierras), so I wasn't sure what to expect out there, and I know we're going a littler earlier than most people suggest.
Unread 05-02-2011, 06:12 AM   #39
unlblkrubi
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Did you happen to know Captain Jack? My sister was the mayor up in Orphir a few years ago.

Unread 05-02-2011, 07:37 AM   #40
Cyondios

Quote:
Originally Posted by unlblkrubi View Post
Did you happen to know Captain Jack? My sister was the mayor up in Orphir a few years ago.
I didn't know him on a personal level but everyone around here knew Captain Jack. We even named a ski run after him in memorial
Cyondios is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-02-2011, 09:11 AM   #41
unlblkrubi
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I didn't know him on a personal level but everyone around here knew Captain Jack. We even named a ski run after him in memorial
He was my brother-in law. Red Mountain up in British Columbia also has a slope named after him.

Unread 05-02-2011, 11:48 AM   #42
rouxbicon
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Just for reference...dates over the last several years that Black Bear was confirmed open as per Bushducks.com...

6/18/2002, 7/3/2003, 7/8/2004, 7/24/2005, 7/14/2006, 7/13/2007, 7/17/2008, 7/8/2009, 7/1/2010
Unread 12-04-2011, 07:59 PM   #43
aspjeepguy
2004 TJ Wrangler 

subscribed, this is on my bucket list
aspjeepguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-05-2011, 10:10 AM   #44
XJH-007

Black Bear is one of the last passes in that area to open, all the others are plowed typically before Memorial Day. They like to have them open for the deluge of Tourists that come rent jeeps.

IMOP the best "run" is from Lake City to Ouray to Telluride and back. This can easily be done in June(not black bear). There's still tons of snow, but it's been plowed.

Here's a bit better idea of driving it...

Tera 4:1 / 4:56's_Elec. Locked D44
**84' CJ7 4"BDS 33's
***02 WJ Overland
XJH-007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-05-2011, 05:46 PM   #45
aspjeepguy
2004 TJ Wrangler 

I live in Western, NY which is about about 30 hours from Telluride. How can I ensure that if I make the trip I can actually get on the trail? Can I hire a guide service? Are there jeepers out there that I can meet up with and do one of these trails?
aspjeepguy is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.