Badlands May 1, 2010: JGW, GLJT and I-ORV - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Trail Reports & Pictures > Badlands May 1, 2010: JGW, GLJT and I-ORV

Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGFS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectCess Recovery Gear Snatch Tow Strap OffRoad @ ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 05-01-2010, 10:09 PM   #1
Jeffro06
October 2012 TJOTM

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Badlands May 1, 2010: JGW, GLJT and I-ORV

A few of us, from various clubs, decided to head out to the Badlands, in Attica Indiana today (Saturday May 1, 2010), for a little wheeling.

I was up at 4am and on the road at 5am. I drive 3 1/2 hours to wheel...which I'm beginning to think is nuts.

The weather was supposed to be rain in the morning and sun and 79 afternoon. I didn't have any rain on the way down, but it was cloudy and cool the entire trip.

First to arrive was TeeJMCD (Great Laked Jeep Thing) then me, Jeffro95 (Jeeps Gone Wild and Indy ORV). TeeJMCD arrived at opening, and I was just a few minutes behind. Once we were aired down, flags on, and all that, we waited around for the others to arrive.

A short time later I recieved a phone call from 442Wrangler, who stated he and his brother 01redtj were still up by Chicago, and would be another 1.5 hours or so.

TeeJMCD and I decided to head to the quarry and see if anyone else was around. We were expecting Shaggy (Indy ORV), but we didn't see his tow rig or jeep anywhere.

There was nobody in the quarry, in fact our tire tracks were the first tracks of the day to go there. Oh, it wasn't raining there, but it had. It was overcast, but conditions were actually near perfect....to me anyway.

TeeJMCD and I decided to hit a trail around the quarry while we waited for the others to show up.

TeeJMCD on "Kevin's Trail"

The mud on the trails was perfect...if that makes sense to you, if it doesn't you should go wheel more often.

Soon after hitting Kevin's Trail my phone rang....it was Shaggy, he'd just arrived. We returned to the lot and hooked up with Shaggy.

Once Shaggy was done bragging about his trip to Moab we headed to the Orange Trail. I asked Shaggy to lead, as he knows the entire Orange Trail, and I don't. TeeJMCD would have just got us lost...you know it's true.

Any of you that have been to the Badlands know that the begining of Orange was moved a while back, and as you make your way to the old begining of Orange you have to climb a big up hill, which can sometimes be a challenge. Well, not anymore...they poured concrete on it...don't ask why, because I don't know. The old entrance to Orange, where you drop down into the revine has concrete now as well. I was a bit upset about these changes.

Shaggy led us all the way through Orange...well TeeJMCD and I cut it just a tad short...we avoided the last bit of rock gardens, but I'm getting ahead of myself.

TeeJMCD getting real close to a tree....ok, maybe he touched it.

TeeJMCD getting stuck. Shaggy tugged him out.

Shaggy leading the way through Orange.

The second half of Orange is way more fun than the first half.

Shaggy hitting one of the rock garden sections on Orange.

TeeJMCD and I didn't have the clearance Shaggy had, so the rock garden we did, fought us both. The first, and last, time I followed Shaggy on the entire Orange Trail I bent my front drive shaft in the rock gardens....so I was a bit nervous this time. I slipped off a rock once and got hung up, but was able to get back under way, without bending anything.

Taking pictures, while driving on Orange isn't the easiest thing in the world.

After completing Orange we decided to do Green....or The Roller Coaster, as I call it. Shaggy led the way once again.

Another close call with a tree.

The tree got a little closer to me.....in fact it ripped my soft top, not real bad, but I'll have to break out the needle and thread, or it's going to get real wet in the back.

At the end of Green is a rock garden....great another rock garden. I need armor....if you haven't figured that out yet. I keep thinking "please oil pan don't hit a rock...."

TeeJMCD in the rock garden exiting Green.

After Green we went to the end of the creek, throught the dunes, and headed back towards the quarry.

At times the creek was pretty deep.

Once we got to the tubes I took the lead. Instead of just following the creek we went along the quarry rim....I have no idea what trail it is, I saw blue and green arrows, but they really didn't mean anything to me.

