Black Bear Pass Colorado - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Trail Reports & Pictures > Black Bear Pass Colorado

Rough Country Deals at JeepHut.comEliminate Hood Flutter!!!Introducing MONSTALINERô UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 07-15-2010, 03:46 PM   #16
rouxbicon
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by inmountains View Post
Black Bear isn't too bad but a truck did tumble off of the steps into Ingram Creek last Thursday (July 8).
Any more information on this? Just curious...I came down Black Bear that day (in the rain) around 11am or noon, and saw no sign of it. Must have been after that.

Were they OK?

Unread 07-15-2010, 04:08 PM   #17
inmountains

A cashier in a gift shop in Telluride asked us if the truck was still there. When we inquired, she told us that a truck had slipped off the steps and fell into Ingram Creek, but that no one was hurt. I cannot find a news story on it, as car tow jobs usually don't make the paper.
inmountains is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-03-2010, 08:33 AM   #18
dav5942

1998 XJ Cherokee 

Great shots! Just did it last week, unfortunately my camerawoman/spotter was in no condition to get the shots on the best part.
Unread 08-08-2010, 12:35 AM   #19
swoll50
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by nwiTJdave View Post
holy crap....my wife and i are planning to head out there next summer...but i will just have to keep these photos hidden from her or else there is no way she will let us do it.
yeah, ill have the same problem. if it looks even somewhat scary she will refuse to do it.

2008 Wrangler X - Steel Blue 3.73 - 6-speed - 35x12.50 Procomp Xtreme MTs - Olympic 4X4 Rock bumper - 2" XD Series BB

Blue Jeep Club Member #254
swoll50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-08-2010, 01:37 PM   #20
Jeep89JV
1996 XJ Cherokee 

I won't lie the switchbacks headed down back into Telluride will probably make the girl concerned. First time I was out there it was a blast going across that waterfall.

[I][B]My Build Thread:[/B][/I][url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f177/broke-kid-build-96-xj-1007038/[/url]

[B][I]New Mexico Driving Rules...[/I][/B][LIST][*]As a general rule, the vehicle most in need of a significant amount of bodywork (for which the driver is most likely uninsured) always has the right of way.[*]Never use directional signals when changing lanes. They only serve to give away your next move, causing most NM drivers to speed up and not let you in. In fact, use of directional signals within most large NM city limits is actual illegal.[*]NM law states that at least 50% of all paved surfaces within the state must be under construction at any one time. In all construction zones, at least half of the available lanes must be closed, regardless of whether any actual construction is be accomplished or not. Construction signs shall be regularly repositioned in order to warn drivers about upcoming lane closures immediately after they pass the last exit before traffic backups.
[*]Driving through constructions zones with upcoming lane closures is a popular game in NM. Itís called the "speed up and pass as many cars as you can, then see how close to the lane closure you can squeeze back into traffic before hitting any of the orange construction barrels" game.[/LIST]
Jeep89JV is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-08-2010, 02:01 PM   #21
dav5942

1998 XJ Cherokee 

Actually the switchbacks were duck soup compared to the shale ledge above them!
Unread 04-06-2011, 09:22 AM   #22
Gunner04
2009 JK Wrangler 

My Son, Grandson, Myself and 5 friends came to Ouray last summer ( 2010 ) and rode Black Bear. One of the biggest thrills of my life. My 14 year old Grandson said, " Grandude, we are 4 inches from death!!!!!" We are planning another trip probably next year. My son wants to take his Joiner up Black Bear on the one day allowed. Anyone know what that day is??? Also are anything other than Jeeps allowed on that day???
Gunner04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-06-2011, 11:25 AM   #23
av8tr

2001 TJ Wrangler 

My family and I are heading to this area in June. If what we experience is half as what these pictures portray, we are going to have a heck of a time. I can't wait. Thanks for sharing.

()_)-()_)-o-)_)

2001 TJ
2007 KJ
2007 Dodge Ram 2500
av8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-06-2011, 07:03 PM   #24
h2ojeep
1978 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by av8tr View Post
My family and I are heading to this area in June. If what we experience is half as what these pictures portray, we are going to have a heck of a time. I can't wait. Thanks for sharing.
If you are going in June, you may find that it is impassable due to snow. Black Bear is generally not open until mid July.

Good luck, have a good time.
h2ojeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-06-2011, 08:06 PM   #25
av8tr

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by h2ojeep View Post
If you are going in June, you may find that it is impassable due to snow. Black Bear is generally not open until mid July.

Good luck, have a good time.
Thanks for the heads up. Do you or anyone know if the Imogene Pass trial is typically passable in June? I doubt I'd be able to talk the wife into Black Bear anyhow.

()_)-()_)-o-)_)

2001 TJ
2007 KJ
2007 Dodge Ram 2500
av8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-06-2011, 09:44 PM   #26
h2ojeep
1978 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by av8tr View Post
Thanks for the heads up. Do you or anyone know if the Imogene Pass trial is typically passable in June? I doubt I'd be able to talk the wife into Black Bear anyhow.
IMO, Imogene has a lot more to see, just not the hair rising challenge. As to open??? All of the passes can vary, and there is a web site the Forest service has that gives updates. I will try to get back (quick search and I could not find it)

Corkscrew, Engineers, California, Cinnamon, Opher are good too. I want to hit some of those again as well a Stoney Pass. And just some other good trails without passes too.
h2ojeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-07-2011, 06:39 PM   #27
grogie
Cell Block #4533

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dav5942 View Post
Great shots! Just did it last week, unfortunately my camerawoman/spotter was in no condition to get the shots on the best part.
I can see that. Hell, I'm just glad I'm not the ***** in the passenger seat. I'd need a stiff drink with someone else driving.

Red Jeep Club #345
2006 TJ Sport
2004 KJ Limited
2013 Off-Road Trailer

grogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-09-2011, 07:49 AM   #28
rouxbicon
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunner04 View Post
My Son, Grandson, Myself and 5 friends came to Ouray last summer ( 2010 ) and rode Black Bear. One of the biggest thrills of my life. My 14 year old Grandson said, " Grandude, we are 4 inches from death!!!!!" We are planning another trip probably next year. My son wants to take his Joiner up Black Bear on the one day allowed. Anyone know what that day is??? Also are anything other than Jeeps allowed on that day???
That trip (Black Bear Backwards) is sponsored by the Telluride Rotary Club. More info at the link below. It doesn't look like they have dates for 2011 posted yet, but I think it is usually the last weekend in July each year. You could call them or just check back on the website from time to time.

http://www.telluride4x4.com/trails.htm
Unread 04-09-2011, 09:39 AM   #29
rouxbicon
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by h2ojeep View Post
IMO, Imogene has a lot more to see, just not the hair rising challenge. As to open??? All of the passes can vary, and there is a web site the Forest service has that gives updates. I will try to get back (quick search and I could not find it)

Corkscrew, Engineers, California, Cinnamon, Opher are good too. I want to hit some of those again as well a Stoney Pass. And just some other good trails without passes too.
Bushducks.com has an excellent webpage with status updates on most of the well-known Colorado mountain passes and 4x4 trails. They have information from several years back, so by checking it out, you could get an idea of when each trail was open or passable each year.

http://bushducks.com/tripreps/passopen.htm
Unread 04-26-2011, 09:50 PM   #30
Polecat
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Making plans to go back to Ouray the 3rd week in July. Looking forward to doing Black bear once again.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.