The Badlands Off Road Park: September 14, 2013 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Trail Reports & Pictures > The Badlands Off Road Park: September 14, 2013

FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectJeep Tweaks at JeepHutSteering and more from Ruffstuff!

Unread 09-15-2013, 12:46 PM   #1
Jeffro06
October 2012 TJOTM

2006 TJ Wrangler 

The Badlands Off Road Park: September 14, 2013

Yesterday a group of us met up at the Badlands Off Road Park for a day of wheeling. One of my 12 year old daughter's, Mallory, rode along with me.

It's a 3.5 hour drive from my house to the Badlands. I always dread the drive, but it's usually worth it....even though I do have to drive another 3.5 hours home...ugh.

We arrived at the park at 0830 (IL time, IN time said it was 0930....but what do they know?)

We met up in the parking lot and got the Jeeps and buggy ready to roll.

My Jeep.

Will

Kevin

A group shot.

A shiny new Rubicon joined us....for awhile.

Tracey

Brad

Another group shot.

First thing we did was head to the quarry and play on some rocks.

After that we headed out on some trails.

Moab Trails I've done: Onion Creek, Long Canyon, Dome Plateau, Top of The World (2), Fins-N-Things (2), Poison Spider,
Golden Spike, Gold Bar Rim, Hell's Revenge (2), Baby Lion Back, Cliff Hanger, Moab Rim, Kane Creek Canyon, Strike Ravine

Shortcuts to key points in my build: MTRk's OME 2" HD Lift Antirock Skidrow steering box & radiator skids LoD rear bumper
Rokmen Mercenary bumper w/Superwinch Rokmen sliders Skidrow engine skid Rampage Top CB set up
Custom trunk Rokmen 1" Billet spacers JJ track bar Rokmen Adjustable Control Arms Currectlync Steering
Rokmen Trail Corners Metalcloak Overlines Kentrol Hood Latches JK Turn Signals Xenon 4" Flat Flares Hood Decal Duratracs
Derale Tranny Cooler DieHard Factor 55 Thimble Ten Factory Front Chromo Shafts

Get your build sheet here.
Jeffro06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-15-2013, 12:47 PM   #2
Jeffro06
October 2012 TJOTM

2006 TJ Wrangler 

There were some things of interest along the way.
This hill required a lot of skinny pedal, and those who were willing to use it (I wasn't) made it.

No skinny was required here....the buggy crawled it with ease.

We made our way towards the creek, by way of the ravine or wedge, and once we exited that we found the normal hill climb and it's bypass blocked by a downed tree.
We turned and went back towards where we had come from, but on a different trail.

You weren't getting up this without a front locker.

We made it back to the creek....which was just a trickle, since there hadn't been any rain in awhile.
We crossed over the creek and did a climb.

Will cresting the top of the climb.

Moab Trails I've done: Onion Creek, Long Canyon, Dome Plateau, Top of The World (2), Fins-N-Things (2), Poison Spider,
Golden Spike, Gold Bar Rim, Hell's Revenge (2), Baby Lion Back, Cliff Hanger, Moab Rim, Kane Creek Canyon, Strike Ravine

Shortcuts to key points in my build: MTRk's OME 2" HD Lift Antirock Skidrow steering box & radiator skids LoD rear bumper
Rokmen Mercenary bumper w/Superwinch Rokmen sliders Skidrow engine skid Rampage Top CB set up
Custom trunk Rokmen 1" Billet spacers JJ track bar Rokmen Adjustable Control Arms Currectlync Steering
Rokmen Trail Corners Metalcloak Overlines Kentrol Hood Latches JK Turn Signals Xenon 4" Flat Flares Hood Decal Duratracs

Unread 09-15-2013, 12:57 PM   #3
Jeffro06
October 2012 TJOTM

2006 TJ Wrangler 

A gathering at the top of the hill.

We lost a few rigs along the way....still not sure why.