TeeJMCD climbing a nice little hill, just along the quarry rim.

I led us all the way back down Kevin's Trail and to the quarry.

One of the many puddles on Kevin's Trail. First TeeJMCD.

Shaggy.

Once back at the quarry we decided to take the creek to the tubes. Along the way we visited "The Rock".

Shaggy playing on "The Rock"

Shaggy ended up losing his rear driver side shock trying to get up the ledge. We had to force his spring back in too.

We ended up back at the quarry, where I found my missing phone...it fell on the floor...and noticed 442Wrangler had called, saying he was there. I called him back and he, and 01redtj met us in the quarry.

Rain started to fall, so Shaggy headed back to his tow rig for his doors.

TeeJMCD and I decided to take 442Wrangler and 01redtj down the creek. 01redtj was stock, but I wheel with a stocker all the time, so I figured as long as he had someone in front of him and behind him we'd get him through.

When we got to the tubes I took us back to the quarry, via the rim trail. Things went pretty good. TeeJMCD had gotten his air filter wet earlier, which caused a stall, then he did it again while taking these guys down the creek. 01redtj only had to be tugged once, by me.

01redtj, just about to get the tug.

People who have never wheeled in or with a stock jeep would be surprised to see what they can do. It requires bit more skinny peddal than a modified jeep, but it'll still usually get you there.

442Wrangler on the rim trail.

TeeJMCD on the rim trail.

We again ended up at the quarry. We played around a bit, climbing some walls and such. Shaggy met back up with us, then 442Wrangler and 01redtj had to head back up to the lot. Right after they left, it started raining.

I decided I was ready to go home, I was tired, had seen most of the park...covering about 15 miles, and didn't feel like pressing my luck anymore. It is a long ride home after all.

We passed 442Wrangler and 01redtj on the way to the lot...I motioned for them to follow us, but I never did see them again.

As TeeJMCD and I were airing up....with the now only air hose, there used to be three...Shaggy came rolling in, slowly. Turns out he broke his rear drive shaft. No real issue for Shaggy, since he trailered his jeep.

My Jeep.

TeeJMCD and I stopped so he could fuel up.

Then we headed north to Kentland. Once in Kentland we parted ways.

On the way home I heard my phone, checked it and found a message from 442Wrangler asking for a sparkplug wrench, then he said something about water....so I'll be waiting to hear what that was about.

It was a good day. I don't care for the "improvements" the Badlands has made, so I'm not real sure when I'll go back.

I didn't take as many pics as I usually do, and most of what I did take were taken while I was driving, through my windshield...you gotta do what you gotta do. Once I get the photos loaded to my webpage I'll post a link. There will be a few fuzzy ones....but hey I wasn't even looking through the view finder for most of the shots.

Until next time...

Moab Trails I've done: Onion Creek, Long Canyon, Dome Plateau, Top of The World (2), Fins-N-Things (2), Poison Spider,
Golden Spike, Gold Bar Rim, Hell's Revenge (2), Baby Lion Back, Cliff Hanger, Moab Rim, Kane Creek Canyon, Strike Ravine

Shortcuts to key points in my build: MTRk's OME 2" HD Lift Antirock Skidrow steering box & radiator skids LoD rear bumper
Rokmen Mercenary bumper w/Superwinch Rokmen sliders Skidrow engine skid Rampage Top CB set up
Custom trunk Rokmen 1" Billet spacers JJ track bar Rokmen Adjustable Control Arms Currectlync Steering
Rokmen Trail Corners Metalcloak Overlines Kentrol Hood Latches JK Turn Signals Xenon 4" Flat Flares Hood Decal Duratracs
Derale Tranny Cooler DieHard Factor 55 Thimble Ten Factory Front Chromo Shafts

Get your build sheet here.

Last edited by Jeffro06; 05-01-2010 at 10:24 PM..
Jeffro06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-01-2010, 10:22 PM   #2
nwiTJdave

looks like a blast, warm weather wheeling time finally!

