Badlands 2010-06-10 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Trail Reports & Pictures > Badlands 2010-06-10

JEEP Gear Change Packages From ROCKRIDGE 4WD. We Are DIFFAlloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail

Unread 06-21-2010, 06:07 AM   #1
awillard69
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Badlands 2010-06-19

NOTE: This run was 6/19, not 6/10.

This was a run by several Jeeps Gone Wild members and others at the Badlands Offroad Park in Attica Indiana.

I met up with Chris (myblackyj) and Tom (tdoo72) with his daughter Heather. We made the trip from the NW burbs together.

Several strong storms passed through overnight, making for high water conditions. As we got closer to the park, the various fields were looking like rice patties. The river on the edge of Attica was high, it was going to be a moist day. The weather was beautiful, mid 80's, clear, sunny and breezy - a great day to be outdoors.

We met up with Rossi16 and family, Filthy-beast and his wife, Kevin (ksilovich) and friends, and hit the trails. I was the smallest Jeep in the group for this run. We started off for the quarry.

I wasn't able to do the wall today, the conditions were slick and the top lip now has a hole that I my front tire kept falling into - unlocked, it was not happening on this day.

We headed off to the creek, but I knew the water was going to be high so I rode up to the edge of the creek, then looped around to the tubes and met up there.

Many of the climbs were pristine, meaning that the heavy rains washed them down and made them fresh for climbing.

From there we headed back to the the front of the park to do the Green trail. Chris decided to go up a washed out area... he made it almost to the top when the soft dune-soil halted his progress. I pulled him out so we could go on.

The Green trail is always fun, and especially for people who've not seen it before. During one of the pauses, I staged my lunch.

We headed back to the upper lot for some lunch.

After lunch we headed for the Orange trail, to check out the "changes" we've heard about. On the way in, there was a tree down with park staff clearing trail; we went around it.

The concrete on the big hill at the start really took away the challenge.

Dropping into the Orange.

Overall, it seemed that the trail as a bit groomed. None of the hills were challenging - no ledges or drop offs to negotiate. It seems "they" took a grader to the trails to "easy" them out a bit.

Somewhere on Orange.

The group turned for the swamp, but knowing the wet conditions, I headed for the climb out and waited for the group. Ahhhh, a nice shady spot.

We left Orange and headed for the trail on the west side, pretty much across from the entrance, and looped around behind the dunes. It's a scenic trail, and I've often seen deer. Today was no different. The many holes, and water, made it interesting for me. I had to pick my lines and bypass many of the muddy holes.

We had a husband and wife in a tube buggy join us on the trail, and they tagged along. (sorry, I didn't catch your names, let me know and I'll edit this post)

We exited the trail on the dunes and had some fun. Wide open spaces, lots of view, and a nice breeze.

From the dunes, we headed for the muddy plateau for some slingin'.

Kevin and his passengers...

Kevin

Some of us found out how deep a few of the holes really were.

Kevin tried the same mud hole.

Kevin

Can you say "hydro lock"?

Even Chris tried, but he required some "assistance" - my stocker was up to the challenge.

I decided to call it a day at this point. I said my goodbyes and headed out.

I made it home safely, with no problems.

It took 5 hours to clean up the Jeep on Sunday. But in fairness, I did rotate the tires - that made it easy to clean out the suspension .

If anybody else has pics or vids post them here.

Jeeps Going Wild
Friend of Tread Lightly
AB9YC

Last edited by awillard69; 06-24-2010 at 07:10 AM.. Reason: Cosmetics
awillard69 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-21-2010, 06:33 AM   #2
Jeffro06
October 2012 TJOTM

2006 TJ Wrangler 

More "groomed trails".....wonderful, maybe I'll just go to The Cliffs next time.

Looks like it was a beautiful day. The vid links aren't working.

Moab Trails I've done: Onion Creek, Long Canyon, Dome Plateau, Top of The World (2), Fins-N-Things (2), Poison Spider,
Golden Spike, Gold Bar Rim, Hell's Revenge (2), Baby Lion Back, Cliff Hanger, Moab Rim, Kane Creek Canyon, Strike Ravine

Shortcuts to key points in my build: MTRk's OME 2" HD Lift Antirock Skidrow steering box & radiator skids LoD rear bumper
Rokmen Mercenary bumper w/Superwinch Rokmen sliders Skidrow engine skid Rampage Top CB set up
Custom trunk Rokmen 1" Billet spacers JJ track bar Rokmen Adjustable Control Arms Currectlync Steering
Rokmen Trail Corners Metalcloak Overlines Kentrol Hood Latches JK Turn Signals Xenon 4" Flat Flares Hood Decal Duratracs
Derale Tranny Cooler DieHard Factor 55 Thimble Ten Factory Front Chromo Shafts

Get your build sheet here.
Jeffro06 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-21-2010, 08:59 AM   #3
awillard69
2001 TJ Wrangler 

I fixed my vid links, the interface kept changing the url when I would enter it and it got royally mangled. I think I fixed it, now...

Yes, the weather was nice.

Jeeps Going Wild
Friend of Tread Lightly
AB9YC
Unread 06-21-2010, 09:45 AM   #4
tdoo72
2009 JK Wrangler 

My daughter and I had a blast!
dsc00502.jpg   dsc00504.jpg   dsc00529.jpg   dsc00530.jpg   dsc00533.jpg  

tdoo72 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-21-2010, 10:08 AM   #5
tdoo72
2009 JK Wrangler 

Posin', but I did go over.
dsc00537.jpg   dsc00519.jpg  
tdoo72 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-21-2010, 07:57 PM   #6
Rossi16
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Some amazing pics!!! Was an amazing day and thanks everyone for making it such an enjoyable time!! Thanx Tom for the help out of the mudhole and of course showing us that a jeep can make it completely thru the hole
Unread 06-23-2010, 07:22 AM   #7
HikerX
2014 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by awillard69 View Post
Dropping into the Orange.

Looks like a lot of fun!

When we arrived on the 11th for the Jamboree my 7 y/o asked if we'd be going down that trail, and I thought that was an ATV/bike trail (based on what I saw the day before). Can't wait to get back and explore some of the actual park....once I have my XJ back together.

Were you still around at 5pm when people started showing up for the Jamboree registration?
HikerX is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-23-2010, 10:07 AM   #8
awillard69
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by HikerXJ View Post
Looks like a lot of fun!

Were you still around at 5pm when people started showing up for the Jamboree registration?
This was just last weekend, after the Jamboree. But, no, I was on the road home by about 3:30...

Jeeps Going Wild
Friend of Tread Lightly
AB9YC
Unread 06-24-2010, 06:36 AM   #9
awillard69
2001 TJ Wrangler 

I now realize that the thread is mis-named, it was a run on 2010-06-19, not 06-10!

Jeeps Going Wild
Friend of Tread Lightly
AB9YC

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.