After this it was back into the creek and onto the rocks along the way.

After watching Kevin and Brad play on the rocks we made our way down the creek to the area by the quarry pond, which had more rocks for Kevin and Brad.

We then made our way along the quarry rim to Purgatory.
Along the way I accidentally hit the gas and brake pedals at the same time which caused my Jeep to lunge forward then stop suddenly,
which caused my daughter, who didn't buckle up after watching the guys play on the rocks, to bump her head on my windshield, while she was texting.
She didn't hit it hard, and wasn't hurt, but the windshield cracked like a spider web. Lesson learned here, always, always wear your seat belts off road (and on).
You expect things to happen on obstacles, but not while crawling along and less than 5mph, but this proves things can and will happen, at any speed. Buckle Up.

I tried the hardest line I had ever tried in Purgatory, but as far as I know there are no pictures of it....which is par for the course.

Here Kevin watches Brad as he makes things look easy.

Kevin gives it a shot.

I sat and watched Kevin for several minutes, he wasn't having much luck, or making much progress so I left to find some rocks of my own.
I managed to find an obstacle I had never done before, again I'm sure there are no pictures of it, but Tracey did it too.

I then returned to where Kevin was and as I arrived I saw him tip over backwards, fall on to his lid, and roll over onto his side....

Kevin was fine and so was Jeffery...his Jeep.

After we got Jeffery back on it's wheels it fired right up and we headed to the parking lot to give it the once over and eat lunch.

Unread 09-15-2013, 01:14 PM   #4
Jeffro06
October 2012 TJOTM

2006 TJ Wrangler 

After lunch we headed over to the Orange Trail.

Things were going pretty good, for awhile, then I told Kevin I was going to turn left and follow the an orange arrow...which I was pointing at.
I got in my Jeep, turned left, and Kevin went straight. I was a bit confused, as he was right behind me. We then played a game of chase your tail, as we went around in a circle...lol.
We got that mess straightened out and headed on down the trail...but then we lost two more, so we stopped and searched for them.
Once we were all together again I just took the easy way out, to where the big rock, cement piles are.

We headed on down some more of Orange, a section that leads to the rock garden, but before we got there I found some mud....

It was deep and sticky.

While I was winching myself out Kevin got a call from Brad who was off by himself and in need of a rescue.

Kevin and I went to help Brad and the others called it a day.

This is how we found Brad....trust me he's in there.

Brad was high centered on top of horse power hill. I was able to go up a side trail and get positioned to winch him over. It didn't take much.

Of course Brad went right back up....and over this time.

Kevin gave it a shot or three....

A 4bt Cummins doesn't have horse power.

So this was as far as Jeffery made it.

I managed to save another Jeeper, in a TJ, who had ventured off by himself, and was royally stuck.
He had mud up to his knees and his elbows. I
managed to winch him out with ease....lesson learned here, never wheel alone, not even in an off road park.

Our Trip, via Google Maps

We had a great day, with great weather. I wish the Badlands was closer, as the drive just keeps me from going as often as I'd like too.

I'll have a short video of Kevin doing a climb backwards....eventually.

Unread 09-15-2013, 01:43 PM   #5
99TJSahara
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Looks like a fun time, I need to go back to the badlands.
99 Wrangler Sahara-sold
99TJSahara is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-15-2013, 02:54 PM   #6
Jeffro06
October 2012 TJOTM

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99TJSahara View Post
Looks like a fun time, I need to go back to the badlands.
I wish it was as close as The Cliffs is as I like it so much more.

Here's a link to all the pictures I took.

Unread 09-15-2013, 03:29 PM   #7
Jeffro06
October 2012 TJOTM

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Unread 09-16-2013, 05:19 AM   #8
TheHeilis
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Great time, great pictures (us usual) and great weather. It was nice to meet Idiot Magnet from the forum too. A pleasure to wheel with you guys.
White Jeep Club Member #117
TheHeilis is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.