This is for fighting, this is for fun.
nwiTJdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-02-2010, 12:58 AM   #3
WtrHamer97
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Great pictures , looked like an awesome time
Unread 05-02-2010, 08:41 AM   #4
jackbauersmom
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Looks like a good time. Did the badlands do anything else besides the two concrete hills and air hoses that you saw?

indyORV
treadlightly
jackbauersmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-02-2010, 08:46 AM   #5
Jeffro06
October 2012 TJOTM

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackbauersmom View Post
Looks like a good time. Did the badlands do anything else besides the two concrete hills and air hoses that you saw?
No, at least not yet.

I forgot to mention I almost flopped it yesterday. It was a small climb in the quarry, that I've done many times. I got to the top, lost traction and came back down, as I was coming down the front end slid to the driver side, when I hit bottom it became very tippy.....I didn't move for a bit. I ended up being able to back out of it, but it still made my heart flutter.

Moab Trails I've done: Onion Creek, Long Canyon, Dome Plateau, Top of The World (2), Fins-N-Things (2), Poison Spider,
Golden Spike, Gold Bar Rim, Hell's Revenge (2), Baby Lion Back, Cliff Hanger, Moab Rim, Kane Creek Canyon, Strike Ravine

Shortcuts to key points in my build: MTRk's OME 2" HD Lift Antirock Skidrow steering box & radiator skids LoD rear bumper
Rokmen Mercenary bumper w/Superwinch Rokmen sliders Skidrow engine skid Rampage Top CB set up
Custom trunk Rokmen 1" Billet spacers JJ track bar Rokmen Adjustable Control Arms Currectlync Steering
Rokmen Trail Corners Metalcloak Overlines Kentrol Hood Latches JK Turn Signals Xenon 4" Flat Flares Hood Decal Duratracs

Unread 05-02-2010, 10:28 AM   #6
Jeffro06
October 2012 TJOTM

2006 TJ Wrangler 

I finished loading my pics, that aren't that many, compared to other trips, and most were taken while I was driving. You'll have to excuse the fuzzy ones, but at times I wasn't even looking through the view finder.

Badlands: May 1, 2010 - LeiningerPhotos.com

Last edited by Jeffro06; 06-13-2010 at 06:44 PM.. Reason: Need to link the gallery...
Unread 05-02-2010, 10:32 AM   #7
awillard69
2001 TJ Wrangler 

I'm glad you didn't flop it - I wasn't there to see it!

From what you described about the orange trail, it would seem that the park is trying to maintain some high "wear" areas and prevent further erosion. I"m sure there must be better techniques than dumping concrete - not that concrete is cheap!

As for the air hoses, maybe they finally died over the winter and they haven't replaced them - yet?

Did that stocker that joined you have street tires? I bet they had an interesting time based on the soggy looking pictures.

Jeeps Going Wild
Friend of Tread Lightly
AB9YC
awillard69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-02-2010, 10:41 AM   #8
Jeffro06
October 2012 TJOTM

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by awillard69 View Post
I'm glad you didn't flop it - I wasn't there to see it!

From what you described about the orange trail, it would seem that the park is trying to maintain some high "wear" areas and prevent further erosion. I"m sure there must be better techniques than dumping concrete - not that concrete is cheap!

As for the air hoses, maybe they finally died over the winter and they haven't replaced them - yet?

Dis that stocker that joined you have street tires? I bet they had an interesting time based on the soggy looking pictures.
To me there's no need for the cement...they could have mad a bypass around the big climb, for those that can't make it, or when conditions make it impossible for everyone. The old drop in on Orange didn't need concrete, at all...no reason for it imo.

The air hoses all worked last time I was there, this time there was one. I hope they add a couple of more, or it'll be interesting at closing. Onboard air is on my wish list, but not quite there.

The stocker was on street tires. He got stuck once. The mud was really nice actually, you still had plenty of traction, but there was enough mess to make it fun.

This is the hill (taken on a previous trip) I almost flopped on...remember the last time we all tried it?

TeeJMCD didn't get it on video...

