Black Bear Pass Colorado - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Trail Reports & Pictures > Black Bear Pass Colorado

Ledlight bar light locks @ oconee off road 706 534 9955Don't forget the Jeep Forum discount, 10% off!The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!

Unread 07-25-2009, 09:04 PM   #1
owtdorz
2009 JK Wrangler 

Black Bear Pass Colorado

Last week:
These are the pics coming down into Telluride.
A definate butt puckering trail.
Average time for me was 10 minutes per 1/10 mile up to the Falls.

Unread 07-25-2009, 09:04 PM   #2
owtdorz
2009 JK Wrangler 

More

My wonderful spotter and fiance'

Unread 07-25-2009, 09:32 PM   #3
Polecat
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Nice pics. I didn't get to run it last year because it was closed. Next time for sure.
Unread 07-25-2009, 09:41 PM   #4
Jeffro06
October 2012 TJOTM

2006 TJ Wrangler 

That is so freaking cool...scary looking, but cool.

Moab Trails I've done: Onion Creek, Long Canyon, Dome Plateau, Top of The World (2), Fins-N-Things (2), Poison Spider,
Golden Spike, Gold Bar Rim, Hell's Revenge (2), Baby Lion Back, Cliff Hanger, Moab Rim, Kane Creek Canyon, Strike Ravine

Shortcuts to key points in my build: MTRk's OME 2" HD Lift Antirock Skidrow steering box & radiator skids LoD rear bumper
Rokmen Mercenary bumper w/Superwinch Rokmen sliders Skidrow engine skid Rampage Top CB set up
Custom trunk Rokmen 1" Billet spacers JJ track bar Rokmen Adjustable Control Arms Currectlync Steering
Rokmen Trail Corners Metalcloak Overlines Kentrol Hood Latches JK Turn Signals Xenon 4" Flat Flares Hood Decal Duratracs
Derale Tranny Cooler DieHard Factor 55 Thimble Ten Factory Front Chromo Shafts

Get your build sheet here.
Jeffro06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-26-2009, 01:13 PM   #5
ThrillSeeker
1998 ZJ 

Some nice pics there.... Thanks for sharing...
Unread 07-27-2009, 12:32 PM   #6
grogie
M-F: Cell Block #4533

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Nice pictures! Did you get anymore of going around the switch-backs? I want to drive that too... but I think I'd be happier following someone down.

Red Jeep Club #345
2006 TJ Sport
2004 KJ Limited
2013 Off-Road Trailer

grogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-28-2009, 11:58 AM   #7
detroitmurph
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Those are some amazing pics. I was a bit tense just looking at the pics.
detroitmurph is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-28-2009, 01:14 PM   #8
GrimJeeper91
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Been there, done that, but I doubt I'd do it again. Very little room for error on that trail. The pucker factor is freakin' huge. Here's a picture from our trip with rigs driving into what appears to be nothingness...

'91 YJ 4.O, Auto, Rr. D60 w/ 35 Spline Alloy USA Axles & Detriot Locker, Fr. D30 True-Trac, 4.56's, 4.5" Deaver Springs, Bilstein 5100's, 1" BL, Rubi Flares, 35x12.50 MT/R's on MT classic II's, Detroit Locker, Vanco Big Brakes, Booster & Master, Warn 9000XDI, York OBA, AA SYE & TW's DS's, Teraflex Belly Up, Rocker Guards...
GrimJeeper91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-28-2009, 07:03 PM   #9
wjb4000
2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by detroitmurph View Post
Those are some amazing pics. I was a bit tense just looking at the pics.
I agree... those scare the crap out of me. I've always wanted to go there and do that trail, but after seeing how little bit of room for error you have, I'm not so sure anymore. Besides, I'll probably never have a chance to make it out there in the Jeep. Oh well, I'll just have to make do with the pictures you guys post.

Have fun

My Club is http://www.co-jo.webs.com/
wjb4000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-01-2009, 04:26 PM   #10
unlblkrubi
2005 LJ Wrangler 

I was there in Telluride July 17 thru 23 and saw all the Jeeps, unfortunatly I was there for my brother-in-laws funeral in the town park Saturday. Did get to drive Ophir Pass in the Cherokee. Sister lives right at the base of Ophir Pass.

Unread 08-01-2009, 08:16 PM   #11
mrfast
2006 LJ Wrangler 

I just did this trail Monday, Not that bad, but it will help if you have a spotter on the first switch back, after that it's all good. BUT if your afraid of heights or get dizzy looking over the edge

My wife almost freaked out and walked behind the Jeep on that first switch back!
mrfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-01-2009, 10:50 PM   #12
Jeep89JV
1996 XJ Cherokee 

beautiful area, trails are great!

only been there once and it was in a toyota lol! my time will come once i can afford the trip again.
Jeep89JV is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-03-2009, 07:17 PM   #13
nwiTJdave

holy crap....my wife and i are planning to head out there next summer...but i will just have to keep these photos hidden from her or else there is no way she will let us do it.

This is for fighting, this is for fun.
nwiTJdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-12-2010, 09:07 AM   #14
inmountains

Just did Black Bear Road, Imogene and Yankee Boy Basin yesterday. What a great time. Black Bear isn't too bad but a truck did tumble off of the steps into Ingram Creek last Thursday (July 8). Imogene is pretty rough, lots of heavy rains have roughened up the road but the roughest section was the last mile up to the Sneffle's trailhead in Yankee Boy. Not a dangerous road but take the wrong line and you will be thanking God for skid plates. Right before Ouray, coming down from Yankee Boy, we noticed a collection of very fresh Flowers on the side of the road. When we got into town, a clerk told us that a bunch of young people were shooting off fireworks on the Fourth of July and a 21 year old man stepped backwards to get a better view but there wasn't a step to take and he free fell over 100 feet (remember, he was STANDING ON THE ROAD)The Watch Newspapers - UPDATED July 5 7 30 PM Ouray Grieves Over Death of Native Son James Peter While these trails are AWESOME, provide great scenery and will test your Off Roading Skills, THERE IS NO ROOM FOR MESSING AROUND.

We had a great day!
inmountains is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-12-2010, 06:33 PM   #15
grogie
M-F: Cell Block #4533

2006 TJ Wrangler 

^Wow, that is tough. A few years ago a rock came down and hit a guy on the head along that road and killed him while was driving his Jeep.

Red Jeep Club #345
2006 TJ Sport
2004 KJ Limited
2013 Off-Road Trailer

grogie is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.