Unread 05-02-2010, 10:42 AM   #9
Rossi16
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Yea that first climb in the orange tail was closed last weekend and we seen the concrete poured down it!! we werent even told that it was closed sowe drove all the way back there!! Had to turn around and really want happy bout the concrete def gonna make that climb alot less fun and only 1 airline to pump up alot of tiresmakes it ruff to get aired back up with just the 5 jeeps we had last weekend!! Might have to invest in an onboard air compressor! Glad to see was a safe trip and trails looked lil more fun and challenging!!!
Unread 05-02-2010, 01:13 PM   #10
awillard69
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffro95 View Post
Onboard air is on my wish list, but not quite there.
I picked up a heavy duty truck compressor and use that. Not quite OBA, but it is air and it does work! Check it out as an alternative to a fully integrated solution.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffro95 View Post
This is the hill (taken on a previous trip) I almost flopped on...remember the last time we all tried it?

I remember that hill, I needed to take the bypass. That's a nice shot of you, by the way.

Jeeps Going Wild
Friend of Tread Lightly
AB9YC
awillard69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-02-2010, 01:39 PM   #11
teejmcd
1994 YJ Wrangler 

i did miss it. it was to early in the day lol

Member of CORE4X4.NET
teejmcd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-02-2010, 02:45 PM   #12
Jeffro06
October 2012 TJOTM

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by awillard69 View Post
I picked up a heavy duty truck compressor and use that. Not quite OBA, but it is air and it does work! Check it out as an alternative to a fully integrated solution.
I'm thinking I'm going to have to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by awillard69
I remember that hill, I needed to take the bypass. That's a nice shot of you, by the way.
Yes it is a nice shot....you did good.

Unread 05-02-2010, 03:34 PM   #13
teejmcd
1994 YJ Wrangler 

i need to add starter fluid to the necessary fluid to bring ont he trip i guess. lol hopefuly they got out alright.

Member of CORE4X4.NET
teejmcd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-02-2010, 08:27 PM   #14
yoda13
Force Wheeler

2007 JK Wrangler 

looks like fun trails, but it does always stink when the "improvements" don't go the way you think they should...
2007 White Jeep Wrangler X-auto, black freedom top, 15x8 Pro Comp Rock Crawlers, 33x12.5x15 BFG KM2s, Superchips Flashpaq, 2" OME Spring Lift, Bilsteins, Rusty's Adjustable front and rear trac-bar, JKS Quicker Disconnects, Rusty's adjustable lower control arms (front and rear), PolyPerformance adjustable upper control arms (front and rear), OEM Rubicon Rock Rails, Finishlinewest Stonehenge Series rear bumper, Smittybuilt winch, Body Armor Front High Clearance Bumper w/ KC Highlights mounted, Roadmaster towbar, Valley 2" receiver hitch, Skid Row Engine Transmission skid, sPod switching system, KC Highlights windshield mounted lights, Delta replacement non-quadbar xenon headlamps, and Bestop saddlebags-Member of the United Four Wheel Drive Association and Blue Ribbon Coalition, †John 3:16†

RIP Mrs. yoda13... My life is better for having had you in it and you made me a better man...I can't wait to see you again...I love you always and forever, and for all eternity

If you want to help the sport of off-roading, and protect your right to do so, please visit the Envirobeat
forum...

yoda13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-03-2010, 07:46 PM   #15
442Wrangler
In like Flynn.

2008 JK Wrangler 

Hey Jeff...we never noticed you but called you again after you must have left...

My little brother was driving my Jeep and went through a puddle a little quick and it musta messed up a sensor...well to make a long story short we were in a 3 ft deep puddle stranded and needing a spark plug socket to get out...turns out the KLR was useful and helped shuttle supplies to my stranded Jeep and after almost 4 hours of farting around, we drove it to Lafeyette and repaired it...oh well. It was great having someone who knew the trails and sunday was much better even though it rained!

1998 TJ Sahara Sold
-3.25" RC spring lift, Eagle alloys 125s, 33x12.5x15 Cooper STTs, XRC8 winch with stock bumper mount

1994 YJ SE Sold
-4" RC spring lift, 33x12.5x15 Firestone M/Ts, Eagle alloys 125, and a 4 cylinder to boot

1960 Willys Wagon
-Going to be restored and painted Omaha Orange

"I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth."
-Steve McQueen

Male RN Jeep Club #1
442Wrangler is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.